• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Trouble keeping feet flat when squatting

Fakepolitik

The title is pretty much self-explanatory.

I'm trying to include squats in my routine, but I'm having major issues keeping my feet flat on the ground and it puts major strain on my knees when going up.

Is this a common problem with beginners and, more importantly, what can I do to fix it?

Get proper lifting shoes. Until then, elevate your heels by standing on some small plates till you get the flexibility needed

I used to use small plates under my heels until my flexibility increased, now I have no problems keeping feet flat.

I have got a pair of cocktail shoes with a solid 30mm heel and this was a lot more comfortable, just ordered some do-wins from australian kettlebels as I dont feel all that safe wearing my shoes. It was enough to tell me I needed weightlifting shoes though

Got a video? Your squat form could be out too. You can also stretch your calves every day to work on your flexibility.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's probably more of a mobility issue with your ankles than flexibility. Plates under your feet is a great idea until your ankles become more mobile.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ankle stretching in addition to what all the other gentlemen have suggested above would be a great start. There's no reason why your ankes should be tight and lack flaxiblity. So here's a remedy for you:

Calf%20Stretch%20w%20Knee%20BentB.jpg
stretching_before_2_ap_03.gif

To stretch the soleus and Achilles tendon areas, slightly bend the back knee, keeping the foot flat. This gives you a much lower stretch, which is also good for maintaining or regaining ankle flexibility. Stretch for 10 seconds on each leg. This area needs only a slight feeling of stretch.

Fadi.

Slightly on topic.....

Hip wink. Hardcore.

What causes it? The person I have in mind is quite flexible, and has no tightness in the hamstrings....
Posted via Mobile Device

I used to have the same problem. I used plates under heels for awhile. Then I widened by stance a tiny bit, got more flexible and started doing low bar squats, and I can do it fine now...

I'm not sure how much the low bar squat change had to do with it but yeah.

cb64f125-3474-3b3c.jpg

I usually tell my people to squat between their legs to improve their squat and to minimize hip-tuck, we also work on strengthening the lower back and hamstring, this can be done a number off ways.

Is goblet work more for technique building than strength gain? [/i][/size]

So....really I did know. I guess I was interested to know if you use it at all for strength building, for people of a pretty young training age

Last edited:
The goblet squat is outstanding for teaching or re-teaching a person how to squat.

Markos is on the money as usual, another one I like; is load the bar up with enough weight that you can complete 10 and do twenty, thirty! Fifty if you can.
Posted via Mobile Device

If it was that obvious, why the f u c k did you ask the question.

FFS, how big a DB would you need to get strength gains from Goblet squats? And how the **** would you hold a 150kg DB?