• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rows comparison?

SWH

I was wondering if the barbell row is more beneficial to a T bar row or a dumbbell row? I've been doing barbell rows for a while and i was looking to change them up but i know barbell rows are an important compound exercise. Can these rows be substituted with a t bar row and still have the same benefits?

More beneficial for what?

What i meant is are they the same or do they have different primary purposes? I just haven't been seeing much progress with anything on my barbell rows, it feels like a waste of time if oyu know what i mean. i might not be doing them properly but still wanted some input

Do all of them?

I don't have enough time to get through 3 different rowing exercises, I can only have one in my program

Same question again, What is the aim of doing the rows. Bodybuilding, to get stronger at rows, assistance exercise, ect.

Same question again, What is the aim of doing the rows. Bodybuilding, to get stronger at rows, assistance exercise, ect.

I've been using them as a strength exercise sorry, to get stronger at rows. I do rows as a main lift on wednesdays

What i meant is are they the same or do they have different primary purposes? I just haven't been seeing much progress with anything on my barbell rows, it feels like a waste of time if oyu know what i mean. i might not be doing them properly but still wanted some input

I don't have enough time to get through 3 different rowing exercises, I can only have one in my program

Not all at the same time, incorporate them in different routines

Okay i might try that. But is there any significant differences? is the T bar row more of a hypertrophy exercise?

You'd be surprised on how little weight you need to build the rhomboids up (the reason why you row in the first place). I dunno why you would row to get better at rows. I was guilty of this just because I loved rowing heavy weight from the floor - which is fine if that is what you like doing; but if you're doing them to build your deadlift or bench then it's the rhomboids you should be training and they don't need very heavy weight at all. Two plates a side on the chest supported row for a very strict 6x20 is what I've been doing recently with pretty decent results. I think this was Callan's idea. The heavy ass rows from the floor are good for the traps but not so much the rhomboids which I think many people neglect due to going to heavy

Okay i might try that. But is there any significant differences? is the T bar row more of a hypertrophy exercise?

A row is a row. Just focus on squeezing the shoulder blades together. Anything else is personal preference

So your saying that rows should be thought of as assistance work instead of a primary lift?

If you have heavy DB's and you want to develop your back these are a better option than a barbell.

Chest supported row even better

The bar bell row is a different animal.

Supporting the chest enables one to focus on the back safely

I've been doing chest supported barbell rows of late. Been doing them lying face down on an elevated bench, I like these a lot better than normal standing barbell rows. No way to cheat the lift.

I actually believe that the row as Bazza described is a better back developer than the good old chin-up and I disagree with 0ni describing it as an accessory lift, I don't even really understand what that means to a person trying to improve ones muscular development.

I actually believe that the row as Bazza described is a better back developer than the good old chin-up and I disagree with 0ni describing it as an accessory lift, I don't even really understand what that means to a person trying to improve ones muscular development.

It's an accessory lift because it is used to build your back musculature and not done for max weight like squats, bench, deadlift, press, clean + jerk, snatch etc
I agree that it is the staple back builder though

Okay well i think i'm gonna mix it up every week, might start with chest supported rows tomorrow, t bar row the next week, barbell row the week after. Might just mix it up a little

Okay well i think i'm gonna mix it up every week, might start with chest supported rows tomorrow, t bar row the next week, barbell row the week after. Might just mix it up a little

I'd recommend consistency over this