• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

which low-mid price aussie supplied barbell?

If I had to get one of the cheap ones I would get the gym direct 1500lb one because at least when you decide to get a better bar it can still be used for rack pulls.

The muscle motion bars wouldnt last 1 session of heavy rack pulls.

I'm a newbie here but decided to register an account and pose the question is there any reason no one has recommended an ABC power bar? I don't own one myself but I am interested in purchasing one later down the road.

I'm a newbie here but decided to register an account and pose the question is there any reason no one has recommended an ABC power bar? I don't own one myself but I am interested in purchasing one later down the road.

they are great =) but they aren't in the $200 price range as specificed by the OP

Ok.... So for squats, bench and deads the Texas power bar is what everybody saw to get....

A few questions

1. If its sometimes going to hit the safeties, is it worth it, or will it just get destroyed as fast as a cheap one?

2. What if I want to do rack pulls? What would the recommendation be?

3. Nothing to recommend under $600??

I want something to last, but I'm not a pro and don't intend to be....

I own

1 china bar, no name cost $75.
Has seen many 200kg deads, still straight as a die. Has no bearing in the sleeves, it's just an oly sleeve slipped over a standard bar from what I can tell.

3 600kg MM bars $200ea
Bent 2 with 250kg squats, still usable though.
The third is still very straight, but see's a max of 180kg squats from our novices.
Knurling isn't the best, so only gets used for squats/bench.
For under $200, it's not a bad bar.

1 pendaly next-Gen oly bar $600ish?
Seen a few 200+ squats. Gets a little wild after that as its so fucking whippy, add that to the fact it has no centre knurl, it only gets used for oly work on the platform, and some of the girls that dead under 100kg.
Being a strength and conditioning gym, wouldn't buy another.

5 ABC bars $550ish
Brilliant bars for the money. Seen 300kg+ squats and 230kg benches, lots of 270kg deads.
Not one is bent, and these get smashed daily.
They come standard with a great knurl, but if you know what your talking about, ABC will do custom knurl for you. I have 3 different types of knurl.
Will buy more.

Texas deadlift bar $650
Fucking awesome bar to deadlift with. 27mm, and brutal knurling.
Not much good for anybody else but powerlifters, and this bar can't be used to squat or bench with...... Unless your a complete novice, in which case you shouldn't be buying such specialized equipment.

Next bar I'm getting is an Eleiko comp bar, but am not sourcing it within Australia as the prices are down right stupid. I should be able to get a few for around 1k each.

If you plan on getting strong, I'd save up and get an ABC, if your just a recreational lifter, a MM bar will suffice.

Ok.... So for squats, bench and deads the Texas power bar is what everybody saw to get....

A few questions

1. If its sometimes going to hit the safeties, is it worth it, or will it just get destroyed as fast as a cheap one?

2. What if I want to do rack pulls? What would the recommendation be?

3. Nothing to recommend under $600??

I want something to last, but I'm not a pro and don't intend to be....

Don't do rack pulls if you want your bar to last. Pull off blocks instead.

If you dump your bar on the safeties, no bar will last. If you lower it, a good bar will last forever.

Don't do rack pulls if you want your bar to last. Pull off blocks instead.

If you dump your bar on the safeties, no bar will last. If you lower it, a good bar will last forever.

And block pulls are a better lift anyway.

Forgot to add, ABC bars are Australian made.
You're supporting Aussie jobs buying ABC, something everyone should be trying to do where possible.

I own

If you plan on getting strong, I'd save up and get an ABC, if your just a recreational lifter, a MM bar will suffice.

Great information, thanks!
I'm recreational... but what is 'strong' .. I'm a big guy, I can see myself squatting 200/220 at some point (I've done some not great squats with 180 before), I'm assuming that still falls into recreational?

Sounds like ABC bars are on the money though...

I don't intend to drop on the bars, but.... it's bound to happen at some point when i realise what my limits are :) (I reracked the 180kg squats, but i didn't go deep, if i did, i doubt i would have gotten up :), i'm assuming they don't need to be placed 'gingerly' with something like the ABC bar?

Yep....

I used an ABC bar at PTC... That thing is freakin awesome...

Had not realised how crappy commercial gym bars are till then...

Great information, thanks!
I'm recreational... but what is 'strong' .. I'm a big guy, I can see myself squatting 200/220 at some point (I've done some not great squats with 180 before), I'm assuming that still falls into recreational?

Sounds like ABC bars are on the money though...

I don't intend to drop on the bars, but.... it's bound to happen at some point when i realise what my limits are :) (I reracked the 180kg squats, but i didn't go deep, if i did, i doubt i would have gotten up :), i'm assuming they don't need to be placed 'gingerly' with something like the ABC bar?

I have missed squats well over 200kg onto the safeties.
The important this is that the spotter arms are the right height.
If the bar falls more than 2-3 I inches you run the risk of bending anybar.

That said, we had a guy drop 200kg on an ABC from about 60cm above the safeties, it didn't bend. It's not something you want to EVER do, but accidents happen.

Do i need to care about thrust bearings for non olympic lifting?, also... for the cheaper bars

(Gymdirect, gymandfitness, kettlebells.com.au) which has the better knurling for grip?

(the samsfitness bars are all 30mm+, and my grip is poor enough so i think i'll need to stick with 28)

Most if not all of the cheap bars are smooth and polished with fairly non existent knurling. With chalk its not such a problem with deads but suck for squats. Grab a good one straight up mate, I wish I had the funds to when I got mine.

Most if not all of the cheap bars are smooth and polished with fairly non existent knurling. With chalk its not such a problem with deads but suck for squats. Grab a good one straight up mate, I wish I had the funds to when I got mine.

I'm assuming you mean the centre knurling for squats... considering i (really) use a bar pad for squats to date... i'm not sure i'd miss it.

I have however asked ABC for a price.

(I also use gloves, but even so knurling would help for deads i'd assume, my grip there is a real limitation for me)