• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

NOT counting calories

Sydking

Ive been counting calories for a couple years now, i cant argue how much its opened my eyes as to whats what.

I also agree that everyone should do it for a while so they get the jist of things. I had to sit and listen to a mate the other week that i haven't seen in ages that 1kg of meat is 1kg of protein, so he has 1000g grams of protein on most days..... I was too tired to say otherwise at the time.

Anyway... Since mid November i have not counting a single calorie, i have still been eating good food as i usually do. But i did take a 2 week break from training

Back to it now in full swing and still not counting calories, i eat when im hungry and stick to meats, vegies, good oils and whole grains. No different really to when i was counting calories.

This week ive been thinking to my self, fuck its so dam easy to cook a meal and just eat the dam thing rather then weighing this and weighting that, then logging it all blah blah

Ive been enjoying my meals 100% more now then before when i was counting every calorie. It was almost an obsession and to what i think is almost an eating disorder when you can eat a meal without thinking how many calories your eating.

End of the day its never accurate anyway, As most would know i started many threads on different foods about not being able to find the correct info or every database has a different macro breakdown.

I love cooking, but counting calories made me not like it as much.

So much easier to prep work lunches without having to jot everything down to log later on. its made be not miss one day of bringing a home packed lunch full of meat and veggies each day.

I feel unless your new to the game, or dialing right down for a comp or just playing around with calories for a while then counting calories is bullshit.

Its not sustainable and its just extra shit to think about.

Calorie counting has its place for sure, But not for me anymore!! Untill i really need it il use the mirror and scales, Eat less or eat more. Done!

Training/eating has been so much more enjoyable without it thus far and end of the day that's all that matters to me.

Totally agree mate - counting calories is fantastic for a newbie to get an idea of what a calorie is worth - i.e chicken breast will be X calories, steak is X, rice is X etc etc - when you have finally got a good understanding of calories you will never need to count them again I feel - I have not counted calories for prob 6,7,8 years now but I can still look at what I am eating and have a good idea of how many calories are in the meal....

I agree if you are dieting for a show etc then maybe dial in things abit but other than that if you have a rough idea and are sticking to a good clean diet then theres no real reason to count calories.....

Good post mate....

Totally agree, [MENTION=8663]Sydking[/MENTION];

I was going to stop my tracking at the end of 2013.
I've kept going only because I know I've fallen short of how much I should be eating for a few months... some weeks doing OK, others falling well short.

So I'm doing it a while longer just to have the reminder to make sure I am eating in the right range to make progress for this year.

Will stop when all is good.

Agree it's a great idea to do it an learn about portion sizes. I got my cousin doing it and it's opened her eyes heaps. She was probably eating twice as much at night as she needed before lol.

I don't find it a problem. Takes me a couple minutes a day. If its what helps me stop turning into a fat carnt like every other fucker I am happy.

I like food and not counting calories tends to end up in me eating double my daily calories by lunch time.

In the end if you don't want to do it, don't. No one else is going to care.

I don't find it a problem. Takes me a couple minutes a day. If its what helps me stop turning into a fat carnt like every other fucker I am happy.

I like food and not counting calories tends to end up in me eating double my daily calories by lunch time.

In the end if you don't want to do it, don't. No one else is going to care.

Pretty much agree with everything here. It does take a while to set up for new meals though.

Also it's the best way to lose weight by far that I've found. I'm now down to around 12% and it's very odd actually looking like I lift now.

Very sensible Sydking
Eat by portion size, counting calories is for the obsessed

I count calories, but I go by portion size
I can look at something and know what it has in it
My mum is very good at this, like a recipe will say 50g butter and she just cuts it off
I'll weigh it and it will be like 48g

I don't think Darkoz was saying it didn't work
He was saying it wasn't necessary

It's probably individual though
OP needs to just try things out, instead of seeking validation for his actions online
If he becomes fatass, he know he made mistake

I don't think Darkoz was saying it didn't work
He was saying it wasn't necessary

It's probably individual though
OP needs to just try things out, instead of seeking validation for his actions online
If he becomes fatass, he know he made mistake

Yes I wasn't saying that counting calories doesn't work as obviously it does work for many however it's not the only way.
It's not for me personally, I find portion size is a much simpler way, maybe not as exact but over time you have a good idea of how much is in the food you eat, besides most of us have no need to be that exact to count every single calorie that passes our mouth.

I don't deny myself any type of food but there are certain foods that I choose to eat sparingly these days and if I eat too much today then it's as simple as eating less over the next few days.
I've never had problem with food but I've always had an issue with not drinking enough water, some days I'd be lucky to drink half a litre, I'm Still working on that.

I just eat now, problem is my weight has stalled at 91kg. I will try to eat a little less and see what happens.

I am counting calories at the moment because of the AusBB 90 day challenge. It's given me good insight into how much energy is in how much food so far, i will be counting for the whole 90 days. Should have a fair idea then of how much contains how much at the end i am hoping :)

Never counted calories before

I'm generally happier when not counting calories, just training hard and eating well.

I'm currently forced to count my calories again for the IIFYM Challenge which is annoying and I find myself not enjoying my food as much

I am counting calories at the moment because of the AusBB 90 day challenge. It's given me good insight into how much energy is in how much food so far, i will be counting for the whole 90 days. Should have a fair idea then of how much contains how much at the end i am hoping :)

Never counted calories before

It's the best approach for beginners, you will learn a lot. Portion control is essentially calorie counting but you can shoot too low without really knowing sometimes. See also that diet video series I put up if you have time.

For me, I am lost if I don't count most of my calories.

I seem to only improve now only when I am in total control.

I know a lot of calories from memory, mainly produced stuff, but still weigh a fair amount of food wherever possible.

for example, Lunch often 150g of rice (raw weight), can of tuna, and plenty of tomatoe (665 calories and about 40g of protein).