• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
PHOTO: Body builder Asha Coulthard hopes to go professional in the bikini category this year. (891 ABC Adelaide: Brett Williamson)
RELATED STORY: #chickswholift: The world of female bodybuilding
RELATED STORY: Josh the giant: Australia's best bodybuilder
MAP: Adelaide 5000

Eight meals a day, five layers of spray tan and endless gym sessions — could you hack the world of a professional body builder?
For Adelaide's Asha Coulthard, Australian International Federation of Body Building (IFBB) Bikini champion, the dream starts in the gym each day at 4:00am.
A chance meeting with a body building trainer four years ago convinced her to try her luck in the category.
[h=2]Building a champion[/h]
Born in Meningie, on the edge of Lake Albert near South Australia's Coorong, Ms Coulthard competed in gymnastics, sports aerobics and acrobatics as a child.
In her later teenage years she lost interest in sport and became more interested in the party scene.
It was when she returned to Adelaide, after travelling north, that she found bodybuilding.
"I got introduced to a coach and he said 'you'd be really good at this [bodybuilding]'," Ms Coulthard told891 ABC Adelaide's Mornings program.
With four weeks to go before her first competition Ms Coulthard hit the gym.
"I shredded down, got up on stage and just fell in love with it," she said.
On her debut she won the South Australian IFBB Bikini Open Short crown and the titles continued to follow.
PHOTO: Asha Coulthard spends up to three hours each day in the gym to ready herself for competition.(891 ABC Adelaide: Brett Williamson)
[h=2]Chiselling the perfect body[/h]Four months before a competition Ms Coulthard begins her preparation schedule.
She trains six days a week with weight training sessions and two cardio sessions a day.
"Weight sessions normally go for about an hour-and-a-half, with cardio also about an hour-and-a-half," she said.
She also heavily monitors her food intake.
"Diet is about 90 per cent of what we do," Ms Coulthard said.
"We eat every two to three hours and it has to be consistent and it has to be at the same time every day."
PHOTO: Shoulders and glutes are the main focus areas for the bikini category. (891 ABC Adelaide: Brett Williamson)
Ms Coulthard said she ate between six and eight meals every day.
"All our meals are weighed to the gram."
She said the months of training and sacrifice paid off when she took to the stage.
"I put all of this hard work and effort in to have that 30 seconds on stage," she said.
"It's worth it for me because that is my end goal."
[h=2]Why the spray tan?[/h]Before each competition Ms Coulthard has five layers of spray tan applied.
Although it may look a little odd, she said the reasoning behind it was simple.
"Everyone is not the same colour so it makes it easier for the judges if we are all the same colour on stage," Ms Coulthard said.
"And it helps to define the muscles."
Four base coats of tan are applied prior to the competition and a top coat on the day.
"We end up quite dark," she said.
[h=2]Hard work all worth it[/h]Ms Coulthard said she found the sport at a time when she was unhealthy and unfit.
She is now a personal trainer and finds being able to share her knowledge and passion rewarding.
"I've now created my own team and have been able to give back in the sport," she said.
Ms Coulthard is due to compete at the IFBB Arnold Classic in Hong Kong from August 19 to 21, with hopes to gain a professional bodybuilding competition qualification.
[h=2]Asha Coulthard's career achievements[/h]
  • 2012 NABBA & WFF South Australia Miss Glamour – 2nd
  • 2012 NABBA & WFF Australia Miss Glamour – 3rd
  • 2012 IFBB South Australia Bikini Open Short – 1st
  • 2013 FitX IFBB Australian Grand Prix Bikini Open Short – 4th
  • 2013 ANB South Australia Fitness Short – 2nd
  • 2013 ANB Asia Pacific Fitness Short – 10th
  • 2013 WNBF Asia Pacific Best Body Swimsuit Class 1 – 1st
  • 2013 WNBF Asia Pacific Best Body Swimsuit – Overall champion
  • 2013 WNBF Asia Pacific USA Figure Class 1 – 1st
  • 2013 WNBF Asia Pacific USA Figure – Overall champion
  • 2013 WNBF Asia Pacific – Best female poser
  • 2014 FitX IFBB Australian Grand Prix Bikini Open Short – 2nd
  • 2014 IFBB South Australia Bikini Open Short – 2nd
  • 2014 IFBB Australia Bikini Open Short – 3rd
  • 2015 IFBB South Australia Bikini Open Short – 1st
  • 2015 IFBB Australia Bikini Open Short – 1st
  • 2015 IFBB Amateur Olympia Bikini Open Short – 1st

Why is it a waste when it's clearly working? I don't know why so many people here are against traditional methods that work.

She's a qualified personal trainer who gets up on stage and is paid to coach. I'd be more inclined to listen to her than random dudes on the internet that don't do the above.

Her methods have been corrupted.
If you were eating 5,6 or 7k cals then yes uiu need 8 meals to.fit all the cals in. At 1500 its not even 200 cals per meals. 2 bites.

Where did you read 1500 calories? I've seen her say she eats 3500 a day in the off season.

Even if it was as low as that, who cares if she splits it up over 5-10 meals. Like I said, she has found what works for her. Why do you care about portion size?

Actually pre comp she'd be on closer to 1000 being a bikini competitor. 125 cals per meal

I think your numbers are wrong. I've never seen her say it's anywhere near that low. However if someone was on calories that low, I think you'd have to space them out across 8 meals. Otherwise you'd be having 2 medium sized meals a day and nothing else.

2-3 medium sized meals and 2x 100 cal shakes is more satisfying than 8 bites.
Its ridiculous really.
40gms of chicken and 2 asparagus spears. ..lol

https://balancedbrunette.com/2015/01/16/diary-of-a-bikini-competitor-13-weeks-out/

1200 cals during prep for this gal and she follows IIFYM. How would you eat 8 meals?
That's someone totally different. Different height, weight, training styles, etc.

I don't really follow Asha's bodybuilding career, but I think she moved up to figure (or fitness, I don't know the female categories). Then cut back down to the bikini division.

Anyway, my point is why knit pick trivial things that don't matter? When I see someone being successful at their career/sport, I see what they're doing that I can use; as they've obviously proven their methods work. Instead it seems to be a common trend around here to shoot them down and tell them what they're doing wrong. Despite the people doing all the shooting never achieve anything of their own.

Last edited:
Meh. I call BS.
Some people say anything to make themselves sound hardcore.
All the best to her.

Who said she's trying to sound hardcore? The meal frequency was one point in a lengthy interview. There are much more impressive ways to sound hardcore if you lift.