• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ten Commandments of powerlifting.

PowerBuilder

Ernie Frantz: 10 commandments of powerlifting

1. Equipment ( wraps,suits;etc. ) should be a benefit,so learn to ues it wisely.
2. Make sure you warm up properly and listen to your body.
3. Act like your light lifts are heavy, so your heavy lifts will feel light.
4. Concentration separates the good from the best.
5 Keep every bodypart tight during the entire movement.
6. When trying a new style work up slowly, but work hard.
7. There is no excuse for a lack of practice.
8. A good deadlifter will always finish strong.
9. Bodybuilding and powerlifting do not mix. Make your choice- beautiful muscles or raw power.
10. Work with a positive attitude. A winner thinks he can and a loser never thinks.

I don't understand number 3
if you approach a lift and are thinking to yourself "fuck this is going to be heavy" its going to feel heavy no matter what..... but it u approach it with a state of mind that its going to be light and easy, theres a much greater chance that it is going to feel light.

But that's not what number 3 says, the way it's worded it says the opposite...

3. Act like your light lifts are heavy, so your heavy lifts will feel light.

I read it that way too Darkoz...

perhaps it means, put all of your effort into lifting your lighter weights so that mentally, you're prepared for your heavier sets? I don't know...

Perhaps Pete can explain it for us when he see's this...:)

Yeah you may be right
Bloody power lifters, always like to complicate things
hmm i just assumed it was a typo hahahaha
well when i warm up i try to treat each set as a max attempt (if i remember to LOL) set up right, walk it out like a max... respecting the weight. it does seem to help lol

hmm i just assumed it was a typo hahahaha
well when i warm up i try to treat each set as a max attempt (if i remember to LOL) set up right, walk it out like a max... respecting the weight. it does seem to help lol

+1 that's what it means and should be applied to weight training regardless of goals (BB/PL/OL). Don't go its only a 60kg bench warm up and put minimum effort and no setup into it, not a good habit to get into.

I read it that way too Darkoz...

perhaps it means, put all of your effort into lifting your lighter weights so that mentally, you're prepared for your heavier sets? I don't know...

Perhaps Pete can explain it for us when he see's this...:)

I think no. 3 is great advice for anyone lifting, powerlifting or otherwise. In fact, there all good rules to lift by!

Act like your light lifts are heavy, so your heavy lifts will feel light.

For me number 3 means (this is just how I read it) - Go through every set and rep with the focus and intensity as you would your heavier sets...this way you will be more prepared in body and mind to attack your heavier working sets....dont just pussy foot around with your warm up sets like alot of ppl do...these sets are what will make or break your heavy working sets....prepare, focus, destroy....

Act like your light lifts are heavy, so your heavy lifts will feel light.

For me number 3 means (this is just how I read it) - Go through every set and rep with the focus and intensity as you would your heavier sets...this way you will be more prepared in body and mind to attack your heavier working sets....dont just pussy foot around with your warm up sets like alot of ppl do...these sets are what will make or break your heavy working sets....prepare, focus, destroy....

Exactly. Key word is FOCUS.

9 Is bullshit. Both sport can take things from each other and use them.

Focus can be individual. I know with footy if I think about the game before hand too much I tire myself out and play shit. It feels like I have played a game before I have even played. I am much better off not thinking about it, i already know how to play.

Other people are different and like to sit by themselves for an hour before the game and visualize what they need to do.

I find with lifting I am the same. I have a goal what I need to lift and in between sets lift better if I don't think about it at all until I am up at the bar.

Focus can be individual. I know with footy if I think about the game before hand too much I tire myself out and play shit. It feels like I have played a game before I have even played. I am much better off not thinking about it, i already know how to play.

Other people are different and like to sit by themselves for an hour before the game and visualize what they need to do.

I find with lifting I am the same. I have a goal what I need to lift and in between sets lift better if I don't think about it at all until I am up at the bar.

I think the meaning of 9 is pick a goal and stick with it...theres to many ppl that are half way between a strength program and half way between a bbing program and they really should focus on one of the other....

Its really about sticking to a set goal and focusing on it....

I agree you can take diff aspects of bbing and apply them to powerlifting i.e supplement work/exercises and there are diff methods/ideas from powerlifting that you can apply to bbing i.e sticking to compound core movements, having a lower rep/set range etc...but at the end of the day you program to your goal...

for body building dont they say to use between 8-12 reps?
for powerlifting you use between 2-6 reps...
think about it, one is more 'endurance', the other is power.
you wont see a sprinter training with the same outlines as a marathon runner...
look into slow twitch fibers and fast twitch fibers and you will soon see that training for bodybuilding is going to hinder your lifts in the long run if you plan to be a powerlifter.

basically it comes down to you dont want to train slow twitch fibers if you want to be a powerlifter;
An Example Of How Your Muscle Fibers Are Recruited
Say you were to help someone lift a heavy couch up a flight of ten stairs. You would use your hands as grips and let your legs do all the work. On the first step your legs will start to recruit type IIa fibers. By the 2nd or 3rd step your nervous system does not recruit more motor units. This being the case the first set of fibers rest and more type IIa fibers are recruited. Along with these, a number of type IIb fibers are called into play (to maintain fluent motion up the stairs).
As your journey continues more type IIa and type IIb fibers are recruited until by the last step they have all come into play. Your muscle fibers weren't twitching at maximum speed until the end of the stairs when they neared failure. The faster a muscle fiber twitches the greater the force is. At the beginning, the fibers weren't forced to twitch at maximum frequency to overcome the weight, but at the end they had to produce as much force as possible to overcome the weight. This is how recruitment is designed to maintain a certain amount of force.
Recruitment In Low Rep Sets
Low repetition work (in the 1-5 rep range) provides an extremely unique adaptation. To overcome the weight, your body must recruit as many motor units as humanly possible. This will cause your nervous system to become more efficient at this process. Over time, you will learn to lift the heavier weight with all (or close to as possible) of your motor units in one rep. Powerlifters are brutally strong for this reason. They can basically make all the their motor units fire at once.

its either train to sprint (recruit as many motor units and make them fire at once) or train to run marathons (endurance, recruitment is slow and allows you to maintain a movement longer)