• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

is powerlifting the new bodybuilding

I think that powerlifting gives people the feeling of progress. Something doing their 3x10 of the same exercise at the same weight does not. So its not surprising to me that PL has developed a solid underground following from people who see the benefit of being strong.

Powerlifting, Weightlifting and Strongman are all part of the Bodybuilding movement. Some may not like to admit it but the lineage is there - ever since people admired the physiques of the athletically inclined, which prompted them to ask - "how much can ya bench?"

Strength can be independent of size. I have seen a bean-pole clean 170kg.

I assume this is why programs like PHAT and 5/3/1 BBB have Strength and Power sets of less than 5 and Hypertrophy sets of greater than 6 or 8. Each range being more optimal but not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Powerlifting, Weightlifting and Strongman are all part of the Bodybuilding movement. Some may not like to admit it but the lineage is there - ever since people admired the physiques of the athletically inclined, which prompted them to ask - "how much can ya bench?"

Great post! I have indeed seen a few bean poles with bullshit stupid strength...

Actually as far as lineage goes strongman and weightlifting preceded bodybuilding in the form of old time strongmen and odd lift competition. Pioneers of bbing like Sandow were strongmen first before physique competitions came about. Powerlifting is however is more of an offshoot of bbing though it does have roots in strongman and odd lifts too.

So really strength competition came first. ..

"DOMS across a large muscle mass is systemic inflammation. Like rheumatoid arthritis, it is a maladaptive stress on all the regulatory mechanisms of the body. It can cause cardiac symptoms, sleep apnea, hypertension, vascular disease, respiratory inflammation and bronchitis, and all kinds of unpleasantness." - Mark Rippetoe

"Exercise methods that produce very high levels of soreness as a constant feature of the program - due to random exercise selection that precludes adaptation to the stress - can contribute to long-term systemic inflammation, the kind that produces poor health instead of fitness and strength. Soreness is an unavoidable part of training, but it should not be sought after as a primary objective and worn as a badge of honor for its own sake." - Mark Rippetoe

Is Powerlifting the new Bodybuilding? Doesn't seem as popular to me.

Last edited:
Anyhoo, bodybiulding is not the new powerlifting me thinks.

"if a beginner works-out like a power lifter he is an idiot"

Me.

You can pick the bodybuilders - walking around like they are carrying two suitcases in clothing designed to show their features.

You can pick the powerlifters - walking around like they are carrying two suitcases in clothing designed to show their features.

I can't say I'm distressed by my appearance when my pecs and delts get big from benching.

Bodybuilders spend a lot of time cutting and bulking and cutting and bulking and critiquing Protien powders

Systematic inflammation is generally regarded as bad, and yes I didn't think it would jive with you as Rip is totally against going to the gym to do random things each day.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned 'powerbuilding' ITT.

PL would probably be a lot more popular overall if there was only one federation.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned 'powerbuilding' ITT.

Powerbuilders: People too fat to be bodybuilders and too weak to be powerliftings. Fence-sitting at its best.

Powerbuilding: What? You mean training to be big and strong like any good powerlifter or bodybuilder?

PL would probably be a lot more popular overall if there was only one federation.

Doubt it. Most of the general public are clueless about the different feds.

Powerbuilders: People too fat to be bodybuilders and too weak to be powerliftings. Fence-sitting at its best.

Powerbuilding: What? You mean training to be big and strong like any good powerlifter or bodybuilder?

Doubt it. Most of the general public are clueless about the different feds.
I suspected as much. It's been a long time since I've heard any mention of "powerbuilders." Since powerbuilding is the pursuit of being big and strong, it seems like a rather irrelevant title, for exactly the reason you just gave.