• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

workout belts

The only guys in my gym that wear them only use them for squats and deadlifts. I only use the belt for weighted dips, which is fast becoming one of my favourite exercises. The gym has a bunch of old belts hence no need to buy one just for this exercise.

All the olympic lifters I train with who use belts use the velcro ones.

They dont compete with them but they almost always train with them. Its got something to do with "being aware of bracing yourself" as the coach said. I'll investigate further.

Yeah, belts are good for spacial awareness too.

I'm about to order mine tomorrow to spite you guys - an outbak powerlifting belt in XL :D

edit: got it just then for $65 and despite ringing at 12 Matt raced to the courier so it would be posted today. God I love samsfitness, I wish I bought my weights set from them.

kyle: though you're completely wrong about belts gary glitter is a pain in the arse. I wouldnt listen to him, his squat is pretty lame anyways.

Last edited:
Got it today, this is ****ing HUGE

I tried it on and it makes all the difference. You guys are really missing out!

Last beltless squat: this friday, 170kg. Will film.

lol.........you must love the banter, anyway, I'll let Max know that he is missing out with his double bodyweight squats x 10 because he doesnt have a big ass belt lol

I suppose I should tell Nick and Daryl as well, Kelly, Spiros, Chris, Shorty, Ghosty.............

You should, cause when I hold my breathe shit gets TIGHT

I think I'm gonna start an ausbb belt club :D

I actually have a lever type belt used in powerlifting.

My friend Adam Coe (google him) brought it back from the States in 1989/1990 for me.

i-portrait-adam-coe.jpg

adam3.jpg

Best Competition Lifts?
At 90kg:
Squat / 300kg
Bench / 212.5kg
Deadlift / 320kg

At 100kg:
Squat / 370kg
Bench / 245kg
Deadlift / 355kg

Its still in mint condition, but can I be in your club?

I added the Adam stuff because he is in your weight class and is the greatest Powerlifter in Australian History. Thats not my opinion.....

Australian Top Ten Powerlifting Rankings – All Time Greatest

(Co-efficient based on Glossbrenner formula)

NAME
WEIGHT LIFTED
BODYWEIGHT
FORMULA

Total - Men

ADAM COE
LAURIE BUTLER
PAUL NAY
LAURIE BUTLER
MASON JARDINE
CHARLES COLEIRO
GLEN WASZKIEL
CLYDE HOLANI
DINO TOCI
FRED HERMAN

Anyway, Adam is the guy that introduced me into your beloved sport. Yes, he wore a belt lol

Holy ****, anything above an 800kg total blows my mind, thats just insane - almost a tonne total at 100kg.

The pic looks old school too - dunlop volleys squats?

curious, whyd you get out of powerlifting?

I was never in it, assistance gear has never sat well with me, even in 1989, single ply suit and shirt, no deadlift suit. Not interested.

I helped my brother who did well, Australian Drug free deadlift record and State Titles winner.

Years later I trained 2 boys in winning the state titles at 67.5 and 75kg class.

A couple of years ago I coached my wife to some state and national records.

I started lifting for football, not to compete.

Thats why I'm so anti assistance gear, I honestly dont see the point, if your not competing, lets find out what YOU can lift.

How strong was Adam? Nearly 20 years later, still no one close, with all these super undies and triple ply shirts and suits, erector shirts etc Lets not mention shallow squats, belly benching, super wide grip bench and wide stance squat. I should post up a pic of Adam benching, regarded as a close grip.

Strong is strong.

I understand the dislike of suits, particularly for the bench press - something wrong about a suit that can add 100kg to a lift.

I'd like to see something like 100% raw in australia - full IPF rules but nothing allowed except a belt, squat shoes and chalk - it would be awesome to see them do this and would attract a lot of rugby teams, police officers and army cadets to compete.

I've really got no clue as to why the IPF wont do this.