• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Protein Powder

Was thinking the exact same thing, i thought WPC was one of the cheapest protein sources around?

I've used cheap WPC (e.g. at $60 for 3kg) and it has left me feeling sick. I would prefer WPI over WPC, but it's closer to $85 for 3kg at the shop down the road from me. It's called RAW protein and it's from NZ - so creamy, but it's just a bit much on the stomach.

Pea protein is just peas.. I have it with honey and rice milk. Wasn't great at first, but I've come to enjoy the shakes now. Unlike all other protein powders I've had over the years which I've come to enjoy less and less.

The BCAAs level are pretty good too apparently. My view is if it's highly digestible my body is going to make more use out of it.. even if it's not quite as good quality as the others.

However, that's not such an issue for you as 1. you seem to have an iron stomach (see 1kg of sweet potato for lunch) and 2. you seem more concerned with taste :p

/edit - and it's $19/kg in 1kg bags, then $17.5/kg for 2kg coming down to $14.95/kg for 20kg (compare WPC is $18/kg for 20kg - using bulk nutrient prices, which is where i get the pea protein stuff from)

Last edited:
I am almost out of wpi and need some more. I hate the taste of every protein powder I have ever had. Are there any out there that are bearable?

Pretty much every protein powder is ok for the first shake or two then just tastes terrible.

FYI Bazza we package our WPI in 1kg bags, so you're able to select a different flavour per kilogram of protein. It works a treat for people like you and I who get sick of consuming the same flavoured whey after a while.

FYI Bazza we package our WPI in 1kg bags, so you're able to select a different flavour per kilogram of protein. It works a treat for people like you and I who get sick of consuming the same flavoured whey after a while.

^^^^^ This is what I do usually order 5kg at a time and get five different favours, my staples are Choc Honeycomb, Mango and Vanilla, then I add some different ones with each order, usually have about 6-8 flavours on hand all in tupper ware style containers bought from wollies.

I don't think I could buy 5kg of one flavour, as I would get sick of it.

Apart from the fact I cant afford to use it, (I buy the odd pre-made drink or bar from the supermarket from time to time but that only when I think I need a protein hit), I'd as soon as buy some beef jerky or a chook and eat that when I need a protein hit.

Bit of a contradiction there, you say you can't afford the cheapest source of protein (bulk WPC or WPI protein powder) yet you buy the most expensive and most overpriced stuff from the supermarket (like $4-5 protein bars and jerky).

Buy some quality protein powder instead of overpriced bars with hardly any quality protein, and make your own jerky, I usually make a kilo or two at a time and then use it for snacks at work.

5kg of WPI is $138 at NB, that is well over 160 servings of protein, works out to be around 83 cents per serving, compared to a supermarket bar that has less protein for $4-5, for the same protein bar you could have 5-6 times the amount of protein or 5-6 shakes for the price of one bar or pre mixed supermarket protein drink.

Last edited:
Musclepharm choc peanut butter is delicious..

But expensive and not sure if it comes any bigger than a 1.8kg tub

Alternatively buy any protein that's cheap, I get venom, $95 4kg, and mix it in a blender with berries... Tastes fine

Species Isolyse Van/Peanut was good for something different but too sweet for me. enjoyed both the Urban Muscle Wpi choc and Vanilla not a bad price for retail compared to other wpi

I stopped using protein powder...

Can't say that I notice any difference....

Would rather eat a kilo of meat now.... Or a whole chicken...

Thanks guys for the tips. Can't fucken stand protein powder any more. Gonna just leave it alone for a while and accept a little bit lower protein intake at the moment and just eat food. I can't bring myself to pay for fucken feral wpi at the moment.

Have you tried natural WPI with no flavours??

Might be what you need.

I have just ordered some from NoBull to try, have never tried or even seen natural WPI with nothing added.

Can hopefully give you a review on it in a few days??

What protein powder have you actually had??

How do you have it??

I love the stuff, it's my daily 'treat' that I look forward to., been using NB exclusively for about 2 years now.

Have had Optimum Nutrition WPI which I ended up throwing out, have tried BN, but prefer NB taste, service and price.

I have had BN choc wpi and wpc.

Protein direct wpi and wpc a long while a go.

Myopure MPC about 5 years ago.

ON, can't remember what a very long time ago.

And few others but can't remember any of them.

Never liked any of them.

Last edited:
Ok,

I have tried Horleys, Optimum Nutrition, Max's, BN, and NB.

Hated the first two, loved Max's Vanilla and Choc but hated the price, tried BN, cheaper but still more expensive than NB, and no option to split orders, then went to NB, cheaper rate per kilo than all the above, and I get to order it in 1kg bags no matter how many kg I order.

I like Choc Honeycomb, Choc Mint, Vanilla, Choc, Love Mango, Banana, not 100% on Strawberry, and choc Peanut and choc coconut, but it's all personal taste.

I don't like it in plain water either.

I have it two ways:

Quick way: 4-5 ice cubes in shaker, 40-50 gram of WPI, 50-70ml of cream and 150ml water, shake furiously and enjoy (lately been adding 10gram of creatine as well)

Noisy way:Add about 8 large ice cubes to blender, 40-50 gram of WPI, 50-70ml cream and 100ml of water, blend till smooth, LOVE IT, its usually similar texture to a Gloria Jeans iced chocolate

For variety I will add cinnamon to Vanilla WPI, or add Coconut oil to choc based flavours.

If I had to drink it mixed 40grams in 200ml of water I would not like it either!

Get NB to send you some samples and try the above recipes

Thanks for that mick. Yep I just have it with water.

If I am having wpi I am having purely for the protein. Adding cream or anything else just defeats the purpose of it for me.

I hate the stuff so much now ill just eat food. Have a bit less protein per day and see what happens.

Can't beat food, love my protein foods.

In theory protein powder is not needed anyway, it's just really a cheap and convenient and quick way to get some protein in. If you eat enough meat I doubt you will notice a difference by not having it.

Can't beat food, love my protein foods.

In theory protein powder is not needed anyway, it's just really a cheap and convenient and quick way to get some protein in. If you eat enough meat I doubt you will notice a difference by not having it.

Agree totally. I only ever use wpi to get a cheap boost of extra protein while cutting. Never use it bulking because i dont need it.

It will mean ill just get a bit lower average protein intake cutting but I'm not really even convinced it will make a difference. In fact I am pretty confident I will make just as good it not better gains cutting without the wpi.

just received my latest BN order.
got strawberry wpi. actually tastes alright!! would be awesome some extra berries etc. just with water fine. its farkin sweet though.

got a cookies n cream sample too. was shit in water.

Agree totally. I only ever use wpi to get a cheap boost of extra protein while cutting. Never use it bulking because i dont need it.

It will mean ill just get a bit lower average protein intake cutting but I'm not really even convinced it will make a difference. In fact I am pretty confident I will make just as good it not better gains cutting without the wpi.

I'll bet that you see no noticeable difference...