• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Equipment - Help me decide

P9180234.JPG

The closest large upright in the pick above naturally leans forward :( Which means the safety rails don't go in correctly.

I gave it one more test tonight before throwing in the towel and concluding that it (or the bottom rail it bolts into) must be faulty.

Tonight I tried just having the large upright by itself (nothing else attached to it) and it still leaned forward.

:(

Gees I am a bit worked up now, so apologies if this comes across as rash.

Grrrrr....

After speaking with Adrian today we agreed on a couple things that I should try before we think about replacing parts.

1). Try rotating the bar between the uprights in case its ends were not flat and were consequently pulling the uprights out of alignment.

2). Put washers under the large upright to tilt it back towards straight.

I tried number one first off but that did not do the trick :(

For number two Adrian was sending me some washers (along with some touch up paint for the exposed metal parts). Instead of waiting I decided to have a look around the house to see if I could find any spare ones. Luckily I found something that turned out to do the job perfectly. Once I put them under the front of the large upright it finally measured straight and I was able to get the safety bar in. Finally I thought... things are working out. After doing up all the main bolts on the uprights everything still measured straight and the safety bar still sat perfectly. So it came time to attach the weight holder bar. It's a bit of a tight fit, but with a bit of maneuvering it went in just fine. Now the last bolt I had to tighten was going in fine, I wasn't even approaching tight yet when there was a god awful bang and I was ducking for cover like a pussy. Turns out the friggen bolt had broken in half. :mad: So now there is a broken part still in the upright and I'm a bit stumped as to what I should do from here?? I possibly should have bought the other pro rack or I just have stupidly bad luck :(

Here are some pictures to tell the story.

P9210231.JPG

Here is a pic of the washers under the main upright that corrected the fault that was causing it to lean forward.

P9210232.JPG

Here is a pic that shows that the washers did their job and the safety bar was able to go in properly this time.

P9210229.JPG

(this is my wife's hand, no I do not wear nail polish) - Here is a pic showing the broken bolt

P9210230.JPG

Another pic of the broken bolt

P9210233.JPG

Here is a pic showing that the bolt was not near tight yet when it broke.

P9210238.JPG

A pic showing inside the upright where the broken bolt is stuck.

Where to from here?

I sort of feel like I want to exchange this cursed rack from another one :(

I still haven't been able to have my first work out on the kit yet :(

Sigh....

Last edited:
If it was mine, I wouldnt be worried about the broken bolt. There is another right next to it, and probably 2 more on the other side? New bolts can bind up and break, its just bad luck! And its only the weight rack, Id be more worried if it were the uprights.

I lost one of my bolts when putting mine together, still dont know where it is and never used another one, now I dont recommend this but it is still as solid as it was ever going to be

Good luck mate, I wana see you using that thing this week!

meh they're both good racks, yours is probably better though. that one is just cheaper. PTC uses it..

Hopefully you can get it sorted and start working out.

If you really want the broken bit of bolt out you could drill/tap it.

Cheers thanks for the tip. I went to bunnings tonight and bought the bits I need to do that. I also bought some replacement bolts and washes while I was there. I'll try to remove the broken one and replace it over the weekend.

Hopefully I'll get this all sorted soon. Its been a bit disheartening really.

The washers under the troublesome large upright has done the trick. My only fear with adding the washers was that it might weaken the bar below it (denting it) if I over tightened those bolts.

On a good note I got to use the rack tonight :)

Added my training log -> http://ausbb.com/member-training-diaries/12696-gopies-training-log.html

What did Adrian say?

Adrian said the broken bolt is no drama and even if I didn't fix it, it would not be a problem. He offered to organise someone to come take it out for me which is excellent service. But I have decided to give it a go myself (I'll probably live to regret that :( ).

He said the washers under the upright (to get it straight) will not be a problem. I personally don't like the idea as I would like it all to just bolt up correctly but I guess I'm willing to give it a go. What are other peoples thoughts on this one?

He has already sent me out some touch up paint for the exposed metal parts, which should arrive any day now.

Shit happens I guess. Ideally I would want everything to be perfect but unfortunately you can't win them all. Its certainly taken the gloss off the experience of buying a new toy. But at least now I can use the thing. Got to get stronger. Got to do deep squats or I'm a pussy :p

Good luck mate. Once you get into the swing of things you'll soon forget all the dramas and appreciate the rack for what it is: a top piece of equipment.

Meh dude if there are problems I'd just take his offer and get it replaced or whatever. You did pay the $$ for it and you should be getting a working piece of equipment.

Meh dude if there are problems I'd just take his offer and get it replaced or whatever. You did pay the $$ for it and you should be getting a working piece of equipment.

Do you mean get the whole rack replaced or take him up on the offer to get someone to remove the broken bolt for me?

Do you mean get the whole rack replaced or take him up on the offer to get someone to remove the broken bolt for me?

If anyone thinks I should send it back please let me know (and state why). If someone has a good reason why I should send it back and get a replacement now would be a good time to tell me.

I'm not to phased about the broken bolt now as I can attempt to get that out and there will hopefully be no harm done. Not ideal but I can deal with it.

The scratches and exposed metal should be ok with some touch up paint. Again not ideal but I can deal with it.

The washers under the large upright is the only other thing really. Does anyone think thats worth sending the unit back? Adrian feels its perfectly fine and won't cause any issues or weaken the structural integrity.

Sorry, just being thorough.

Personally I think it would be fine.

I would get the broken bolt removed for aesthetics and not knowing how many other bolts are used to hold that member.

I think if you can break that rack you should be very proud of yourself, I am pretty sure it will outlast most if not all of us here.

Grrrr... after much frustration and much anger on my behalf I finally got that broken bolt out and replaced it.

Things should go much smoother from here....

Got to get to the lifting weights now.