• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need advice on training program! BEGINNER!!

Could I please see the scientific evidence supporting 3 a week full body programs V's split programs for a lifter that has a bodybuilding goal?

I know alot of ppl on here will support full body splits but where is the evidence that says this is better, of course for someone focusing on strength then yes but please provide evidence that this will be better for a lifter focusing on bodybuilding as a goal?

Where do these numbers come from?

Squat 140kg
Bench 100kg
Deadlift 180kg

What says that these number will indicate that - "Generally if you can reach this level of strength, you will have gained significant size / fitness"

Could I please see the scientific evidence supporting 3 a week full body programs V's split programs for a lifter that has a bodybuilding goal?

I know alot of ppl on here will support full body splits but where is the evidence that says this is better, of course for someone focusing on strength then yes but please provide evidence that this will be better for a lifter focusing on bodybuilding as a goal?

Where do these numbers come from?

Squat 140kg
Bench 100kg
Deadlift 180kg

What says that these number will indicate that - "Generally if you can reach this level of strength, you will have gained significant size / fitness"

If you are a beginner goal is pretty much irrelevant you just need to build a base and get stronger.

Those numbers are just made up, no
law or lifting god says they are perfect but they are still a very good indicator. If you can't make those numbers you are a beginner and need to focus on getting stronger if you want to make decent progress.

If you are a beginner goal is pretty much irrelevant you just need to build a base and get stronger.

law or lifting god says they are perfect but they are still a very good indicator. If you can't make those numbers you are a beginner and need to focus on getting stronger if you want to make decent progress.

There are some professional natural bodybuilders that cant deadlift 180kg, does that make them beginners?

^^^^
Pretty much this, you need a strength basis before you can worry about curl monkey exercises.

You need to build a strong base to build your body on before you can body build, just common sense really.

When building a sky scraper, most of the work goes into building the footings for it, if the footings are no good the whole thing will come toppling down, same with body building.

There are some professional natural bodybuilders that cant deadlift 180kg, does that make them beginners?

I would say yes, 180kg is an easy goal to achieve if you are playing with iron, I am a beginner, and don't take my dead lifting and squatting dead serious, I train for 30 minutes 3 x a week at home and I easily achieved and mostly surpassed the lifts indicated (see signature) in a matter of months.

So someone that supposedly trains seriously and can't do these lifts you are a beginner, or a pussie, you choose.(unless hampered by injury of course)

Last edited:
So no one answered my question - what weights should I be completing full reps of before I can graduate to 'curl monley' exercises?

So no one answered my question - what weights should I be completing full reps of before I can graduate to 'curl monley' exercises?

I would suggest you work at a rate of 80% of your 1rm in the rep range of around 5-8 and about 3-8 sets depending.

Example:

Bench press 1rm= 100kg
Work rate of 80%= 80kg x 3-8 sets x 5-8 reps. (I do 4 sets)

I usually do 4 sets of an exercise and do around 5-6 exercises per body part per workout.
There is no laws written in stone, you have the ability to explore a little but when beginning its best to use a basic program and just get use to being under a bar. Basic programing is a great way to break your body into more advanced training techniques such as splits, but splits from the beginning still work.....just not as good.
I don't bother with scientific arguments about this, I just talk to those who are big from lifting and take there advice. It's not rocket science, don't be ruled by the keyboard warrior about 'this is scientific evidence or that is not as efficient because so and so states on page 9 blah blah blah', just work hard, eat well, and rest. The body will adapt by growing bigger, stronger, faster and better looking. I have seen so many people say this or that, but in the end I only listen to those who actually lift/train now.

But its just advice buddy.....do whatever the FUCK you wanna do! :D:D:D

Mate do what you like start listening to your body, what are your current lifts?? Have you been following the routine or not??

You need to keep adding weight to the bar if you want to keep progressing. Once you stop progressing you need to change something, as long as you keep adding weight to the bar keep going.

The reasons many people like myself put there PB lifts in their signature is to indicate where they stand in their training, so someone can look at my current BP's one of which is as recent as last Friday, and see if my advice might have some credibility.

Last edited:
^^^^
Pretty much this, you need a strength basis before you can worry about curl monkey exercises.

You need to build a strong base to build your body on before you can body build, just common sense really.

When building a sky scraper, most of the work goes into building the footings for it, if the footings are no good the whole thing will come toppling down, same with body building.

I would say yes, 180kg is an easy goal to achieve if you are playing with iron, I am a beginner, and don't take my dead lifting and squatting dead serious, I train for 30 minutes 3 x a week at home and I easily achieved and mostly surpassed the lifts indicated (see signature) in a matter of months.

So someone that supposedly trains seriously and can't do these lifts you are a beginner, or a pussie, you choose.(unless hampered by injury of course)

Yes a professional natural bodybuilder is a beginner because he cant deadlift 180kg, that makes sense.

Yes a professional natural bodybuilder is a beginner because he cant deadlift 180kg, that makes sense.

Fucking bodybuilders.

Seriously if he can't deadlift 180kg what the fuck is he doing with his training, it's definitely not that big of a goal.

Thanks guys...

Well my current lifts are: (and this is what I do 8 or 10 reps of)

Bench: 100KG
Dead: 120KG
Squat (A2G): 80KG

I've said this before, I think I could go heavier with the deads but I feel like I might compromise technique and risk injury.. I also need to get some straps because I struggle to keep a grip on the bar in the last few reps!

I've been lifting for 8 years did 170 dead. Stopped deads I'm only now doin 160 and b fucked if I'm a beginner. When your goal isn't 1 rep strength and more about aesthetics I don't think it's pussy not to hit a 200 dead.

But a bodybuilders goal isnt to lift as much weight possible its to build as much muscle possible.

Here we go again.

Lift how you want.

Spend two hours in the gym, spend ten minutes, but make the time you spend progressing.
Find the most efficiant, safe, fun method, for YOU.

Whether you like it or not, (cause and effect)...if a muscle needs to get stronger it must increase in diameter, not shape, you cannot change its shape.

That's not scientific that's pretty much just self evident truth.

Think of it like this...

A body builder doing 3 sets of 10 at 100kg on his chest....Is theoretically going to have a bigger chest then if they can only manage 3 sets of 10 at 60kg...

It takes a bigger thicker muscle to move heavier weight...

One of my favourite Ronnie coleman lines is... "Errrrbody wanna be a bodybuilder....But don't nobody want to lift heavy aaaazzz weights!"

Deadlift for size: If you want to get big, you must do this exercise. Here's how! | Flex | Find Articles

"For those of you who haven't viewed Ronnie Coleman's appropriately titled training video The Unbelievable!!, let's cut to the biggest jaw-dropping scene of them all. After a few sets of 500-pound barbell rows, it's deadlift time. But Ronnie isn't just any bodybuilder repping out deads to top off a workout. Instead, Mr. O pyramids up to a set of 805 for two full reps, with training straps but without a powerlifting suit"

Thanks guys...

Well my current lifts are: (and this is what I do 8 or 10 reps of)

Bench: 100KG
Dead: 120KG
Squat (A2G): 80KG

I've said this before, I think I could go heavier with the deads but I feel like I might compromise technique and risk injury. I also need to get some straps because I struggle to keep a grip on the bar in the last few reps!

Strong bench compared the rest, ie you bench more than you squat, which is strange considering you legs are a lot bigger and used to carrying loads. :confused:

What is A2G???

Keep the form good or risk injury, so you are doing the right thing training within your ability.

Are the above 1RM or for reps.

Strong bench compared the rest, ie you bench more than you squat, which is strange considering you legs are a lot bigger and used to carrying loads. :confused:

What is A2G???

Keep the form good or risk injury, so you are doing the right thing training within your ability.

Are the above 1RM or for reps.

Arse too the grass...

I also need to get some straps because I struggle to keep a grip on the bar in the last few reps!

Are you using under over grip? or both hands over? I wouldn't think grip would be a problem at 120kg. I suppose you could get straps for that weight, you could also grab a skirt to wear while you are at the shops.

I've been lifting for 8 years did 170 dead. Stopped deads I'm only now doin 160 and b fucked if I'm a beginner. When your goal isn't 1 rep strength and more about aesthetics I don't think it's pussy not to hit a 200 dead.

According to your sig bench is only twenty kgs off your squat and 25kgs off your dead. I'm not trying to flame you here but wouldn't your legs be lagging badly in comparison to your chest and upper back.

Genuinely curious?

But a bodybuilders goal isnt to lift as much weight possible its to build as much muscle possible.

See how well you go building muscle by progressively getting weaker.

To build muscle you need to get stronger in some way. Wether it's more volume, weight lifted, time under tension ect, but you need to progress in some way otherwise your wasting your time.