• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need advice on training program! BEGINNER!!

Full-body 3x a week. You'll hit chest and back 3x a week that way and the frequency will help you grow. If you're just getting leaner at the moment then you're obviously not eating enough. The muscles in your back deserve far more attention that your chest does, even if just for shoulder health.

Squat and deadlift heavy, they make you bigger.

You guys are worse then the women who say lifting will make them to muscular.

What you look like is controlled by your diet. If most of those guys massive powerlifters did some cardio or went on a Nancy boy cut, they would take first place on stage. But that's not what they are about. Being strong is.

If you want the beach bod go to a tanning salon and do tricep kickbacks.

Your chest is not out of proportion but you back is. Listen to el freako he has the right of it. And EAT!

hit each bodypart once a week, go heavy.
Use compound movements on all bodyparts.
If you stick with it, youl grow, and change your workouts the more you learn.

Everyone trains has a diff opion, what ever works for you.

If your training for BB aspect, i would not go with that markos program.

I will get burned alive for that but seriously markos is not god, and there plenty of other ways to train, just spend some time learning.

cheers

Check out the beginner routine in the bodybuilding thread, follow that or a close version. You need to eat more to grow, I eat 5 to 6 meals a day (protein shake is not a meal, its a snack), and I have lots off fat to loose, its coming off slowly and my body comp is changing. You have hardly any fat at all, you could afford to eat allot more food. Focus on compound movements, lift heavy, read some of what fadi and the guys say in the bodybuilding beginner routines thread. Thats what Im doing, I been at it for a little over a month with excellant results so far.

I will get burned alive for that but seriously markos is not god, and there plenty of other ways to train, just spend some time learning.

cheers

The reason you train more frequently on Markos' and many other coaches programs is because as a new trainee your body recovers in 48 hours and is ready for a new stimulus. The reason advanced trainees go once to twice a week is because they can not recover as easily so need that rest. The same goes for all that volume advanced trainees use, they need a greater stimulus to illicit growth whilst a new trainee does not need that volume in one session nor could they handle it properly.

cheers

Yeah, no, so many ways no.

At the beginning there is no such thing as BB'ers or PL'ers. There are just newbs. Newbs need frequency, they recover quickly because they barely use any of the available muscle fibres to lift as the neural pathways that allow them to do that have yet to develop. Frequency, simplicity and recovery (food and sleep) are their best friends.

Markos did not invent the full-body routine, he just passed on decade old information.

Beginners should choose one good routine and stick with it til it stops working. Training ADD is their worst enemy. The best program is not the one they are not doing, the best program is the one they are putting the effort and dedication into, and it has frequent squatting and heavy deadlifting.

Ok i'm slowly learning! lol

So i go to the gym Monday, Wednesday & Friday and do:

Squat 3 sets x 10 reps
Bench Press 3 sets x 8 reps
Bent Row 3 sets x 8 reps
Military(Standing) Press 3 sets x 8 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 sets x 8 reps
Barbell Curl 3 sets x 8 reps

at max weight?

also if i do say 7 reps for one exercise, and can't get 8 should i down the weight so i can get the full 8 reps or?

AND, the days that i am not training like tues & thurs, should i do some sort of cardio and abs?

Last edited:
Cool thanks. while i'm here and getting tips, how much time should you leave between sets? at the moment i use about 30 secs to 1 min. also how much time between exercises?

oh and also, with that program do i just use flat bench ?? or change it up or is incline not necessary for now?

such a noob i know... thanks guys!

Last edited:
ohk and another noob question,

when doing bench. how do i measure what i'm lifting? do i have to reach 100kg of just plates or 100kg including the bar? i'm pretty sure the bar at my gym weighs 20kg's..

And no one answered, should i do cardio during the days i'm not lifting?

To begin with, if your training hard enough you may not wish to do cardio on your off days. That would be some what of a personal thing though, you may well be able to, I couldn't as was too sore with DOMS and needed rest. On your of days you can do some sort of HIIT cardio, it's short hard and sweet, include burpees etc, or you could go for a light jog, Im not sure on the cardio really, I think it's body specific and depends on your goals but it's great for the heart. I was doing walking but have switched to HIIT now...and fuuurk it's hard lol, good luck with your new routine mate.

Best to just do the weights training 3 times a week at first. No cardio is really needed and can stop you from achiving the weights goals

the program is

Squat 3 sets x 10 reps
Bench Press 3 sets x 8 reps
Bent Row 3 sets x 8 reps
Military(Standing) Press 3 sets x 8 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 sets x 8 reps
Barbell Curl 3 sets x 8 reps

repeat times a week.

If you can do all reps, increase weight the following week.

Continue on this for 6-12 months until you can:
Squat 140kg
Bench 100kg
Deadlift 180kg

Generally if you can reach this level of strength, you will have gained significant size / fitness.

full details:

http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html

With these weight goals:

Squat 140kg
Bench 100kg
Deadlift 180kg

Is that just 1 rep max. or am I supposed to rep all of these??

So what are the goals for what i should be repping?

What would you usually be repping by the time you can 1RM those weights?

And how often do you check your 1RM?