• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Getting the 'Pump'

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
Just wondering if the 'pump' is essential for maximum gains.

I am thinking of adding a high rep finisher set to the end of each exercise to get the muscle flooded with blood.

Theory says that during the 'pump' the worked muscle is flooded with nutrient rich blood, thus assisting recovery and most of all growth.

Any thoughts from a purely body building perspective??

I've been adding a 40 rep set at the end the last couple of weeks. They burn :mad:

Head Kunce

Whichever muscle group I'm hitting I like to run a high rep drop set right down to looking like an idiot using 5kg dumbbells sometime. Feels like I've worked the muscle that much more at the end of it.

Even if its not for body building...

Some degree of high rep work is a good idea... But not a necessity...

What do you call high rep?

Just wondering if the 'pump' is essential for maximum gains.

I am thinking of adding a high rep finisher set to the end of each exercise to get the muscle flooded with blood.

Theory says that during the 'pump' the worked muscle is flooded with nutrient rich blood, thus assisting recovery and most of all growth.

Any thoughts from a purely body building perspective??

The pump isn't about high reps, it's about the mind Mick

OK, if you say so Mitch.

If you have a way to mentally fill your muscles with blood so as to expand them, tear them, and repair them, please share. It'd make things much less time consuming that's for sure.

I realize this is actually possible if referring to your cock.

Can you at least explain what you meant? I can only think that you were referring to the 'pump' as mental satisfaction though I'm quite sure Mick meant to engorgement of the muscle.

Can you at least explain what you meant? I can only think that you were referring to the 'pump' as mental satisfaction though I'm quite sure Mick meant to engorgement of the muscle.

I mean that you can get a muscle pump without doing high reps.
When I workout I get a pump virtually every time whether I'm doing 6 reps or 10 reps, focusing and giving all my attention on the muscle being worked and also keeping the rest time between sets short, by short I mean less than a minute.

RUN WHILE YOU CAN

I reckon I put on size in 3 weeks with Smolov but I never got a pump, really.... not in comparison to before it when I was doing insane rep work... like 25 sets for chest/OHP twice a week....

The theory I believe is it stretches the muscle fascia as well as flooding the muscle with blood..... Mark Bell advocated 'going for a pump' during rep work... lots of powerlifters do it... you may as well its plausible.

I actually have issues sometimes with getting too much pump which inhibits my workouts.
Ive been getting it really bad in my quads lately.