• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Overhead press thread

Since when do you have to be in a comp to want to fully complete a lift.

Well, the lock out at the top is just a comp requirement but if you're wanting to work the muscle then you'd avoid locking out the elbows at the top.

Well, the lock out at the top is just a comp requirement but if you're wanting to work the muscle then you'd avoid locking out the elbows at the top.

Load of shit. Want to work the muscle how about fully complete the lift instead of cutting it short.

You pretend bodybuilders are a strange bunch.

Why does it have to be locked at the top?

The term "locked" to me means that the limb, and in this case the arm is straight and parallel to the torso so that most of the resistance is being directed through the limb so the muscles around the elbow are doing little but support the weight and In effect just maintaining limb integrity.

What make the press so good is that, done correctly and I mean correctly in relation to hand spacing, there is no escape as with the chin-up and such the muscles around the elbow and shoulder are under constant tension and mechanical work.

Wihtout agreeing or disagreeing wih anyone, Kazmaier (probbaly one of strongest men ever) also recommends prses reps not locking out to keep tension on muscle.

I only lock out fully when testing max or max rep sets as well, although all my reps are pretty much 90%+ range.

Dont know about lockout at bottom though.

I am going to try behind neck presses today and see what i am capable of.

Last edited:
Wihtout agreeing or disagreeing wih anyone, Kazmaier (probbaly one of strongest men ever) also recommends prses reps not locking out to keep tension on muscle.

I only lock out fully when testing max or max rep sets as well, although all my reps are pretty much 90%+ range.

Dont know about lockout at bottom though.

I am going to try behind neck presses today and see what i am capable of.

Kaz has an outstanding work ethic.
As I said sparto I don't really believe it actually possible to "lock out" in the press?
The bench press yes.

I was kidding about lockout at the bottom.

Kaz was a freak no doubt.

I think along the lines of what gooesy is saying. Lock out a max press or push press overhead and hold it. Then say your muscles are not working.

There is no doutb delts are working when elbows locked. Just get anyone to feel them when you have extended arms.

I think what is beng get at, as suggested also by a number of bbs, is that delts work better within a range that does not lockout due to other muscles taking load. In case of press, top part of movement woud involve more tricep.

The single arm dumbbell press is a good example here in terms of lockout whereby you can easily shift the resistance by angle of torso, basically balancing the weight overhead shifting the load to the torso.

The barbell you cannot.

Pros and cons.

There is no doutb delts are working when elbows locked. Just get anyone to feel them when you have extended arms.

I think what is beng get at, as suggested also by a number of bbs, is that delts work better within a range that does not lockout due to other muscles taking load. In case of press, top part of movement woud involve more tricep.

Don't know about this comment spart.

Maybe we could say everything around the shoulder is working.

Greatest resistance is encountered when the arm is horizontal.

I suppose i was trying to say that primary focus on delts decreases near top part of delts, at least that is what some suggest.

Of to gym now to work delts

Ripp teaches the 'shrug' at the top of the lift to get those delts working. I find that pretty useful, for me at least I use it as an indicator of lock out.

Ripp teaches the 'shrug' at the top of the lift to get those delts working. I find that pretty useful, for me at least I use it as an indicator of lock out.

This is a good tip
After a set of chin-ups I like to Fnnish off with reverse shrug, I can do about four, it's painful and hard to do.