• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Really weak core (Abs)

modo

Banned
Guys, I have struggled for ages with this but i have severly weak abdominal and core muscles.
I am looking for some ab exercises to help me out with
A.Building some abs
B.Getting an over all stronger core, which will hopefully in turn benefit me in all other areas.

I asked a couple of weeks ago at the gym, but all i got was a lecture from the trainer on how shit i look and how i wont get abs just doing crunches and that i should be doing harder cardio then what i am doing every day i shouldnt be able to breath and need to be dripping wet with sweat... and then he went on to lecture me about other things too but point of his ramblings was he wasnt going to help me out.

So what are some ideas?? I do crunches, Swiss Ball Crunches, Planks, Side Crunches, Leg Raises and lying leg raises. I have trouble trying to do cable crunches but again i asked for help on them and got told off so i was like screw that.

Last edited:
Treat them like any other muscle. Go hard and heavy.
Do weighted crunches and weighted reverse crunches, none of this 50 rep stuff.
I use a 20kg plate on my chest when cruching or a dumbell between the feet when doing reverse crunches,

Last edited:
"Core" includes your lower back and upper legs, too. So do some dorsal raises, leg raises and the like.

Or do as the runner/cyclist in my gym does, and try some light dumbell work using the exercise ball to sit/lie on instead of the bench.

yes thank u shrek! i wanna do that, but for me i have trouble getting form right on them. i wana kno how to do them right.

Good example of the reverse crunch there. Now if yo are after extra resistance put a dumbell between the fee or if you have access to a low pully use that with a strap attachment.

I do weighted side and standard planks. Not fun, but effective. Also cable work. I crank up the resistance, turn side on in a semi squat and hold at the front of my chest for one minute without moving. Don't know if that makes sense, think I could draw it better than I explain it!

forget doing side bends. I was actually watching a girl at the gym tonight, doing what looked like 6000 reps of crunches, using one of those telemarketing ab machines.

Continous use of a muscle in a certain way, will make it grow in a certain way. if you do side bends, your waist will end up growing, ala getting a thicker waist, not a better 'core'. If you dont mind a 'blocky' type core, then it's the one for you.

I dont do much core work, I leave it to the heavy compound movements, ie squats, deadlifts, bench presses & overhead presses to strengthen my core, since..well..it's kinda tough to squat twice your bodyweight with a weak core.

is your core weak due to not much training, or something else ?

planks would be one of the best exercises you could do.

I'd agree with the side bends thickening the waist, side bends should be scrapped.

i do compounds, but i feel that my core is lagging behind the rest of me and is part of the reason for overall weakness.

Plank and side plank helps also

edit: just saw that you do planks

Last edited:
The whole 'core' concept is overhyped. You can squat, you can dead lift, therefore it is unlikely that you have a weak core. PTs who constantly carry on about your core are showing their ignorance.

ok thanks bree. would a belt be a good option then?? i do not use one. I have noticed other guys using it even when squatting like 30Kg, but i fear copping a bagging... Screw them i should just use one.

The whole 'core' concept is overhyped. You can squat, you can dead lift, therefore it is unlikely that you have a weak core.
Yes, it is overhyped. Everything gets a few years of being trendy, this is core strength's turn. But to say it's overhyped is not the same as saying it doesn't matter at all.

Most people don't squat and deadlift, so in general can be expect to have weak cores.
If he says he wants to get a stronger core, we should help him.
PTs who constantly carry on about your core are showing their ignorance.
I agree. But then, if the person complains of a weak area and asks how to improve it, we - like a good PT - should respond to that.

A person who's training, their experiences and goals are valid.

Last edited:
Totally agree that core is part of a big trend (hello Pilates and using a fitball instead of a bench). Because of this, people say they have a weak core and don't understand what it means. Just because you don't have a six pack doesn't mean you have a weak core. You can have a six pack and a crappy core. Core isn't really about your mid section. It's your stabilising muscles. People who think they have a weak core often have weak lats and glutes, which will absolutely affect your lifting ability.

A good PT looks at someone's movement to assess their weak spots, they don't just take their word for it. Otherwise we could all listen to Shrek and rid the world of those evil PTs!

I am not saying don't help Modo strengthen his core, but I think we need to put it in perspective. If Modo thinks his core is affecting his progress, there is no point sticking with the idea that working abs and obliques will help miraculously.

Quick question Modo- what makes you think that your core isn't strong?

breebreerocks, your bloody awesome. It's good to be around somebody who's...well...like me.

Gaining a strong core is simple....tho not easy. Let's see you squat 2x your body weight & have a weak core.

There are a lot of benefits to wearing a belt when squatting, deadlifting & bench pressing...thats right, bench pressing. I'd be lost without my trusty belt. It wont however, help you gain a stronger core, as it's doing some of the work for you, to stablize the muscles.

By all means, wear the belt, if you want

i dunno... cause a few people told me i dont do enough core work like they do...

i saw once on telly, the young guy who had created the world record for the number of sit up's....that dude may have had a strong core, maybe have been weak. He looked $hit tho. The point i'm getting to, is the guys who told you, may be doing billions of sit up's a week & well...not doing much at all

true PB... it could all amount for nothing, sit ups are not the be all and end all in core strength.

sorry guys these are little things i learn to realise along the way lol.