• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does a newbie need supps?

crpaus

Hi all,
I'm new hear so please be nice.

I've just started a bodybuilding program (5weeks deep) to put on some mass and gain strength with the long term goal of winning :) a powerlifting comp later on down the track.

What supps should I be looking at taking (if any)?

I'm currently using ON gold standard whey, creatine monohydrate and a post-workout carbohydrate source of glucose(dextrose).

I'm eating 5 meals a day based on 150-200g protein and 150-200g slow digesting carbs (brown rice, w/m pasta, sweet potato). Plus 1-2 shakes, 1 post workout shake and 1 hobbit (2nd) breakfast shake.

Am I covering all bases?

What are your experiences with some of the local protein manufacturers like:
bulk nutrition,
venom protein,
bioflex,
no bull supplements,
protein direct,
bulk powders,
etc.

P.S.
Also having a multi-vitamin tablet and fish-oil tablets daily.

Just joined over at **************** too so sorry if some of you guys see me twice!

Cheers guys.

Hi Bud,
The protein powder and creatine is sufficient although not absolutely neccesary for you. A multi is neither here nor there if your diet is adequate.

Do not worry about all this slow digesting carbs / protein crap. Just hit your daily requirements of carbs / fat / protein and you'll be sweet.

I would prefer to take zinc over a multi. I don't worry about creatine. Protein supp is good just to help hit your 120g-200g.

Also, don't worry about meal timing or what you eat PWO too much. Just eat big ;)

Yeah mate make sure you are eating right first. When I started I used to take all kinds of different things, not worth the money. Stick with the protein if you need it to hit your macros and anything else is just an add on. I still take fish oil and magnezium/zinc, but the magnesium was recommended by my doc after I had some tests done a while ago.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

No supplements are not needed as long as you eat enough, but supplements can be used for convenience, I am not using any at the moment, apart from a muiltvitamin and some fish oil.

Might have a protein shake once or twice a week when I can not be bothered eating breakfast.

I would ditch that vile tasting overpriced poor quality protein blend you are using in flavour of some quality protein from No Bull or Bulk Nutrients. I prefer No Bull as you can split your 5kg order into 5 different flavours of any combination you like. While BN still refuses to do so.

Last edited:
I would ditch that vile tasting overpriced poor quality protein blend you are using in flavour of some quality protein from No Bull or Bulk Nutrients. I prefer No Bull as you can split your 5kg order into 5 different flavours of any combination you like. While BN still refuses to do so.

Big call mate, i would probably trust Optimum Nutrition over most of the local companies as far as purity to be honest... There is certainly nothing vile tasting about it, and overpriced is another big call

Hi all,
I'm new hear so please be nice.

I've just started a bodybuilding program (5weeks deep) to put on some mass and gain strength with the long term goal of winning :) a powerlifting comp later on down the track.s.

Worry less about your supps and more about your program.

What is it?

Eat to your macro requirements. Whey is good cause it gives alot of protein with relatively few carbs compared to alot of other foods.

Creatine maybe if yoir keen. But definietly not a deal breaker.

The rest is all bullshit.

Big call mate, i would probably trust Optimum Nutrition over most of the local companies as far as purity to be honest... There is certainly nothing vile tasting about it, and overpriced is another big call

So you would trust a company selling you cheap protein at a high price with a fancy label over one actually selling protein??

How can you trust a company who sells a protein powder, but refuses to tell you what is actually in it and in what ratios, read the label mate. Its blend of 4 different proteins in unknown quantities of WPC, and even cheaper milk protein with some (unknown amount as they do not tell you what is in it) WPI thrown in, along with fillers and other questionable ingredients all sold to you at a WPI price.

So your money might buy you 10-15% unknown fillers, 25% cheap milk protein, 25% WPC and 26% WPI and the rest made up of cheap fillers like creatine, lecithin etc

Well taste is subjective I guess, but the last lot of ON Protein I bought (Rocky Road) tasted vile and ended up as land fill (probably the best place for it really).

Must have supplements...

Chicken steak fish & eggs bishes...

Veges for micros

Pizza and icecream for awesomness!!!

4 litres of milk a day to be a fatty!!!

tumblr_l63vn8f4vw1qckq2co1_400.jpg

The man that stood for this statue did not have steroids, creatine, protein, no-explode or any other nonsense

So you would trust a company selling you cheap protein at a high price with a fancy label over one actually selling protein??

How can you trust a company who sells a protein powder, but refuses to tell you what is actually in it and in what ratios, read the label mate. Its blend of 4 different proteins in unknown quantities of WPC, and even cheaper milk protein with some (unknown amount as they do not tell you what is in it) WPI thrown in, along with fillers and other questionable ingredients all sold to you at a WPI price.

So your money might buy you 10-15% unknown fillers, 25% cheap milk protein, 25% WPC and 26% WPI and the rest made up of cheap fillers like creatine, lecithin etc

Well taste is subjective I guess, but the last lot of ON Protein I bought (Rocky Road) tasted vile and ended up as land fill (probably the best place for it really).

Sounds like your quoting the BN thread from a while back. Mate i get what your saying and if it was some ebay protein company or some other newbie company selling "cheap" protein i wouldnt have commented on what you said but ON Gold standard is a staple protein in the industry, Optimum nutrition are a massive well respected company that isnt a "cheap alternative" they were around before BN were mate.

As far as taste thats a personal preference, i love BN protein and the taste and buy it myself but i dont believe in bashing any company that hasnt been proven to be false. I havent seen anywhere where ON Gold standard has been proven to be bad protein powder...

Worry less about your supps and more about your program.

What is it?

Eat to your macro requirements. Whey is good cause it gives alot of protein with relatively few carbs compared to alot of other foods.

Creatine maybe if yoir keen. But definietly not a deal breaker.

The rest is all bullshit.

Thanks guys.
The program I'm following is Kris Gethins 12 week daily video trainer (a video to watch before each workout).
Bodybuilding.com - 12 Week Daily Trainer With Kris Gethin!

I've found the program pretty fun and challenging (especially leg days where you consider using the disabled toilet for a week afterwards!)

I've put 1.5inches on my arms in 5 weeks!!! (14inch guns lol) :cool:

This is the 'diet' plan, he recommends 200g of protein per meal (grams of meat not actually macro content) and 200g slow digesting carbs.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/docs/2011/kris-gethins-full-diet-plan.pdf

But the supp plan seemed a little excessive:
Pre-workout, BCAA's, Vitargo (carbohydrate), whey protein, casein, thermogenic, creatine, multi-vitamin and fish oil.

I don't know if this is legit or just a marketing ploy from bodybuilding.com.

Thanks!
All the guys at the gym raved about ON so I thought I'd give it a shot. Got it from Suppsrus ebay site ($155/4.5kg) and thought I was onto a winner.

But a quick google search brought up bulk nutrition and bioflex (thinking they're the same company because of the same address, ABN, etc. Don't know why the difference in price and postage for what seems like the same stuff?!):confused:

Trying to put on size cleanly and don't want all the soy lecithin and fillers and crap.

So what about these local guys? Seems like they're legit and you guys have a pretty high opinion of them (and have been around long enough to know what works and what ends up getting pissed down the dunny along with my hard earned cash.)

Btw, Stats:
Bit over 6'2"
Currently 84kgs
17% body fat (5 weeks ago at start of program)
Workout 4-5 times a week and light cardio for 30mins each day.

Pre-workout, BCAA's, Vitargo (carbohydrate), whey protein, casein, thermogenic, creatine, multi-vitamin and fish oil.

They are in the business of selling supplements.
Of course they will go to any lengths to sell you supps. :eek:

I'm not really a fan of newbies taking supplements as early as his 1st few months. I would focus more on my diet and workout regimen. If after a month or two you notice a significant change or improvement then who needs supplements? Try the natural way first. Don't rush yourself.

Thanks guys.
The program I'm following is Kris Gethins 12 week daily video trainer (a video to watch before each workout).
Bodybuilding.com - 12 Week Daily Trainer With Kris Gethin!

I've found the program pretty fun and challenging (especially leg days where you consider using the disabled toilet for a week afterwards!)

I've put 1.5inches on my arms in 5 weeks!!! (14inch guns lol) :cool:

This is the 'diet' plan, he recommends 200g of protein per meal (grams of meat not actually macro content) and 200g slow digesting carbs.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/docs/2011/kris-gethins-full-diet-plan.pdf

If your goal is to win a powerlifting comp disregard that shit you need to start reading ripptoe, or get on something like bill starr 5x5. That bb.com program is shit stain.

There is a good beginners sticky on here by ptc also a worthy program and general philosophy (eat, lift, profit)

Sounds like your quoting the BN thread from a while back. Mate i get what your saying and if it was some ebay protein company or some other newbie company selling "cheap" protein i wouldnt have commented on what you said but ON Gold standard is a staple protein in the industry, Optimum nutrition are a massive well respected company that isnt a "cheap alternative" they were around before BN were mate.

As far as taste thats a personal preference, i love BN protein and the taste and buy it myself but i dont believe in bashing any company that hasnt been proven to be false. I havent seen anywhere where ON Gold standard has been proven to be bad protein powder...

Not quoting an BN thread, just reading the label, ON is the same as most other glossy label US companies, they sell a 'proprietary blend', meaning they basically put anything in there and they do not tell you what is in there and in what quantities, and they charge extra for the privilege, so there is no guarantee of what you get when you buy the big glossy bag of ON protein, you have no idea what you are actually taking, and the company making the stuff does not disclose what is in it.

You also get very expensive (to your wallet) anti caking agents, thickeners, additives that help dissolve the protein, additives to help mix ability etc etc, none of which are what you actually need, all you need is WPI or WPC protein powder.

PS I do not even buy BN protein powder as I prefer NoBull personally, however would recommend either one over the ON Proprietary blend.

Some interesting reading here explaining it further:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/the-truth-about-proprietary-blends-in-nutritional-supplements/

Or if you don't like reading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3syPO5hcWQ

Last edited: