• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rows comparison?

How about inverted rows too.
If you do them strict, bodyweight would be enough resistance for most.
Can always add a weight vest or plates for more resistance.
Like the prone rows, it's tough to cheat when you do controlled reps.

Okay well i think i'm gonna mix it up every week, might start with chest supported rows tomorrow, t bar row the next week, barbell row the week after. Might just mix it up a little

Stick with one or two for 3 or 4 months Sam, then choose another and so on.

bb rows, bent right over, pull to mid section, are a great bench assistance exercise, slip them into bench day

db rows, pull ups are great for back day

bent over bb rows to chest are good for anterior delts, traps Shoulder day?

Sam, if your interested in my 2c, then I'd say listen to what Goosey, Bazza and The Hulk said. Personally, my top 'rowing' prefrences would be:

1. Inverted Row
2. One Arm DB Row
3. Any form of Chest Supported Row

If you want me to go into detail on why I favour any of those particular exercises then I'd be happy to. lol, Im happy to write an essay, but only if someones gonna read it.

If you have heavy DB's and you want to develop your back these are a better option than a barbell.

Chest supported row even better

The bar bell row is a different animal.

Supporting the chest enables one to focus on the back safely

I've been doing chest supported barbell rows of late. Been doing them lying face down on an elevated bench, I like these a lot better than normal standing barbell rows. No way to cheat the lift.

How about inverted rows too.
If you do them strict, bodyweight would be enough resistance for most.
Can always add a weight vest or plates for more resistance.
Like the prone rows, it's tough to cheat when you do controlled reps.

Also, if your interested in the opinions of someone with a 'reputation', you might be interested in this 'Upper Back' article by Charles Poliquin:
T NATION | Top Seven Upper Back Exercises

I love Pendlay and he has helped a LOT with me personally with my training but I felt like I got nothing out of strict barbell rows. I find violence to build my deadlift much more and since doing chest supported rows my bench set-up has got a lot tighter. Seated rows make my lats more pumped than any other row also but the temptation to cheat is very big for me so I don't do them too often

I guess everyone is different...There's some very mixed opinions on Pendlays...I personally felt like I'd been hit by a truck after my first time doing them and I reckon my back strength has improved greatly...

I guess everyone is different...There's some very mixed opinions on Pendlays...I personally felt like I'd been hit by a truck after my first time doing them and I reckon my back strength has improved greatly...

What sort of weights were you using for your rows?

I've personally found that Pendlay style rows do the least for my back out of all row variations I've tried.

Fair enough, I just threw my 2c in there since Sam is training to get bigger/stronger for rugby, imo he thus wants to move the most weight possible.

For what its worth I think most people try to do pendlays too heavy you have to be strict and really get the shoulder blades pinching together. I reckon they are an awesome back builder if done right.

I think the variations done with a barbell are movements where you focus on the movement, doing heavy weight with good form, and just get the work done. Anything where you are usi g a machine or a supported chest you should be concentrating on working the muscle.

For football - in order of value - power cleans, chins, dumbell rows, upright rows, barbell rows or tbar, anything with a cable - the first 4 are the most important.

I can't stress the value of a big yoke for rugby. I would be doing cleans and upright rows whenever you could.

I think the variations done with a barbell are movements where you focus on the movement, doing heavy weight with good form, and just get the work done. Anything where you are usi g a machine or a supported chest you should be concentrating on working the muscle.

For football - in order of value - power cleans, chins, dumbell rows, upright rows, barbell rows or tbar, anything with a cable - the first 4 are the most important.

I can't stress the value of a big yoke for rugby. I would be doing cleans and upright rows whenever you could.

Upright rows are shoulder suicide.

For what its worth I think most people try to do pendlays too heavy you have to be strict and really get the shoulder blades pinching together. I reckon they are an awesome back builder if done right.

^This^
I believe that when the weight starts to get too heavy you use your body to lever the weight, as opposed to using shoulder blades.

^ yep ^
I'm fairly strict on my Pendlays, 90ish is good for 5-6 reps...80 was perfect for 10 reppers earlier in the week...
Did them with inverted rows yesterday and today the doms in the traps/lats is strong!!