• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Questions in regards to Smolov.

I am (after today) 4 workouts from completing the full smolov program (intro, base meso, transition, intense cycles).

Reading up on it before beginning I came across many recommendations to use 90% of your 1RM and so I did.

I have found it quite enjoyable, and not the hellspawn program that is talked about online. Next time I'll probably bump it up to 92.5 - 95% of 1RM and see how that goes.

Edit: I will add that while doing the program I have kept pressing/rowing of some kind 2x a week. No deadlifts, though.

Good feedback moons. Ive often wondered if other lifts suffer as a result of all the squat volume (generally not fitting much of anything else in).

I lol @ how people behave as if it's some secret fucking ultimate routine
I've noticed it's mainly used by people who don't know how to program their own training effectively

I've noticed it's mainly used by people who don't know how to program their own training effectively

That shit works to bring up a lagging lift. It is held in awe because it is brutal and effective. When you look at the lifts on paper you think there is no way that is doable it pushes you just short of the brink of failure.

Oni you bang on like you are the world guru of lifting. Yes you have a strong dead and squat relative to your weight, but how effective has your programming been at bringing up your bench which from memory is nothing spectacular. Maybe you could benefit from a cycle of Smolov jr. to get that BP moving.

OP read this thread.

http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/17666-smolov-squat-questions.html

IF your still interested go to this link.

Smolov Squat Cycle

Then PM your email and I will flick you a spreadsheet I have.

LOL I think I just got well baited by Oni. Awaiting statistical shitstorm that will be your response to this post.

Last edited:

So moons doesnt know how to program effectively?

No ones behaving like its secret.

That shit works to bring up a lagging lift. It is held in awe because it is brutal and effective. When you look at the lifts on paper you think there is no way that is doable it pushes you just short of the brink of failure.

Agreed.

I've done the base cycle once. My PB at the time was 155kg. I failed 160kg twice. I did the 3 week base cycle & ate lots & rested as I was told & come testing time 160kg felt like a warm up and I ended up making 170kg.

I'm now 2 workouts away from completing the base cycle for a second time with my 170kg PB. I didn't drop it to 90% as some had suggested to do. I just attempted to HTFU haha.

I don't know if it's a mental thing or even a good idea but I always push my absolute hardest on the last set and have made at least 1 or 2 more reps than prescribed. Not to say that the previous sets weren't hard though as they definitely were.

Yesterday my 142.5kgx11 (after 142.5x7 (x4 sets)) is apparently calculated 1rm of 196kg. (I know not accurate for those reps) Things are looking good for a new PB come Busta Nut 2 next week :)

In summary, high frequency squatting works very well for me but I do it on and off to give my joints a rest also.

It's an interesting system of training.

I've seen similar ones for people focussed on very specific goals which prescribe very high training frequencies.

Scott Hill who placed 6th in the 93kg division at the IPF Raw Worlds uses Smolov quite regularly. Sticky also has used it to a fair degree of success and so have I.

I don't see many people calling it the ultimate routine at all actually, I just see a lot of people suggesting caution because of the brutal workload it entails.

Scott Hill who placed 6th in the 93kg division at the IPF Raw Worlds uses Smolov quite regularly. Sticky also has used it to a fair degree of success and so have I.

I don't see many people calling it the ultimate routine at all actually, I just see a lot of people suggesting caution because of the brutal workload it entails.

When 0ni is right he's right.

People just need to chill and understand that regardless of what method is used - should in fact *be* brutal that's the nature of weight training believe it or not, being kunty is just a waste of energy.

Try smolov if it works good, if it doesn't float your boat do something else, but make it brutal.