• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mike Mentzer's thoughts on Nutrition

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
What are peoples thoughts on Mike Mentzers ideas behind nutrition...

Diet has always been as important, if not more, as weight-training for bodybuilders. However, in his book Heavy Duty Nutrition, Mentzer demonstrated that nutrition for athletes did not need to be nearly as extreme as the bodybuilding industry would lead one to believe. His recommended diets were well balanced, and he espoused eating from all four food groups, totaling four servings each of high-quality grains and fruits, and two each of dairy and protein daily, all year-round.[3]
Mentzer believed that Carbohydrates should make up the bulk of the caloric intake, 50-60%, rather than protein as preferred by others. Mentzer's reasoning was simple: to build 10 pounds of muscle in a year, a total of 6000 extra calories needed to be ingested throughout the year, because one pound of muscle contains 600 calories. That averages 16 extra calories per day, and only four of them needed to be from protein—because muscle is 22% protein, about one quarter.

What he did worked for him.
Where they healthy choices? Possibly not.
I think this is where most get it wrong.

I would go further to say that he (along with most) achieved his look in spite of his ideals rather than because of them.

He sure was a weird man....but he got results and his physique was one of the best the bodybuilding world has seen...he should of won a Mr.O...

Reading your original post I agree with him mostly
I think protein is far overvalued just so supplement companies can sell more protein
I've never seen anything that showed you needed more than 0.7g/lb of mass in protein a day but if you pile on the calories you'll get great gains

I remember Pavel saying how the Russian soldiers ate a low protein diet with moderate calories and still got big, strong and lean even sleeping 4 hours a night

Last edited:
All the pro's who take in 400-500grams of protein a day would be making Mentzer roll over in his grave.... ONCE

A lot of pros claim ridiculous protein protein intake because they are sponsored by protein companies. Like Dante Trudel, claims he takes 3xbw in protein a day and is only on HRT testosterone. He is about twice as big as Joel lol. He owns truenutrition, no surprise there :rolleyes:

So do I or don't I need 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight in my daily diet?? I just don't know who to believe anymore..

So do I or don't I need 1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight in my daily diet?? I just don't know who to believe anymore..

I have always gone by 1.5g -2g per lb of bw...i.e I weigh 200lbs I have 300g-400g of protein a day ...I have always done that and always will..

Last edited:
Well I just fuckin love fish, red meat, eggs etc..so whether or not I need 200+g's of protein, I'm gonna eat em :D

Well I just fuckin love fish, red meat, eggs etc..so whether or not I need 200+g's of protein, I'm gonna eat em :D

True mate....id be eating steak, chicken, eggs etc everyday even if I didnt train...

There is always a new article claiming bodybuildiers have been doing is wrong.

Bottom line. Do what bodybuilders have been doing for the past 50 years and you cant go wrong. Eat Lots of Protein, surplus calories and train hard.

On the other hand you could eat low protein and you to could have Mr O sized legs like Oni

There is always a new article claiming bodybuildiers have been doing is wrong.

Bottom line. Do what bodybuilders have been doing for the past 50 years and you cant go wrong. Eat Lots of Protein, surplus calories and train hard.

On the other hand you could eat low protein and you to could have Mr O sized legs like Oni

lol x 2