• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Equipment - Help me decide

Hi,

It's Adrian here from Gym Direct.
Got your email and will answer those issues soon.

To get the back posts upright, you may have to loosen off all the bolts in that area and set the uprights into the right position, then retighten in the right sequence.
The connector plate bolt holes should be slotted, not just a round hole, so there is some movement available.

When you assembled the rack, did you put all bolts in first, but leave them loose and then gradually tighten all around?
If you start tightening only one area first, racks can get out of square and you can't straighten them unless you loosen all bolts and start gradually tightening again.

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your reply. We tried to get everything finger tight and then come back later. Once tightened it seemed to pull itself slightly out of alignment which makes the safety rails really hard to get in. We tried many different combinations of the moving the uprights by changing the position in the plate bolt slots. Not really sure what keeps pulling it out of alignment. If the floor is not perfectly flat (I'm not sure, I'll check tonight) would that have any bearing on it? I wouldn't have thought so but thought I would ask.

If the floor were slightly out of level, it should not make much difference.
As you say the front posts are plumb, so the rear posts should be too.

This is what I would do based on what you have explained so far:
  1. Loosen all bolts in these locations: where the 2 front posts bolt down to the base frame, where the rear posts bolt down to the base frame, where the plate holder posts bolt down to the base frame and connect to the rear posts and the 2 crossbeams which join the front and rear posts.
  2. Move the front posts as far forward as possible, as if these are towards the back, they may be pushing the base of the rear posts back via the crossbeams, causing the rear posts to lean forward. You can then tighten the front posts down as hard as possible.
  3. Then tighten the crossbeams connecting the front and rear posts. This will bring the base of the rear posts forward as far as possible. When connecting the crossbeam to the rear posts, I would only tighten the bottom 2 holes at first, leave the top 2 holes loose for now. Dont anchor the rear beams down to the base plate, they can just float for now and can be the last step.
  4. Play around with the weight plate holder posts and try to get the rear posts plumb, or even leaning slightly back if possible in case it pulls back when you tighten everything up. Gradually tighten the weight plate holder posts while trying to keep the rear posts in the correct position.
  5. Finally tighten the bottom bolts of the crossbeam to the rear posts and bolt the rear posts down.
Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks. Ill give it a go this weekend. I plan on taking the unit apart to move it out from the wall on Saturday.

Some of my parts wouldn't fit either, then I put it together without tightening the bolts and it all came together fine.

Some of my parts wouldn't fit either, then I put it together without tightening the bolts and it all came together fine.

When putting anything together, it's often best to put everything together first, but only hand tighten the nuts on the bolts.
There is always some movement available to flex things into position while still loose.
Then you can go around and tighten everything up gradually, making sure everything stays square.

Adrian,

I need to move the unit over about a foot from the window. I'll have 4 people over tonight, do you think its ok to move the unit in one go (ill take the weights off and any removable parts) ? Or should I do the long process of disassemble reassemble ?

Adrian,

I need to move the unit over about a foot from the window. I'll have 4 people over tonight, do you think its ok to move the unit in one go (ill take the weights off and any removable parts) ? Or should I do the long process of disassemble reassemble ?

No need to take it apart, just drag/slide it to where it has to go.
I can move this rack by myself, just walk it a little at a time until it's in the right position.

I moved the rack further from the wall and the wife and I did the procedure you detailed in your post below.

Unfortunately one side just wont keep straight. :(

Below is a picture of the side closest the window with the safety bar at the top. It seems to be sitting perfectly. It does not touch the uprights (the gap is with the safety bar pushed fully to one side - towards the weights).
P9180226.JPG

Unfortunately on the other side its only easy upto about slot 9. Even then it is touching the uprights. If you go any higher you really have to wedge it in there and then its really really hard to get it to come out :(
P9180232.JPG

I'm not sure what else I can do. I think something must be slightly bent or out of shape, but not entirely sure what.

I can take pictures of certain spots if it will help you diagnose whats going on. Just let me know.

If the floor were slightly out of level, it should not make much difference.
As you say the front posts are plumb, so the rear posts should be too.

This is what I would do based on what you have explained so far:
  1. Loosen all bolts in these locations: where the 2 front posts bolt down to the base frame, where the rear posts bolt down to the base frame, where the plate holder posts bolt down to the base frame and connect to the rear posts and the 2 crossbeams which join the front and rear posts.
  2. Move the front posts as far forward as possible, as if these are towards the back, they may be pushing the base of the rear posts back via the crossbeams, causing the rear posts to lean forward. You can then tighten the front posts down as hard as possible.
  3. Then tighten the crossbeams connecting the front and rear posts. This will bring the base of the rear posts forward as far as possible. When connecting the crossbeam to the rear posts, I would only tighten the bottom 2 holes at first, leave the top 2 holes loose for now. Dont anchor the rear beams down to the base plate, they can just float for now and can be the last step.
  4. Play around with the weight plate holder posts and try to get the rear posts plumb, or even leaning slightly back if possible in case it pulls back when you tighten everything up. Gradually tighten the weight plate holder posts while trying to keep the rear posts in the correct position.
  5. Finally tighten the bottom bolts of the crossbeam to the rear posts and bolt the rear posts down.
Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Maybe an overall pic would help the most.
Try to show how it is not straight.
Would also be good if you can circle any problem areas.
Then, will see what can be done to fix it.

Thanks
Adrian

I tried to take some pics of the whole thing but the camera warps near the edges so I don't think it really tells us anything. Might even be more misleading than helpful

P9180232.JPG

P9180234.JPG

Just took some pic's to show what the spirit level says.

The large upright furthest from the window leans inward (towards the centre)
The large upright closest to the window is pretty much dead straight
The two smaller front uprights lean a little bit inwards (towards the centre)

Here is the picture of the largest, furthest from the window upright.
P9180226.JPG

This shows the spirit level displaying dead straight (to demonstrate how much it is leaning forward)
P9180228.JPG

In comparison this is the one closest to the window
P9180229.JPG

Just going to take some photos of the blemishes now... ill be back.

Would also be good if you can circle any problem areas.
Then, will see what can be done to fix it.

Thanks
Adrian

Hi Adrian,

As requested here are the problem area that are through the paint down to the metal work. Some are pretty minor though. I know these things are going to happen over time, so I hope I don't look like a whiner.

I appreciate your time in helping me out with this. Not all companies would be so helpful.

P9180226.JPG

P9180227.JPG

P9180228.JPG

P9180229.JPG

P9180230.JPG

P9180231.JPG

P9180232.JPG

That's a big one lol, rest are not too bad.

Yeah that one looks like it has a bubble behind it where the paint has already lifted, so that one probably will get bigger if it gets knocked etc.

The unit is incredibly solid. Tis indeed a nice bit of kit.