• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

which low-mid price aussie supplied barbell?

Ok, it's not like I've never lifted weights before, or that I'm going to suddenly decide to be a powerlifter after many years... (I'm 33)

Im 6'1, 110kgs, bench 100 for sets of 5-6 and heaviest squats I've done (which weren't really deep enough), were 180kg, curls up to 27kg dumbbells

this bar is going to be used purely in a rack and for deadlifts on rubber Mats with rubber coated plates, it's going to get dumped on the safeties and J hooks at my failure sets, I have no interest in Olympic lifts and I'm never going to enter a comp.

I'm completely happy with the bars at my 'fitness centre' type gym (they do have one rack, I bench more than just about anyone else there though)

28mm makes sense, so I'll just consider those, thinking the iron edge at present as I want their plates .....

Has anyone tried the economy iron edge bars?

Cyberfit, man I plug him so much I should get a commission.

It was the only dirt cheap 28mm oly bar I could find. Those 31mm cheapies everyone sells suck so bad.

Did I tell you he is banned from this site for spamming?

I bought the basic olympic bar from world fitness with my squat rack maybe a a year and a bitish a go... It retails for $99, im assuming that just means im a pussy and not lifting enough if it hasnt bent yet :S....

I bought the basic olympic bar from world fitness with my squat rack maybe a a year and a bitish a go... It retails for $99, im assuming that just means im a pussy and not lifting enough if it hasnt bent yet :S....

You've gotta put it over your back when you squat mate, not leave it on the hooks :p

Ok, it's not like I've never lifted weights before, or that I'm going to suddenly decide to be a powerlifter after many years... (I'm 33)

Im 6'1, 110kgs, bench 100 for sets of 5-6 and heaviest squats I've done (which weren't really deep enough), were 180kg, curls up to 27kg dumbbells

this bar is going to be used purely in a rack and for deadlifts on rubber Mats with rubber coated plates, it's going to get dumped on the safeties and J hooks at my failure sets, I have no interest in Olympic lifts and I'm never going to enter a comp.

I'm completely happy with the bars at my 'fitness centre' type gym (they do have one rack, I bench more than just about anyone else there though)

28mm makes sense, so I'll just consider those, thinking the iron edge at present as I want their plates .....

Has anyone tried the economy iron edge bars?
the first bar i bought.... was fucked a few weeks after lol

if its going to be used for rack pulls go the thicker bar... simply for the slightly more durability. i wouldnt use a bar with shit knurling with a 180 squat lol if you have used a bar with good knurling you would understand the difference the grip on your back makes.... its massive.

You've gotta put it over your back when you squat mate, not leave it on the hooks :p
goo must of learned to squat watching vids on youtube.... he thought unracking it and putting it back down was a squat :D

the first bar i bought.... was fucked a few weeks after lol

if its going to be used for rack pulls go the thicker bar... simply for the slightly more durability. i wouldnt use a bar with shit knurling with a 180 squat lol if you have used a bar with good knurling you would understand the difference the grip on your back makes.... its massive.

I use the padding around the bar for my squats, so the centre knurling won't matter :)

Never done a rack pull, but I guess I might in the future..... However, people are saying even the $500 bars will die this way, so it wouldn't be worth getting one??

I use the padding around the bar for my squats, so the centre knurling won't matter :)

Never done a rack pull, but I guess I might in the future..... However, people are saying even the $500 bars will die this way, so it wouldn't be worth getting one??

......you fucking what?

oh well if your just doing normal deads but inside the rack the normal 28mm bar is better, as for dumping a squat, it ill kill any bar, no matter what lol

but if you dont plan on dumping it or doing rack pulls naturally the better bar is going to be better, it will have better rotation, better grip and will last longer. just need to take care of it and not drop it on safeties.

Not any more you don't.

Never been interested in appearing tough, (helps being over 6 foot, over 100kg and bald), so I'm happy to keep my padding and add a little comfort :)

Essentially, if it's a bar to be used in a. Rack, failed onto the spotter bars for heavier sets, does an expensive bar make sense ?

well depends how you fail.... in general, if you fail on strength you just stall and go down slow, you could almost set the bar down... but if your failing because you lose balance and fall over, its going to be fast, this is where you destroy the bar. (haha used to do this all the time... split my finger open on the rack once when it got wedged by the bar lol)

if you take care of the bar, you can get the quality bar and dont dump it, it will be better...

but if you are going to dump it regularly, the cheap bars will eventually be bent beyond use lol so you will need to constantly get new bars

as for the pad... its not about being tough, its about better grip, better positioning, the closer the bar is to the body, the safer the load on the body is.

Last edited:
depends on what the op is lifting and lifting from (concrete vs some kind of mat might mke a difference up to a certain weight)

op doesn't want a $500 bar

15m rubber mats is the plan.... How heavy is a certain weight? , under 100kg?, under 200?

deadlifts/cleans will bend a bar faster than you think lol

as for the muscle motion bars i cant comment on, never used them

have used a thicker bar 30+mm... as brick said, awkward to hold.
not sure what brand it is but he said it was cheap.... its a banana lol but keep in mind the guys at my gym use it for rack pulls, so it would of seen some serious weight

Say 150kg deadlifts, not dropped are surely going to be fine though right?

depends how fast you let it go to the ground... basically, if you dont do anyting stupid to the bar, they should be fine, but the cheaper bar will only be able to hold so much, all you can do is try, you might get a cheap bar and it be fine, might last a while, or you could get it and it only last 2 or 3 months

15m rubber mats is the plan.... How heavy is a certain weight? , under 100kg?, under 200?

I don't know exactly, just theory that if you put it down evenly on a softer surface less of the shock will spread to the bar. It will help if you have a few plates of the same diameter to increase the surface area of impact

I'm using the 600kg rated MM bar. I'm dead lifting in the low 100's at the moment and have pushed out the odd rep up to 140kg. Certainly not as heavy as the some of the other guys around here. The bar seems fine, no bends, going strong for over six months now.

I couldn't be fwaaarked reading this whole thread so I will just tell you exactly what I think.

Any of those cheep bars your considering are simply crap, no doubt about it. Having said that, I bought the MM $200 600kg rated cheapy for my wife. I have a Texas power bar and she doesn't like the knurling on it, so went with the MM.

It has basically no knurl at all, it is very flexible, but overall it is OK for the money. Now the reality check, my wife has recently hit a 100kg deadlift 1rm (I'm very proud of her), she weighs 58kg and bent the bar slightly, she still uses the bar and likes it but is thinking of upgrading to something with better knurl and stronger for the future, shes in no rush but wishes we didn't bother getting it in the first place now.

Now for me the bar is useless, I could probably bend it in one session no problem, and the knurl is so shit I don't even bother to use it for anything.

So IMO, even if you just want to bodybuild and stuff, not powerlift, still be better off getting a better bar.

Go for a decent bar mate. I have a cheap one and while its not bent and has taken plenty of abuse its smooth as fuck. Makes squats and deads a pain, bar slipping on us back is no fun.