• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

workout belts

Belts have their place but 90% of the time they're used as an unnecessary fashion accessory.

Having said that, I'll prob get one soon, although, I want one soley for the attachment so I can hang plates for my weighted dips :)

Having said that, I'll prob get one soon, although, I want one soley for the attachment so I can hang plates for my weighted dips :)

i'm hearing you brother, i've been using a normal casual type of belt for a while now & it's not quite the same

I think it is a credit to this forum that we have managed to generate 9 pages so far on the topic of belts.

Bravo chaps.

Morgan, I have found chains hung over the neck/shoulders to offer greater resistance than a heavier weight from the belt, although this probably doesnt help you in a commercial gym.

Another option is to have a training partner place a DB in your crossed up legs, a bonus is when you fail, drop the bell and keep dipping.

I do have a proper dip/chin belt at PTC, its a great tool for dips.

I've done that before (hold a DB in the palm of my feet) when doing dips, i haven't tho dropped it then kept going for a few more reps, drop set

dip belts are for fags! i dont wear a dip belt on the soccer pitch so i dont wear one in the gym.

am i doing it right?:p

how about all the powerlifters and Olympic weightlifters that use belts.
Again, how many people are powerlifters or Olympic-style weightlifters?

And of those who are, how many actually wear belts?

So this is far from universal. What comes to mind is crash helmets and flame suits for driving. It'd be strange to wear them to drive to work, but someone in a race probably should.

also if your soooo in love with ptc why dont you train there?
I'm hardly in love with PTC, there are many issues to consider in your training which may mean this place is best suited to you, or some other place.

It's simply a good example of many people lifting raw and doing well. I present it because I don't know of many others, and this one I've seen myself. I mean, if I went to Phoenix or Doherty's I'd talk about them, but I've never been.

I talk about what I know and have seen, and not about what I don't know and haven't seen. Radical idea, I know.
PTC said:
Why would anyone bash Kyle over this argument. He presents facts, not theories.
Some blokes get upset by facts and start talking about their penis instead.
hyjak said:
one thing i notice with him is his knees do not move in or out as he rises no matter the weight or depth of the squat, very impressive.
Shorty's amazing, yes.

Also, I must say that when you wear a belt you don't count the bar. :p

So this is far from universal. What comes to mind is crash helmets and flame suits for driving. It'd be strange to wear them to drive to work, but someone in a race probably should.

that's a damn good point

Morgan, I have found chains hung over the neck/shoulders to offer greater resistance than a heavier weight from the belt, although this probably doesnt help you in a commercial gym.

Another option is to have a training partner place a DB in your crossed up legs, a bonus is when you fail, drop the bell and keep dipping.

I do have a proper dip/chin belt at PTC, its a great tool for dips.
Thanks PTC, your right, the chains probably wouldn't fit in at my gym lol.

I have been putting DB's between my knees with bent legs, I have already got up to +35kg DB and that's the heaviest at my gym has which is pretty sucky.

im going for page 11.

For the record, ive worn a belt once. Felt weird and un natural. Have not thought twice about it since.

i havent... ive also never used a leg press or a cable machine and i have absolutely no idea what periodisation is. :p

Damn that counting the bar thread must of been deleted?
Theres only a couple of guys that wear belts in the gym I visit, never seen them do squats or deadlifts though.