• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fat Guy Wanting to Get Fit

BigBrendo

Hi guys,

New to the forum, so I thought I'd start out by getting diet out of the way.

Basically as it stands at the moment, I am 150kg and stand 177cm tall. I am wanting to drop at least 30kg of that. Majority of fat stored around my belly. Legs and arms are bulk muscle. Very little fat on my legs at all including glutes, and the same with my arms. It is all really centralised around my belly and chest (moobs).

I am 22, and have been weight training on and off since I was 13 at school, always a big boy, I played rugby up until a year ago when I had a spinal injury that put me out on my ass, in that time, gained probably 20kg, which is disgusting, no excuse can justify the shit I put into my body during that time (comfort eating, was depressed - rugby was everything, but that is still no excuse).

Diet wise, I have tried many different diets, atkinson, tony ferguson, high protein/low carb etc etc and I've found I've not really had much luck. I however do not know how to count calories, which would add to this problem.

So could anyone, experienced guys please, steer me in the correct direction. This current body I am in, disgusts me and also hampers my possibility of finding someone to share my life with. I need to get fit not just for my physical sake, but mentally as well.

So guys be as brutally honest and harsh as you want, all I ask is for the correct advice, and advice that WORKS.

Eat 2500 calories a day all from food, don't drink any calories.
Walk 1 hour every day
Do resistance training with effort at least twice a week.

although new to the forum i have some recent experience with losing weight and pretty much what you're going through, injury etc...

Diet is the most important thing to get on track, things like myfitnesspal are good for counting calories if you have trouble doing it yourself. Like the guy above me said walking everyday is a great way to lose weight, i used to walk fasted in the morning, really helped me lose some of that fat.

There's a whole variety of methods to lose fat and tons of different approaches to diet and training etc, but at this stage the best thing to do is just start. Start with cleaning up the diet and getting that exercise in and you'll see results. consistency is key.

good luck.

Hi guys,

New to the forum, so I thought I'd start out by getting diet out of the way.

Basically as it stands at the moment, I am 150kg and stand 177cm tall. I am wanting to drop at least 30kg of that. Majority of fat stored around my belly. Legs and arms are bulk muscle. Very little fat on my legs at all including glutes, and the same with my arms. It is all really centralised around my belly and chest (moobs).

I am 22, and have been weight training on and off since I was 13 at school, always a big boy, I played rugby up until a year ago when I had a spinal injury that put me out on my ass, in that time, gained probably 20kg, which is disgusting, no excuse can justify the shit I put into my body during that time (comfort eating, was depressed - rugby was everything, but that is still no excuse).

Diet wise, I have tried many different diets, atkinson, tony ferguson, high protein/low carb etc etc and I've found I've not really had much luck. I however do not know how to count calories, which would add to this problem.

So could anyone, experienced guys please, steer me in the correct direction. This current body I am in, disgusts me and also hampers my possibility of finding someone to share my life with. I need to get fit not just for my physical sake, but mentally as well.

So guys be as brutally honest and harsh as you want, all I ask is for the correct advice, and advice that WORKS.

1. Work out your BMR there are calculators online
2. Count everything that passes your lips liquid or solid. My fitness pal on your phone and a scale to weigh your portions. Don't guess portion size.
3. Profit.
4. I assume your spinal injury in rugby was a disc protrusion or complete collapse??? Eased back into weights very very slowly. Learn what you can and can't do.
5. Get jacked and fuck alot of chicks, or blokes if thats your thing.

1. BMR 2367.8 - Read a couple sites that say to not exceed a deficit of 15 to 20 percent under maintanence caloric intake. What kind of adverse affects are there if I put myself in a deficit of about 25 to 30 percent?

2. What foods to avoid and which foods are better? I know saturated fats, too many carbohydrates etc are not beneficial to my plans. Haha.

3. Hopefully!

4. Was a collapse. I play front row, at the time had an inexperienced second rower and we were playing against a very talented opposition. And you can pretty much guess how that ended. And that's the plan. I tried getting back into it too quick about 6months ago and did damage.

5. Haha. That is really the biggest thing that's making me get motivated, fuck the single life.

Mate I don't even bother with types of food as long as I get 2 gram of protein a day. Do aome reading on IIFYM. Easiest way to diet by miles. Alot of peeps on this board have had good success with it. Like anything if your too extreme with your cal restrictions the more likely you are to fail.

Slow and steady wins the race.

IIFYM? Sorry to sound like a complete moron, but what is that?

It stands or If It Fits Your Macros... basically meaning - eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros, obviously within reason... Eat clean but don't get too over obsessed about things (is how i see it anyway).

So if you set up your diet, and have a goal of 2600 calories which are made up of 299g protein 77g carbs and 122g fat (numbers i just made up, you'll have to work out your own specific amounts), then you could eat whatever you like as long as you are hitting 299g protein 77g carbs and 122g fat. But again as i said, keep it within reason... :p. Just google IIFYM there is tons of articles out there about it.

You don't need to go on a 25-30% deficit. You will lose weight by simply being in a calorie deficit so there is no need to limit for food intake for no reason. Plus the bigger the deficit to start with the less to work with in the future ;)

I had some advice in the 'members pics' thread recently about this, might want to read that... I lost 55kg in 2009-2010. I agree with the others here, counting calories is essential and walking really helped me. I didn't do weight training for a while, it was hard for me to stay consistent exercising so I just did what I knew I could keep up doing for a long time. It's a long road...

People couldn't believe I transformed the way I looked just walking.. No boxercise? No yoga? Surely you own an ab roller?... You gotta door you gotta gym.

Watched a documentary on foxtel the other night. It had two people that believed they didn't eat a lot and where just genetically fat.

They did a food diary and apparently both only ate 1300 calories a day. Plenty low enough to lose weight.

The show secretly followed them around to see what they actually ate in a week. Turned out they were both actually eating well over double their estimates calories.

No scientific anomaly they just ate too much.

Bottom line, if you are fat you are eating too many calories.

Truthfully counting calories is a great lie detector for weight loss.

Do exercise at leat five days a week and do focus on high intensity cardio exercise in your routine workout to get sufficient results for your weight loss.
Diet can also plays an important role in your weight control, add more raw veggies and high protein foods in your daily diet for the weight loss purposes.

Bootcampmaitland fitness

Last edited:
When I first started out approx. 3 months ago a mate sent me this link:
http://simplesciencefitness.com/

Read it from start to finish...Helped me BIG time understanding the whole calorie counting, macros, working out BMR and what all the other crazy acronyms are!

Best of luck with your goals!

Have your worked out what your macros are yet ?
What your resting metabolic rate is and what maintenance is ?

log everything you eat and drink including alcohol and all snacks

eat whole foods with lots of veggies (sweet potatoes instead of potato)
cut out all sugar , no softdrink , black coffee with no sugar
no takeways ,no maccas , no kfc etc

visit your local fruit market and proper butchers (not supermarket crap)

should find eating healthy is cheaper than takeaways etc

I'm down 32kg since Aug 2011.

holy dooley complicated!

best way to start? id say KISS, cut sugar from your diet.

drinks are typically the worst, juices, soft drinks, alcohol... find a way to make water the only thing you drink and 5 bucks says your body will do the rest.