• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

8 week transformation challenge - how to succeed?

katie

Hi ausbb-ers,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to succeed in an a 8 week transformation challenge. Basically, through diet, weights and cardio, I'm going to give myself an overhaul...

I've entered one through a PT which means I submit photos at the beginning and end to him. There's a small prize for the winner but I'm not interested in that - I'm just interested in actually succeeding at the 8 week challenge. I've previously done 12 week challenges and while my strength has improved at the end of each one, my body still looks exactly the same!!

Thoughts? :)

It would depend on you ultimate goal.
Overall weight loss, muscle gain, or to be more defined (ripped).

What's you goal for the 8 weeks?

Ah yes, stating the all important goals!

It would probably be unhealthy for me to lose weight, but definitely muscle gain and overall definition. Some visible abs would be nice too.

Well to get more defined you need to add muscle first I would suggest an 8 week serious bulk, then a carefully planned 12 week fat loss diet = more defined, ripped hot babe. :)

Shrek is correct, eight weeks is not quite enough to get really ripped if you dont have a lot of muscle to begin with. The more muscle you have, the easier it is to get lean.

I have not been able to convince any female client to bulk, other than my wife. She did it last winter as well, from 58 to 67, back to 60kg for Summer.

She is doing it again this winter.

Thanks guys. Well the challenge hasn't started yet, and I'm not 100% sure about whether it's worth following the challenge (because the PT has said we need to stick to doing his workouts, mainly bodyweight ones, which won't fit in well with stronglifts)

I think I will instead do a 18 week challenge consisting of what Shrek says - 8 week bulk, 10 week cut. Which will bring me to the summer/Xmas holidays nicely.

OK - off to stock up on milk! Starting pics coming tonight/tomorrow in my log.

Thanks all :)

Thanks also PTC for your recount of your wife's experience with bulking and cutting. Psychologically, I'm a bit scared to bulk as I've never weighed heavier than 60kg. Currently I'm 59kg-60kg, I reckon I'll only let myself get to 64-65kg as I don't want to get too much heavier than my stable weight.

Hey katie

I've found from personal experience, that when it comes to a mission like a transformation, if you keep a personal diary, to put things like goals, dreams, visions & that type of BS in it, it'll keep you focused...and you can look at it in the hard times to bring you back to why your doing it in the first place.

In my last cut, i kept telling myself that it was a sequel to my last one & nobody likes a bad sequel ...ie Rocky 5...that was juz pathetic.

Check out girls like Monica Brant, Jamie Eason & the Australian beauty Rosa-Maria Romero. Now, i don't know for a fact, I think it's safe to assume tho, is that what makes this ladies beyond beautiful is the amount of muscle their carrying. Note, their notbodybuilders, female bodybuilders (to me) are not attractive, figure girls like the girls i just mentioned are...well...hot as' (i juz hope my girlfriend doesn't read this).

Back to my first point...keeping a journal / diary would be great, as well as the occasional use of body fat calipers or tape would be handy to monitor progress (make sure you have somebody who actually knows how to use them tho, not some newbie PT who did a 3 hour course on measuring body fat

and for everyones viewing pleasure...

row5-4.jpg

Rosa-Mariahttp://www.bodybuilders.com.au/forum/index.php/board,23.0.html
http://www.bodybuilders.com.au/forum/index.php/board,23.0.html

Thanks Powerbuilder. Yes, keeping a diary definitely keeps me on track :)

I agree with you re: figure girls, they're awesome. I hope to step up on stage in 2011 :)

OK - a sustained 8 week bulk and then a cut is coming up! Since I don't have a heap of muscle to start off with. (grr at being an ectomorph - it seems that no matter how much I eat, I can hardly put on weight! Time to resort to GOMAD me thinks)

hey katie, i read your posts and i reckon you might be a bit like me only I am a fair bit smaller. Always been skinny, delt with some issues around eating, LOVE training and want to do more but have to be careful to balance. I've put on 4kg since I started training 12 weeks ago - super super stoked (i love this word to) and now I am realising that the more I train the more I gain - even the little bit of cardio I do doesn't seem to be hindering my progress in reaching my goals. Good luck with your mission...I will be watching.

Hi eje

Thanks!! We do sound scarily similar. I am guilty of doing way too much exercise at times because I love it so much. (Witness my training log - training in AM + PM ... not very good for gaining muscle!!) But I have learnt heaps from the people at ausbb and will be doing the bulking thing properly.

You should start a training diary, you know. Why not? What have you got to lose? I would like to see how you go with your mission too!

Katie

I have been thinking about the training journal...the only thing is that I am trying to do the right thing without accountability to a journal, just to myself. I kept my food diary for 11 weeks and then over the last week I just didn't feel like I needed it anymore. I don't need to see it on paper anymore. Early days but so far so good. It's a crazy journal when you look back at it, it's stuffed full of diet records but also feelings and thoughts/moods from during the time. I will go back to using it if I slip backwards but right now am steadily moving forward...just wish could go quicker...so impatient (you to?).
I have already learnt heaps from everyone on here. I didn't know much about food, just that it was annoying and distracting from what I needed to get done. Through the forum and my PT, I am changing my habits (night time feasts of kfc, maccas, chocolate lamington sponge rolls, cheesecake, wizzfizz, red snakes etc etc etc) into a new lifestyle (strawberries, museli bread, cottage cheese, baked potatoes, steak, vitabrits and hot protein shakes). Still heaps to improve on (smoking) but I once read a saying "habit is habit and should not be thrown out the window at once without caution. Rather it should be coaxed gently down the stairs, one step at a time". I'm treating myself gently, going easy on the need for things to be perfect, probably another trait we share.
When I started this mission, I would have said to you, "I don't do any exercise", also my excuse for neglecting my diet, it wasnt until I went through my day/week with my PT that I realised I walk around 5km everyday (work and dogs), kayak 3-6 km on weekend..actually quite a bit but because I wasn't sweating or consciously choosing to 'exercise' , I didn't recognise it as exercise. It also was not enough/the right type to gain any muscle tone. Now I still walk everday and kayak but also session with my PT (cardio/weights) 2 x 45mins per week, boxing and abs class 2 x 1hr per week.
The main difference though is the food...I now understand the realtionship better. Food is the key for me, heaps and heaps of the right foods. I will achieve my goals and I am going to look and feel fantastic....I hope you do to.

Good luck with the challenge Katie. I've got a few tips:

1. As PowerBuilder mentioned, keep a log. It's amazing how your accountability will sky-rocket with a training log. If you don't feel that you are disciplined with nutrition, keep a food diary also.

2. If you are not confident in orchestrating the challenge yourself for maximal results, hire a PT. Online or face-to-face - whatever is most suited to your needs. Considering how often you are on this forum, an online PT would be a great asset to have.

3. Plan, plan, plan! Plan it all out before starting - don't just start and go by feel. Then you can set deadlines for each phase of the transformation.

4. Set SMART goals. I blogged about "SMART" goals: Goal Setting for Weight Loss, Muscle Gain or Fitness : Online Personal Training Blog

5. Assess and re-assess. Take regular objective measurements to assess your progress on a regular basis. Fortnightly photo's also assist, particularly if you're going for a physique goal.

I've actually written a book (my first!) on this topic, due to be released in the next 4 weeks or so in paperback. It goes through my transformation, but then provides a "how-to" guide when entering a transformation competition. This may be of interest to you once it's released.

Thanks aminoz for your very useful tips (especially good to hear from a past Body Blitz champion)!!

Considering how often you are on this forum, an online PT would be a great asset to have.

But is that a subtle hint for me to get off the damn computer... I spend way too much time on here :) Maybe some exercise would do me good! lol...

Actually since katie is Keen Katie, she needs some mellow time, Jay. Otherwise she will go for a 10km run in the morning, do some heavy lifting in the afternoon, then go to the rockclimbing gym in the evening... then wonder why the lifting isn't giving her big muscles :D

You are brave in mentioning fitballs on this forum, mate. Brave. :p

I like fitballs too! and Bosu's as well, even though they copped a huge bagging in the "core strength" thread...

More googling of hot women to assure random strangers on the internet, Kyle? :)

Nah, in all seriousness, that's a GREAT vid. Learnt heaps. Cheers :)

Well, she is not actually my type, I like the curvier woman rather than the low bodyfat athletic type. I'm more into the Nigella Lawsons of the world ;)

I can admire a physique and the training it took to get there without desiring that physique for myself or my bedroom. I admire Frank Zane but I don't want to jump his bones!

Displays of strength and hard training are impressive and inspiring to watch.