• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Has anyone lost a large amount of weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OutOfControl

Just curious... has anyone ever gone from being fat to getting fit through bodybuilding?

ah yep lots of people, check out some of the logs on here and you will see some major changes.

I thought the people who did bodybuilding mostly started out as a normal weight, and just decided to get fit? That's what i have noticed. One day the person is skinny or a normal weight, the next they have put on 20 kilos of muscle lol.

I'm a female and morbidly obese. I have tried everything known to man to try and lose weight, i thought maybe i could try and lose weight by doing some of the exercises you people do?

Or is that a crazy idea? I usually lose weight by diet and avoid the exercise. I don't want to go to a gym it's too embarrassing... so i need things i can do at home. I thought if i went and got some weights i could do that at home?

I hate exercises like walking or exercise bikes, it's too boring and feels like i'm doing nothing. I want something that really works.

Thanks !

I had this idea that it might be a motivation for me to hang around here, because you are good examples of how you can control your body if you put your mind to it.

Sorry it's probably a dumb idea. I'm getting desperate though...

I'll go read all the logs and see if i can find some ideas on what exercises i can do :)

Thanks everyone

If you like intense exercise then you have come to the right place. But make sure you have a check up by your GP first and tell them what you are doing, if your blood pressure is very high then high intensity exercise can cause problems among many other conditions that occur with obesity.

Diet is extremely important in weight loss. I don't mean eating less and less and less because they will lead to yo-yo dieting and you being smaller but still unhealthy. I would work out what you eat now, why you eat, how you eat and go and talk to a psychologist about and get their opinion about making changes, a non judgemental outside opinion with knowledge on how the mind works (get one with experience in weight loss) will help you come around to eating and being healthy. While working on the reasons you eat, start to change your foods, how you eat etc.

Weight training is great for weight loss, it helps build muscle which increases your metabolism, it increases your metabolism by just doing the exercises throughout the day, it increases your strength and will help your joints become healthier. You can ease your way into using some of the programs listed in the Beginners Look Here thread, the routine by PTC would be good for you.

There are a few ideas and a bit of information to get you started.

Hi Outofcontrol,

I suggest having a read through the Female Training section on here, Also maybe talk to someone like Markos(M&M) or Fadi about a diet and training program.

Also on M&Ms Website there are a few newsletters that are about weightloss that are a good read.

I would suggest seeking proper medical adivce regarding your health before you attempt certain exercises...

But you are in the right place

I lost 20kg a few years back (91->71) through a lot of boot camp workouts, mainly running and random push-ups / chin-ups. However, I still wasn't happy with how I looked at the end of it. Instead of fat bastard, I was skinny fat.

Now I'm 10kg heavier but muscular and leaner (in terms of BF%) and much happier with my body. I don't run like crazy anymore, just do lots of weight training and weighted cardio.

Thanks for the info everyone :)

I have been to DRS. One told me that i won't be able to walk in 10 years if i don't lose weight. Another told me to join a gym. Another told me to get a lapband. I've had a nutritionist make me a 7 day meal plan too.

She told me to aim for a weight loss rate of 1-2 kilos per month, and said that is a healthy rate to lose weight. That's not good enough for me. I could put that weight on eating a plate of pasta lol. It would take me years to get my weight off if i did that.

I want to lose 1-2kg a week. Or get the bulk of my weight off within a year. I don't think that's unreasonable... is it? No one wants to be stuck in weight loss mode for years. It's depressing.

I joined Weight watchers and they also told me it would take me 2 years to lose the weight. I've done shake diets.. they worked the best but the boredom of it kicks in and i go back to old habits. Then there is nothing to fall back on because i'm not exercising...

Basically i have decided that instead of feeling the pain of hunger. I've got to feel the pain of exercise.... i want to push myself as far as i can, instead of having a pity party and talking about all the reasons why i am fat. (Everyone has a sob story they could use to blame their weight on)

I like this quote: "I hated every minute of training, but I said, Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

That's what i want to do. I want to work out some exercises and a meal plan. Start it and not give in, because the pay off of it all will mean i will have a life. I have a strong history of heart disease in my family, and just eating less isn't going to help my heart.

Sorry for the rant. As you can probably tell, weight is a big issue for me. I like the determination bodybuilders have. It's exciting! I just need to work out what exercises i can do.

Thanks again :)

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

Sorry thats a terrible quote, exercise shouldn't be suffering it should be fun, sure it may be hard but it should make you feel good and you should want to do it. If you think of it as suffering then you are pretty much going to quit, you may have to suffer through it every once in a while, but that should be the exception not the norm. Find something you really like doing and stick with it.

What did the doctors say about your health? Diabetes, hypertension?

Also we don't know your weight but heavy impact exercise as an obese person on joints that are not strong is going to lead to trouble. Work on weight training for a while, get someone to coach you at least for a few session on the big compound lifts and then work out by yourself. If you damage your joints you are in for a shitload of trouble. Get stronger and you will be healthier and fitter and will still lose weight. I would then suggest some low impact exercise (doesnt have to be low intensity) such as bike sprints, barbell complexes, heavy bag boxing anything that reduces your impact on your joints but lets you workout hard.

Thanks for the info everyone :)

I have been to DRS. One told me that i won't be able to walk in 10 years if i don't lose weight. Another told me to join a gym. Another told me to get a lapband. I've had a nutritionist make me a 7 day meal plan too.

She told me to aim for a weight loss rate of 1-2 kilos per month, and said that is a healthy rate to lose weight. That's not good enough for me. I could put that weight on eating a plate of pasta lol. It would take me years to get my weight off if i did that.

I want to lose 1-2kg a week. Or get the bulk of my weight off within a year. I don't think that's unreasonable... is it? No one wants to be stuck in weight loss mode for years. It's depressing.

I joined Weight watchers and they also told me it would take me 2 years to lose the weight. I've done shake diets.. they worked the best but the boredom of it kicks in and i go back to old habits. Then there is nothing to fall back on because i'm not exercising...

Basically i have decided that instead of feeling the pain of hunger. I've got to feel the pain of exercise.... i want to push myself as far as i can, instead of having a pity party and talking about all the reasons why i am fat. (Everyone has a sob story they could use to blame their weight on)

I like this quote: "I hated every minute of training, but I said, Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."

That's what i want to do. I want to work out some exercises and a meal plan. Start it and not give in, because the pay off of it all will mean i will have a life. I have a strong history of heart disease in my family, and just eating less isn't going to help my heart.

Sorry for the rant. As you can probably tell, weight is a big issue for me. I like the determination bodybuilders have. It's exciting! I just need to work out what exercises i can do.

Thanks again :)

We need to know your height and weight and this may be intimidating but this is an anonymous forum (for most users) .

1-2kg a week is acceptable 10kg a week is not..

The only person who has control over this situation is YOU not us , not a dr, not a nutritionist...

At the end of the day if you cant do this for yourself then you are going to have to accept the fact of premature death.. Now usually this thought is enough to kick anyones ass into gear.

Can you run through what your nutritionist has reccomended? Obviously they have sat and spoken to you for at least an initial consultation possibly 2 hours so they know you laot better then us and fro mthese reccomendations we can add advice and help out.

You have to learn now that

Hard work will pay off if you stick to it

Protein and fibre are going to become you best friends

Tabata thrusters are only hard because you have gotten to where you have through abuse of your body...

I will post more later..

But first thing i want you to do is keep a food diary write down everything that goes into your mouth everyday for the next week and report back here once that is done use excel if u want so u can copy and paste.

Best of luck

n00bs

Lol i guess it might be a bad quote to some. I just took it to mean that sometimes you have to feel pain to get what you want, and if i push myself now... i'll have a better life because of it.

I don't like any exercise so it is all suffering to me. I think most morbidly obese people feel that way (or they wouldn't be fat), it wouldn't be until i lost heaps of weight and got good at it that i started to enjoy it...

I have some weights but i don't really know what i'm doing, i just kind of move them up and down and feel like an idiot. I want to do something that exercises upper arms and my thighs.

I read the girl thread, those girls are less than half my size and can lift all that weight :eek: wow so impressive!

I'm 125 kilos and 5'4. :( That means i need to lose about 75 kilos to get to the weight i should be. The lowest weight i have been in my adult life was 70kilos and i still looked fat at this weight. It's so overwhelming :(

I don't want to get a lapband or gastric bypass so i'm giving it this one last shot. Losing that amount of weight seems impossible, like i have a better chance of winning lotto.

Sorry for going on and on, anyways i appreciate all the replies. I'm a shy person so it was scary writing on here, thanks for being nice. I'm just going to lurk around and see what ideas i can get.

:)

Food Diary is an awesome idea, mine has helped me heaps.

I lost 20kg by only eating properly, 6 meals per day, and lifting heavy 3 times per week.

Still eating properly and lifting heavy but added in some HIIT Sprints and have lost another 13kg.

33kg in just over 6 months.

If you put your mind to it you can do it. The hardest bit is starting it, once you see yourself transforming in front of your eyes you wont want to stop. That alone is enough motivation, well for me it is anyway.

Goodluck with it :)

I don't want to get a lapband or gastric bypass so i'm giving it this one last shot. Losing that amount of weight seems impossible, like i have a better chance of winning lotto.

Good statement followed by a bad. Its not impossible, it takes time and some effort but trust me its not even close to impossible.

I have said it before but I am going to say it again as you seem defeated, talk to a psychologist, obesity is a psychological disease. Noobs and I have been going on about it a bit the last week, people eat crap and feel crap, they feel crap and then eat crap, this cycle goes on and on and on and on and then you are obese. An exercise program and a good diet will help but someone to help motivate, set goals, talk about the why and how you got this way, to help work out your answers etc will be the BEST thing you could do.

I can tell you to go and workout 5 times a week eat healthy and you may, MAY, do it, but there is a good chance you can fail. You do not have any support with you, a psychologist, hell even a good personal trainer (hard to find but they are around) will give you that support.

You have made the first steps, you have talked to a doctor and a nutritionist. Go talk to a psychologist and get someone who knows what they are doing to teach you how to squat, deadlift, press, row and any and all variations of these. You can find a good private PT studio for this or visit an exercise physiologist. The added benefits really help (support, someone to exercise with, experience, knowledge, motivation), plus there are no other people around. Your doc can refer you to an exercise physiologist and you can claim the ex. physiologist on medicare if the doctor puts you on a exceptional needs list which you will qualify for.

you can do it and you will. it will be hard yakka at first. but once you get going and get into a good habbit it will become easier for you. dieting is hard work. involves decent commitment. its not impossible i know a guy who was 198kg, he is now 121kg. has lost almost 80kg over 2 yrs. its incredible the difference between where he was till now. so stick to it. it can be done. choose a goal and stick to it. this other guys motivation was to do a bodybuilding comp. he set that 2 yrs ago and is still on track to make it. hes got 25kg to go. be organised, and get yourself into gear.

I went 112 -> 82kg... Now up to a nice comfortable 95kg with the ability to put on or loose weight as wanted. Weights, football, martial arts, walking allot and general active lifestyle.

I got fat because i ate crap and i was lazy. Then when i realised i was chubby it made me upset. Depressed because you are fat > fat because you are depressed. It's a cycle. I have tried anti-depressants and they didn't work for me. I've tried fat pills, shakes, calorie counting, fasting, soup diets, juice diets, detox diets.

The only thing i haven't tried is focusing on the exercise instead of the food. The last diet i did was a shake diet where exercise isn't necessary. It worked the best out of anything i have done, but i couldn't maintain that lifestyle of eating food i hate.

The times i have exercised i hated it so much but felt pleased with myself afterwards. I think it could lift my mood if i committed to it.

I am absolutely defeated and if i don't make it work this time, i'll be cashing out my superannuation and getting a lapband. (It's impossible to get your super money out - but there is a clause about being able to get it out for lapband surgery - you can even get out your husbands super for the surgery).

I figure i have nothing to lose and everything to gain if i can try one last time, with all things included equally, exercise and diet. Sorry if i sound like an idiot, i know it's all my fault i'm so fat.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I won't go to a gym or personal trainer because i'm too shy and embarrassed. I've got to do it at home.

This is a good site i'm going to read the girls section some more.
:)

Don't get lapband surgery... Get motivated and committed to your goals and realize that there is no miracle cure... Just lifestyle change... no diets that will work because when you finish them you'll be putting weight on again. Find a lifestyle that works for you with good food/regular exercise/social sport etc. Best of luck to you and your long road ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.