• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does Olympic weightlifting build strength?

There is a certain user on here who's training journal I have been following for a while now to see the outcome, he trains primarily for olympic weight lifting, even entered a few comps, and the training he does is tailored around this, however he is very very very weak, and doesn't seem to be getting stronger anytime soon, unless, imo, he was to change the way he trained, I don't see that changing.

From my own training experience, dabbling with the olympic lifts every now and then, I'd say that to get good at olympic lifts you need to practice them so you become proficient at the lift, and you need to train to build strength via back squat/front squat, and pulls, so that you can actually move the weight and be explosive. Simply doing the olympic lifts is not enough to build the strength you need. I have come to this conclusion by analysing the results from my own training and that is how I would approach it to get my olympic lifts up. luckily i'm not an olympic lifter and don't have to the time needed to dedicate to that :p

/2c
100% in agreement.

Fadi.

Powerlifts are very similar to oly lifts in the sense you need to move the bar as fast as you can.
The velocity of the bar may be different, but everybody is trying to move that bar......... FAST.

Exactly, I mentioned this earlier in the thread lol. "You cannot move a max weight slowly you move it as fast as possible"

i think this is a new school of thought (oni) v the traditional school of thought (fadi) have a read of robert roman 'training of a weightlifter'.

"There is no correlation between the ability to display great strength and the ability to display it quickly".

"One can possess great strength but at the same time, not have the skill to realize it quickly"

"The single maximum tension method develops the ability to concentrate neuromuscular effort and produces a larger effect in the development of absolute strength than the other methods".

"The volume of squats front and back in both competatory and preparatory periods is on average 27% for low class athletes and 20% of the general volume of ms."

He goes on to say. pressing exercises like bench and push press are done to increase jerk/press ability

Clean pulls/other pulling exercises are done to increase the speed of the floor, NOT deadlifts.

Unfortunately it makes no sense at all to display max effort in deadlifts and what not when your trying to acheive a higher clean and jerk. the reason for this is your time is better spent in doing clean pulls and hang pulls.

the point regarding max tension/max effort above is in the context that weightlifter should use higher loads and a 1rm in the snatch instead of doing 90% for multiple reps... as a 120kg snatch x 3 does not equate to 122.5kg x 1... due to the fact that muscular endurance is created.

then this:
Starting Strength: Article

clearly, a max effort deadlift should only be done sparingly given the potential risk of injury. however, i believe it is up to the individual and when it comes down to it, the majority of people will benefit more from doing weightlifting specific excercises like clean pulls than deadlifts.

however, when athletes are less developed, overall strength training for the deadlift, squat and bench will definitely help (the clean more than the snatch).

there will be transfer, but when the trainee becomes more advanced, i believe the program should be shifted to a more weightlifting orientated structure given their goal is to weightlift and increase their clean and jerk/snatch. this is not to say they wont deadlift, but when they will do it less often with more weight compared to weightlifting.

essentially, it comes down to the individual. the snatch and the clean and jerk are the highest bang for your buck exercises you can do in the gym regarding watts and energy if i remember correctly.

hence, there should be a balance of all 5 (cj/snatch,b,s,d) or more towards weightlifting, given it is bio-mechanical and requires a lot more expenditure.

if you are using it as general fitness, healthy and what not, an even balance across everything will ensure you get maximum benefits possible.

so weightlift, powerlift and do cardio so your body is in balance and will not break down.

if you gear towards powerlifting, your body will be more prone to injuries like lower back issues, pec tears etc. your muscles will be stiffer and you will be more prone to postural deficiencies if you want to call it that

solely weightlifting is more about the joints than anything.

cardio means you get no strength and muscular development but possess a high ability to move quickly for short and long periods depending on your anaerobic and aerobic systems. chucking this into a weightlifting/powerlifting program is essential to maintain overall health in day to day activities like your posture and recovery etc i believe

combine all 3

in summary, weightlifting does build strength. there is nothing more stronger than cleaning a weight and lifting it above your head.

deadlifts aid the clean but should not comprise of a high % of your program given the risk to injury and the fact there is not complete transfer along with the fact you can go as slow as you want off the floor, but only need speed when it comes to the triple ext.

a good solid squat will give your body the ability to handle heavy weights off the floor, you do not need to deadlift to realise this.

more specific weightlifting technqiues like clean pulls and hang pulls and varying the loads is more beneficial to a higher clean and jerk which will make someone stronger.

doing a balance of weightlifting and powerlifting, will ensure that you receive benefits in both fields.. the split is up to the individual, but it is important to note, a squat (aids the catch) and bench (aids the jerk) will aid the weightlifting more than the deadlift, so your program should reflect this.

my 2c.

and for sticky and oni, you only explode in speed in the olympic lift of the clean when you reach mid thigh approx commonly known as the triple extenison.. coming off the floor is very slow.. if you look at rippetoes explanation of a string and a weight plate..

as for powerlifting, you do not start off the floor slow, you aim for a constant speed which is as high as you can achieve throughout the movement..

if anything, the reduction in the deadlif total to the clean total illustrates how demanding th weightlifting movements are.

Last edited:
i think this is a new school of thought (oni) v the traditional school of thought (fadi) have a read of robert roman 'training of a weightlifter'.

"There is no correlation between the ability to display great strength and the ability to display it quickly".

"One can possess great strength but at the same time, not have the skill to realize it quickly"

"The single maximum tension method develops the ability to concentrate neuromuscular effort and produces a larger effect in the development of absolute strength than the other methods".

"The volume of squats front and back in both competatory and preparatory periods is on average 27% for low class athletes and 20% of the general volume of ms."

He goes on to say. pressing exercises like bench and push press are done to increase jerk/press ability

Clean pulls/other pulling exercises are done to increase the speed of the floor, NOT deadlifts.

Unfortunately it makes no sense at all to display max effort in deadlifts and what not when your trying to acheive a higher clean and jerk. the reason for this is your time is better spent in doing clean pulls and hang pulls.

the point regarding max tension/max effort above is in the context that weightlifter should use higher loads and a 1rm in the snatch instead of doing 90% for multiple reps... as a 120kg snatch x 3 does not equate to 122.5kg x 1... due to the fact that muscular endurance is created.

then this:
Starting Strength: Article

clearly, a max effort deadlift should only be done sparingly given the potential risk of injury. however, i believe it is up to the individual and when it comes down to it, the majority of people will benefit more from doing weightlifting specific excercises like clean pulls than deadlifts.

however, when athletes are less developed, overall strength training for the deadlift, squat and bench will definitely help the clean more than the snatch.

there will be transfer, but when the trainee becomes more advanced, i believe the program should be shifted to a more weightlifting orientated structure given their goal is to weightlift and increase their clean and jerk/snatch. this is not to say they wont deadlift, but when they will do it less often with more weight compared to weightlifting.

essentially, it comes down to the individual. the snatch and the clean and jerk are the highest bang for your buck exercises you can do in the gym regarding watts and energy if i remember correctly.

hence, there should be a balance of all 5 (cj/snatch,b,s,d) or more towards weightlifting, given it is bio-mechanical and requires a lot more expenditure.

if you are using it as general fitness, healthy and what not, an even balance across everything will ensure you get maximum benefits possible.

so weightlift, powerlift and do cardio so your body is in balance and will not break down.

if you gear towards powerlifting, your body will be more prone to injuries like lower back issues, pec tears etc. your muscles will be stiffer and you will be more prone to postural deficiencies if you want to call it that

solely weightlifting is more about the joints than anything.

cardio means you get no strength and muscular development but possess a high ability to move quickly for short and long periods depending on your anaerobic and aerobic systems. chucking this into a weightlifting/powerlifting program is essential to maintain overall health in day to day activities like your posture and recovery etc i believe

combine all 3

my 2c.
I thank you for your effort, it's much appreciated.

Fadi.

Yes, I concur.

Two factors for sport: skill and conditioning (including power).

Besides obvious need for maximal strength in sports such as powerlifting and olympic lifting, although latter requires much more ability to exert power, i believe best tests to measure improvement are basic standing vertical and standing long jump (done strictly).

When I was sprinting, and doing required specific work, I never failed to do a pb when standing long jump went up. It was the same with others i oberved.

Having said that, i once saw a champion bodybuilder do a 90cm standing vertical, and he hardly did explosive training in the gym.

Had massive quads though, and did some outside sport activity.

I have been reading this thread with interest since getting into Olympic lifting

I did cringe at some of the way posters responded disrespectfully to Fadi because correct me if i'm wrong, he is the only one who has 'been there and one that'

The only thing i wanted to add is there are many ways to skin a cat, even at the elite sporting level.

Freddie Roach does not train boxers either physically or technically, the same as Floyd Mayweather Snr but both have produced champions

There surely would be a few different training protocols to achieve elite levels in olympic lifting as well. Doesn't mean one person is right and another person is wrong, they just chose different paths that's all