• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Injuries

perceived effort is like perceived depth

there are always gonna be the ones that drop their chest and claim to have made depth
its not the bar movement that matters, but the hip

GHOSTY i know u mean well and are passionate about your lifting, but you need to take a step back and realise what you perceive and what is real

This is my exact point. Your not really in the position to be carrying on how others should be lifting.
But the PT with the 90kg squat is? I've put time in and achieved some results, I am well entitled to have an opinion and draw from my own experiences and those of my mates I have trained with personally.

Yet the 'form nazi' kyle has. 90kg squat...
Yes. I also have a scoliosis. Anyway you can't watch your own form, you need another pair of eyes on you. As well, I put lifts I've done recently, nobody cares what you did 10 or 20 years ago. Let's focus on now. Or better, let's focus on my clients.

My clients, in better health than me, have better squats than me, and above your 100kg threshold. Shit, there are a couple of women clients who will probably lift more than me inside six months. And that's the true test of any trainer or coach's ideas: what do their ideas do for their clients? We don't judge Markos' ability by the lifts he got and his injuries, but by what happens with his lifters. He could struggle to press the 20kg bar or be in a wheelchair, nobody would care.

I'm no form "nazi", good is good, doesn't have to be perfect. It's titan_au you want to be speaking to, he's the form nazi and his lifts are... a shitload more than yours or mine.

A person whose lifts haven't increased much in two years, who has injured himself with his approach, and who has never trained anyone else, probably shouldn't be advising others how to do things. If people want to injure themselves and have their lifts stuck for two years they can probably manage that without anyone else's help.

Last edited:
Yes. I also have a scoliosis. Anyway you can't watch your own form, you need another pair of eyes on you.

My clients, in better health than me, have better squats than me, and above your 100kg threshold. And that's the true test of any trainer or coach's ideas: what do their ideas do for their clients? We don't judge Markos' ability by the lifts he got and his injuries, but by what happens with his lifters.

I'm no form "nazi", good is good, doesn't have to be perfect. It's titan_au you want to be speaking to, he's the form nazi and his lifts are... a shitload more than yours or mine.

A person whose lifts haven't increased much in two years, who has injured himself with his approach, and who has never trained anyone else, probably shouldn't be advising others how to do things. If people want to injure themselves and have their lifts stuck for two years they can probably manage that without anyone else's help.
How you can continue to crap on about my lifts not increasing when I HAD NOT BEEN TRAINING is beyond me. Are you sure your brain stem does not have scoliosis too?

20 reps dont do ANYTHING for strength?

its up there with maxing the legpress to increase ur squat

it might increase ur 20 rep strength
but little to none for 1rpm, 5rpm

u should use 5rpm to increase 1 rpm

20rpm is ... i dunno

hmmmm

How you can continue to crap on about my lifts not increasing when I HAD NOT BEEN TRAINING is beyond me.
When injured, it is common to stop training, yes.

Use bad form, get stronger, get injured, get weaker, repeat. Great approach, mate. You should trademark that, you could get rich.

Come on, rip into titan_au the same way, it'll be entertaining.

20rpm is ... i dunno

hmmmm

20 rep is not the best way to increase your 1rm but it is one of the best overall strength builders.

Last edited:
ok lets break this down

1. Walk Out
2. Descent
3. Reversal
4. Lockout

1. The Setup before the walkout is more important than the lift itself
take your time there, set ur hands, squeeze under the bar, pull urself under with ur lats, this will flex your rear deats, thereby creating a shelf to put the bar on. Thinmk about the 4 axis around the bar
traps, 2 delts, lats, erectors
once you are tight, get the hips under the bar and stand up with your chest proud. You want to be set up there and then, under a max weight you will loose air and waste energy on resetting up with the bar pushing down on you as opposed to no weight on you.
stand up lock ur knees and hips
walk back with straight legs! down waste your quad or erectors before the lift has started. Stand upright and wait for the start call

sorry work is over, i have to go out
finish this on the weekend

but u got info to work on

BTW...don't confuse tightness with slow descent, ill explain that later
could you please finish explaining this? Cheers.

When injured, it is common to stop training, yes.
And stop working too?

Let's see, 1-3 gym sessions a week for an hour Vs. 40-70hours a week doing physical reptitive labour.

I don't believe lifting in the gym was the cause of my injury, it just never contributed towards fixing it. But not stopping work didn't contribute towards fixing it either. But guess what, not working wasn't an option, that's life, so I STFU and GTF on with it. Shit happens.

20rpm is ... i dunno

hmmmm

i dont think 20 reps are ideal for increasing 1rm but my experience is that the effect is a lot more than "little to none". its true i am a 20 rep squat fanboy but for eg i dont think you can squat 120x20 and not be able to squat around 160x1.

So ghosty, since "form nazis" are all worthless scum, you going to have a go at titan_au, too? I'll even lead in for you:

The idea that 20 rep squats don't build strength is contradicted by many, many people's experiences. Whether 5 reps or whatever is better is another matter. But if over time you add weight to the bar, whatever the reps you're getting stronger. One of my clients started with a 60kg 3x5 squat, went back to 40kg 1x20, worked up to squatting his 88kg bodyweight 1x20, in the course of it his bodyweight went up to 95kg, then one day he tested his strength a bit - worked up to 95kg normally, but did just one rep, added 5kg and did one, etc. Ended up with a 145kg 1x1 squat. 145kg is more than 60kg, so he got stronger.

Could he have got stronger with lower reps? Sure, another client also got a 145kg squat doing nothing but sets of 5, it was over the same 4 months, difference was this guy started his squat at 80kg 3x5 and was only 85kg himself.

So 20 rep squats definitely increase strength, only questions are whether it's faster than other ways, or if there are other reasons to choose it. 20 rep squats have other benefits, like improving muscular endurance in the postural muscles, useful for people with back issues.

Last edited:
I agree with droo on the 20reppers. They have a lot more effect the "little to none". Although I never ended up trying a 1rm when I did 135kg x 20, I did find my 5rm and 3rm a lot easier. I also believe it teaches u how to fight a hard rep.

Minh have u ever tried 20 reppers with 1.5xbw or more?

Last edited:
For teaching the neophyte it takes a LOT of reps to master a particular movement, so correcting it early is just going to get the brain cramped up.

This topic has not only lost it's way but run its course.

You will notice the need to asses your exercise The more advanced you become.

Please work on the premise that you can have as many injuries as you like but only a limited numbers of recoveries.

Last edited:
please help me with my form- you are all such experts I would appreciate the help:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lDFZY2m2j0]YouTube - Funny Squat Weightlifting[/ame]