• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Drop Deads

Why the rush to pull 200kg in 5 weeks, when you're only at 160kg now? If you were at 190kg now, I can understand...

It's a marathon, not a sprint. :)

MickiD's advice was perfect.A 160kg deadlift is novice level, dont go looking for advanced programs, pull heavy once a week.

Chasing a long shot goal will leave you open to injury, and yours is a long shot.

How much have you added to your deadlift in the last 5 weeks?

First of all, 160kg might be the max. Ive lifted, but I know I can lift more.

5 weeks ago my max was 150kg.

I have two problems, one is off the floor, the other is confidence/dealing with heavy loads.

I had both these problems too. I failed 160kg three times (didn't get off the floor) 2 weeks before the WA State titles. I wasn't very confident and didn't feel comfortable with the deadlift.

At the State titles i managed 175kg just because i realised the intensity the deadlift requires. I also changed my technique on the day a bit to use more legs.

A few months later I actually feel a lot more comfortable with deadlifting, thanks to a deadlift technique which suits my strengths and sticking to a consistent program and following it through for the past few months. PPP also gets me ready for the 1RM lifting by doing heavy triples, doubles etc.

So yea just repeating what everyone says, definitely deadlift more. just a normal conventional deadlift. Get pumped for every deadlift session and be confident you're going to pull it off the ground. Pull it as fast as you can without jerking it. I'm sure after a few weeks you'll get the gist of it.

Why the rush to pull 200kg in 5 weeks, when you're only at 160kg now? If you were at 190kg now, I can understand...

It's a marathon, not a sprint. :)

Very well said Dancelot, Paullie mate you don't want to risk another injury as a result of your greediness for a 200kg deadlift in 5 weeks. Sorry i can't help much with what to do for the next 5 weeks, perhaps try normal deadlifting twice a week, increase by 5kg each session, do 3 reps 3 sets. You did 150kg 3x3 on Saturday which is a great start. Remember get PUMPED for every deadlift session!

Keep in touch mate.

PS: coming to the Pit anytime soon again? perhaps we could critisize each other's techniques im sure that'll help both of us. :)

My current program has a 3x3 deadlift in on Saturday, I suppose I was merely trying to add assistance work that will help me.

Might come to the pit in a few weeks mac, but I'm a bit reluctant because your a no show :p.

Im the same as you, im weak off the floor like in any lift making yr weak points stronger will automatically bring up yr lifts.

1. On yr warm up sets stand on a 20kg plate making the bar lower. In time it will give you great pop up off the floor. you dont have to do this every week just change it around.

2. Working sets only thing you got to do is just pull from the ground stop start stop start. maybe about 2 or maybe 3 working sets of 4-5 reps heavy as possible.

3. Rack pulls probably my best exercise but I dont do them every week because they do make you tired and catch up on you.

4. Form is so inportant, Once yr back starts to bend for one it starts to get dangerous (this is different in a suit) and you cant lift as much.

Paullie,

I'd go with something like Dan has mentioned above however for you at this particular point in time I wouldn't be too concerned about the rack pulls just yet you need to keep it simple and do as many full ROM reps as you can...warmup with deficit deads then do your working sets full rom...you may also like to do your working sets as walk away singles ie approach the bar do a rep step away from the bar, re-focus approach the bar do a rep, rinse repeat. Once you've done your last working set you can either do a drop set of say 80kgs for max reps (aim for 8-12) or 8 sets of triples with 100kgs with 90 secs between sets.

Increasing your squat will also develop your pull off the floor provided that you are using your legs when pulling.

Paullie,

If its any consolation, I'm weak off the floor too mate. I can squat 140, but my dead is only 152.5. Something's up. But great advice above. I'm going to do my PPP warmup sets on a 20kg plate as deficit deads, then do my heaviest 1 or 2 sets full ROM. Tonight I should be pulling a new PB of 155 in week 10 of my 160 PPP programme. Looking forward to it, will be tough but can't wait.

Again, many thanks to Markos and all the great crowd here at AusBB. In the last 12 months I've shifted to a powerlifting type programme using PPP and can't believe the difference from my previous "softcocking" type fluff programme. Wish I'd done this in my teens...

Cheers,
Mike

Mike I think you just need chalk. earlier this year I did some gym stuff at the uni gym without chalk and i struggled big time. i couldn't do 160x5. the next week at home i did 170 for 5 with chalk so much easier.

And to Paulie, its good that your experimenting with different dead variations. you may find one that helps alot and ones that do nothing, but at least you'll know. I think that once your able to heavy squats again your dead will shoot up.

Increasing your squat will also develop your pull off the floor provided that you are using your legs when pulling.

from time to time I have wondered about the 'carry over effect' from sq's to dl's.

Interesting thread. I like the idea of standing on 20's in the warm up sets.

One of the biggest problems with deadlifts (problem, or opportunity, however you see it) is that it starts from a complete stand still, unlike the bp or sq, where you've got some motion to work with.

Awesome advice rolling in now.

On Saturday I do a 3x3 on 25kg bumpers which are 8cm, then I do 3x3 normal deadlifts.

I like to keep the trap bar deadlifting in there because it really focuses me on leg drive, especially since I cannot squat heavy yet.

I've ditched the drop deads, Ill keep doing rack pulls and see how I go.

Then Wednesday I do one set of UDLs of 34cm to max reps.

Thats enough pulling I think.

Last edited:
sorry for a late question...

are drop deads just that, take it out from the rack, let the weight down then pick it up? It sounds like rack pulls.......i'm a bit confussed. Sorry for the ignorance.

Powerbuilder, you take it from the rack then perform full ROM deadlifts but bounce the weight off the ground then you rack the weight at the top of the lift

well thats what i gathered from watching the video

As the boys above say just get plenty of full ROM deadlifts in and bring your squat up.

Doing high bar, deep olympic style squats for assistance work will not do you any harm.

Sorry if I missed it, but how do you pull? Sumo or Conventional? I found a wider stance powerlifting style squat will help a Sumo pull more than your good 'ol Oly style squat.

Rest of the info is solid. Deadlift more to get better and Deadlifting. I used to be weak off the floor. Just pulling from the floor and completely unloading each rep (like the walk aways, just you don't walk away) helped tremendously.