• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Equipment - Help me decide

Your flexibility will improve. If you want to increase it alot, look up thomas kurz's stretching scientifically.. I could do the splits after 2 months, before that I couldn't touch my toes

Your flexibility will improve. If you want to increase it alot, look up thomas kurz's stretching scientifically.. I could do the splits after 2 months, before that I couldn't touch my toes

Thank you very much i will look that up.

About 600Kgs of equipment was delivered this morning. Its going to be a long day at work waiting to go home to put it all together.

Fingers crossed everything is in working order and there are no mishaps like missing or damaged bits :(

Time will tell.

I unpacked the 1500lbs rated bar, and damn its solid and heavy. hehe, much heavier than my old standard bar :p

Well we are about 80% done and guess what ?? I'm officially a farktard !

I won't be doing any chin ups on this beast as the top bar touches the roof. Opps. I did not even think for a second that it would not fit. What a dickhead.

O well. Shit happens to arseholes :p

Pic's will be up later tonight.

There were a number of scratches and scuffed paint and even some rust on some of the parts. And they were on parts that were not exposed to the outside of the box so they must have been blemished before packaging. I think im just in a grumpy mood now, sorry guys. This is taking a while to put together.

Geez, a couple of scratches and minor paint blemishes I could live with but rust is unacceptable on a brand new product. Could be an out for you.

You might want to consider exchanging it for their other rack which is 221cm high compared to your 244cm rack. The chinup bar on the other one can also be assembled upside down if your ceiling height is still an issue at 221. Doing it this way, I reckon your chin bar would be around 190-200cm. That would make it usable in any room.

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/1-Package-Deal-_-Power-Rack-with-high-low-pulley--+-ASFID-bench-+-Olympic-bar-+-145kg-Olympic-weights-$1450/528.htm

Instead of the chin bar looking like this: /-----\ you assemble like this \-----/. You save quite a few cms, although you can't do wide grip.

Don't under-estimate the value of chins. I'd be mighty pissed off if I was unable to do them.

For some reason that link above doesn't want to work for me. Here is the same rack, without the package deal, and minus hi-low cable pulley.

MMPR Power Rack

Mine was in similar condition although most of it was caused during transit as the boxes were damaged too. Mine was also left out in the rain for a couple months after we moved house, still in the same condition so they are very tough!

Meh I'd be pissed too if mine had rust on it already

post pics when you're done. is it possible to turn the chin up bar upside down? I know on muscle motion racks you can.. but then you can't do wide grip pull ups

Thanks for the concern and suggestions guys. Took us agers to get it set up.

Had some trouble trying to get the uprights.... well properly upright. They still aren't perfect which makes it hard to move the safety rails. You have to jam them a bit in there, and they can be very difficult to get out as its very tight.

Here are some pics to look at. We didn't get a chance to set up the bench. A job for another day.

P9160227.JPG

P9160230.JPG

P9160231.JPG

You can see the mark on the roof where the upper part didn't quite fit *blushes*. So we took it off and turned it upside down. I can still do pull ups on it, but I have to bend at the knees. O well, better than nothing.

P9160233.JPG

P9160234.JPG

P9160235.JPG

You'll want to be careful about that window so close to your rack. I was once lifting without collars on the bar, miscalculated the weights at one end and a 15kg plate fell off and smashed into the side wall of my garage. There is still a black rubber mark there. Good thing it wasn't a glass window.

Edit: Setup looks good, you'll be sweet with that. Rust doesn't look too bad. A good lesson learned for next time mate - think measurements before purchasing.

Last edited:
You'll want to be careful about that window so close to your rack. I was once lifting without collars on the bar, miscalculated the weights at one end and a 15kg plate fell off and smashed into the side wall of my garage. There is still a black rubber mark there. Good thing it wasn't a glass window.

Edit: Setup looks good, you'll be sweet with that. Rust doesn't look too bad. A good lesson learned for next time mate - think measurements before purchasing.

Thanks for the advice mate, what a duffer hey.

Every other room in the house has a roof that is 2.7m tall. It didn't occur to me that the downstairs room was different. Opps.

Ill have to evaluate if the rack is too close to the window. It seems alright, but it may turn out that it is a problem and ill have to unassemble and reassemble it :(

So do you guys think the rust, chips, scratches, missing paint etc. is just part and parcel with sort of thing? Should I just accept it or should I ask them about it ?

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention the instructions are crap. We had to keep coming back to the pictures we could find on the net to see where some of the bits went etc.

I saw that rack in the flesh and it looks awesome!

Really solid & indestructible.

Have you contacted the seller to let them know about the rust? That way there is a record if anything breaks & hey you might get a discount on your next purchase! Nothing ventured nothing gained.

How was your first workout at home?
Posted via Mobile Device

Its definitely heavy duty!

Good idea. Ill contact them sometime in the next couple days. Im a bit busy at the moment.

The workout was putting the thing together... which finished at 2AM. Havent done any weights yet though.

Looks like I'm going to have to take it apart and move it. As the guy in this thread said its a bit too close the window/wall.

I saw that rack in the flesh and it looks awesome!

Really solid & indestructible.

Have you contacted the seller to let them know about the rust? That way there is a record if anything breaks & hey you might get a discount on your next purchase! Nothing ventured nothing gained.

How was your first workout at home?
Posted via Mobile Device

I like your thinking!!! :cool:

Rust is something you can't reverse, can't get rid of, it's not just a scratch or mark you can wipe off and forget. If it keeps rusting the whole rack isn't as strong and could collapse one day (on the extreme end of the scale).

Give 'em a call i say.

In saying that, i'd still think your rack with rust is much stronger than my normal Muscle Motion Power Rack ;)

Mine also had a bit of rusting where the welding was like that, nothing too bad. Hasn't spread yet so yea. Also had some scratches on the powder coating, which I don't really care about. It's going to get a lot more scratched once you start bashing the bar around it.

Try getting the uprights more upright, the safeties shouldn't be hard to get out..

Oh and you might want to move the rack more into the middle of the room. 2-3 guys should be able to lift it . Will be a pain in the ass loading the weights, and you don't want a broken window.

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions.

Try getting the uprights more upright, the safeties shouldn't be hard to get out..

Can I ask how? We tried for hours last night to get them more upright, but couldn't figure out how.

The smaller uprights are completely upright, but the larger ones lean slightly forward. I'm not entirely sure why.

Hi,

It's Adrian here from Gym Direct.
Got your email and will answer those issues soon.

To get the back posts upright, you may have to loosen off all the bolts in that area and set the uprights into the right position, then retighten in the right sequence.
The connector plate bolt holes should be slotted, not just a round hole, so there is some movement available.

When you assembled the rack, did you put all bolts in first, but leave them loose and then gradually tighten all around?
If you start tightening only one area first, racks can get out of square and you can't straighten them unless you loosen all bolts and start gradually tightening again.