• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Over under grip?

Brick

Question: Do you guys always over under with the same hands. For me its always left as under right as over. Should I be changing it up sometimes, feels weird doing it the other way. Just curious, never thought about it before till I tried to do it the opposite to normal and it sucked.

I alternate the hand grip with each workout but only use it on the last work set

Last edited:
Yeah it just feels wrong. I use my weaker grip on lower sets but for max lift I do what I'm comfortable with.

I always keep the same hands. I'm with beez, it just feels wrong if I swap it up.

Plus, if you are going close to a PB, you don't want to be fucking around with things like the grip.

Yeah Brick, you have to alternate or you'll wear your bar out. ;)

My grip is the opposite to yours. I don't know how you do it.

Just use double overhand for warm up sets and switch to what ever mixed grips feels strongest for heavier sets. Don't worry about switching it around.

I'm left under, right over but I change it up when doing lighter weights.

There was a flashlight test to determine shoulder health and how badly internally (medially) rotated they were. Mine were pretty bad at the time. Which reminds me I was doing rotator cuff work 3x weekly, and it did wonders. Been very lazy with this lately, need to get back into it.

If you let your arms dangle down one will naturally supinate more than the other
I just deadlift with straps these days as I need to clean the chalk up after I use it and I can't be bothered doing this all the time so I just train grip separately

Just use double overhand for warm up sets and switch to what ever mixed grips feels strongest for heavier sets. Don't worry about switching it around.

This is always what I have done double over hand till it gets heavy then over under with what feels natural.

I read some stupid bodybuilding shit on developing uneven traps from doing over under the same grip all the time sorta just made me wonder whether it would have any effect on your shoulder health or anything. I guess it wouldn't cause you use your dominate hand for almost everything a buttload more than your other hand and that doesn't cause any problems or else the whole world would have fucked shoulders.

I don't think it is a big issue for the lifting hobbyist.

Although lifting one rep at 100% of max I would be cautious of possible bicep injury, so go for most comfortable.

The deadlift as an exercise?
Well, that's different isn't it.

I don't think it is a big issue for the lifting hobbyist.

Although lifting one rep at 100% of max I would be cautious of possible bicep injury, so go for most comfortable.

The deadlift as an exercise?
Well, that's different isn't it.

100% on the torn bicep thing I can see how it happens before freako pulled me up on form I was jerking off the ground without having my arms taut it was a torn bicep waiting to happen, spose it would be nearly impossible to do with a double over grip.

100% on the torn bicep thing I can see how it happens before freako pulled me up on form I was jerking off the ground without having my arms taut it was a torn bicep waiting to happen, spose it would be nearly impossible to do with a double over grip.

Have you tried a hook grip.

I think it would still be possible regardless brick.

But, yes! "Jerking" is the number one culprit.

.....Are you serious? 99.9% of the ausbb 'population' has never and will never DL over 200kgs..... Thats depressing if you think thats true.

When I say "comfortable" I mean strongest and most bio-mechanically sound.

0ni is correct with his analogy.

But using the deadlift as an exercise meaning for sets and rep's and as a means to improve strength and flexibility thorough out full range of movement I think then that using a mixed grip is a must.