• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Hey guys have been doing this program for a few weeks now. I had never done half the exercises in the program so I started off slow and light focusing on form. Getting harder now that the weights going up.

Problem I'm having is when squatting I start getting pain in the hip/ top of butt area. Then it settles and usually comes back doing the SLDL. Is this a case of just needing to stretch the hips etc. more? Any tips on exercises I can do to try help free them up? I've tried a couple just seeing if anyone else has had similar problems?

Hey guys have been doing this program for a few weeks now. I had never done half the exercises in the program so I started off slow and light focusing on form. Getting harder now that the weights going up.

Problem I'm having is when squatting I start getting pain in the hip/ top of butt area. Then it settles and usually comes back doing the SLDL. Is this a case of just needing to stretch the hips etc. more? Any tips on exercises I can do to try help free them up? I've tried a couple just seeing if anyone else has had similar problems?

Scroll down 2/3rd of the down and try this for warm up. DeFranco's Training ..:: The Ultimate Way To Become A Better Athlete ::..

Most likely you are just tight. Butt could be rounding, could be butt wink etc.

I am very tight all over. Never really bothered stretching much in general over the years. Ill keep at the stretches and gonna grab a foam roller as well.

I restructured a rippetoes Workout Logbook Calculator to suit this program and made it in to kg not lbs. My Excel skills are extremely sloppy and I couldn't really figure out how much I should alter the 1RM/8RM section to be more accurate but it seems to be good enough for now. All of the lifts are at least covered with progression making it easy for you to workout and follow when you should add weight etc.

After you read the section below named WORKING OUT YOUR TEST WEIGHT You must now enter these lifts in to the Calculator. Look up the top of the Calculator in the box just below where it says PTC Beginners Program, find where it says "test weight" it will have a value of "0" in all of the fields below it. You need to put your test weights in each field next to the lift you are performing in these boxes. That is all you need to do and away you go! Please don't write kg after it just simply put the number. For example if it was 60kg then put 60, if it was 12.5 kg then put 12.5 etc. It's very simple!

WORKING OUT YOUR TEST WEIGHT:

Some modified advice from Rippetoe

First you need to work out what your "Test Weight" AKA "Working Weight" should be if you don't already know.

So What weight should I start with during the first week you say?

The weight you use is going to be determined by the amount you can do for 10 reps on squats and 8 repetitions for everything else with proper execution and technique.
The way the "first day" in The PTC Beginners Program should go is: the trainee warms up with the bar first, then adds a bit of weight, let's say between 2.5-10 kg. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 10 on squats until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets" workout for that exercise. Then repeat these steps but doing sets of 8 on all of the other lifts as instructed in the PTC Beginners program. I would suggest lifting in the same order as what I have listed in the Calculator for determining your Test Weight and also for the entirety of the program. Feel free to adjust it but always do the first 3 on there first and in that order no matter what. The other exercises you can change to whatever suits you!

Good luck everybody, I hope you enjoy it :D - The file is attached below, it's a zip file so remember to extract it ;):p

Thank you very much, excellent work. (many people would be happy to have such an 'extremely sloppy' excel skills) :)

Uppon2 :

Either I misunderstood the whole concept or I am freak and unable to perform the requirement of this novice program.

For example I determined the bench test weight as 90 kg. According to the excel sheet I have to be able to perform 3 x 8 reps with 127.5 kg within a month; which, frankly speaking, sounds great but impossible.

Same situation with all the others:

Test Weight: | 1 Month later: | Gain per month:

Bench: 90 kg | 127.5 kg | 37.5 kg (41.6%)
DL: 140 kg | 207.5 kg | 67.5 kg (48.2%)
Press: 50 kg | 82.5 kg | 32.5 kg (65%)
Barbell Curl: 35 kg | 65 kg | 30 kg (85.7%)

In this way if I could maintain this progress (41.6% gain per month) I could bench with 5847 kg within 12 month. :confused:

Perhaps, I should increase the weight monthly instead of 3x a week (so it is a 12 month long program)?

I am very confused; please help me interpret the spread sheet and the use. Thx.

Last edited:
Uppon2 :

Either I misunderstood the whole concept or I am freak and unable to perform the requirement of this novice program.

For example I determined the bench test weight as 90 kg. According to the excel sheet I have to be able to perform 3 x 8 reps with 127.5 kg within a month; which, frankly speaking, sounds great but impossible.

Same situation with all the others:

Test Weight: | 1 Month later: | Gain per month:

Bench: 90 kg | 127.5 kg | 37.5 kg (41.6%)
DL: 140 kg | 207.5 kg | 67.5 kg (48.2%)
Press: 50 kg | 82.5 kg | 32.5 kg (65%)
Barbell Curl: 35 kg | 65 kg | 30 kg (85.7%)

In this way if I could maintain this progress (41.6% gain per month) I could bench with 5847 kg within 12 month. :confused:

Perhaps, I should increase the weight monthly instead of 3x a week (so it is a 12 month long program)?

I am very confused; please help me interpret the spread sheet and the use. Thx.

You are correct. I have messed something up. I will take a look :)

that is because this program calls for 2.5kg increments each session until you fail. once you fail you repeat that weight until you do.

so you cannot really program ahead more than one workout at a time, as the result of your last session will tell you what weight to use next.

that is because this program calls for 2.5kg increments each session until you fail. once you fail you repeat that weight until you do.

so you cannot really program ahead more than one workout at a time, as the result of your last session will tell you what weight to use next.

I also forgot to set the appropriate rep range for 10RM for squat and 8RM for everything else. This value was still set for Rippetoes 5 rep system. So essentially you were starting almost 100% more increments than what it should have been as all of the percentages work from that range!

It was a rookie excel user mistake :)

I have fixed it and I am going to upload the new version in a sec

OK GUYS! IT'S FIXED SO GO YOUR HARDEST. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS ENTIRE COMMENT AS IT HAS CHANGED

I restructured a rippetoes Workout Logbook Calculator to suit this program and made it in to kg not lbs. My Excel skills are extremely sloppy and I couldn't really figure out how much I should alter the 1RM/8RM section to be more accurate but it seems to be good enough for now. All of the lifts are at least covered with progression making it easy for you to workout and follow when you should add weight etc.

After you read the section below named WORKING OUT YOUR TEST WEIGHT You must now enter these lifts in to the Calculator. Look up the top of the Calculator in the box just below where it says PTC Beginners Program, find where it says "test weight" it will have a value of "0" in all of the fields below it. You need to put your test weights in each field next to the lift you are performing in these boxes. That is all you need to do and away you go! Please don't write kg after it just simply put the number. For example if it was 60kg then put 60, if it was 12.5 kg then put 12.5 etc. It's very simple!

WORKING OUT YOUR TEST WEIGHT:

Some modified advice from Rippetoe

First you need to work out what your "Test Weight" AKA "Working Weight" should be if you don't already know.

So What weight should I start with during the first week you say?

The weight you use is going to be determined by the amount you can do for 10 reps on squats and 8 repetitions for everything else with proper execution and technique.
The way the "first day" in The PTC Beginners Program should go is: the trainee warms up with the bar first, then adds a bit of weight, let's say between 2.5-10 kg. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 10 on squats until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets" workout for that exercise. Then repeat these steps but doing sets of 8 on all of the other lifts as instructed in the PTC Beginners program. I would suggest lifting in the same order as what I have listed in the Calculator for determining your Test Weight and also for the entirety of the program. Feel free to adjust it but always do the first 3 on there first and in that order no matter what. The other exercises you can change to whatever suits you!

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT HITTING YOUR LIFT LIMIT AND CHANGING THE AMOUNT OF WEIGHT THE CALCLATOR WILL ADD

After you have started the program you will probably notice on a few of your lifts that it will become extremely hard to change the weight every session. What I would suggest is by increasing the weight only on these specific exercises per week rather than per session. Deadlift should still be adjusted by 5 kg and the rest should still be 2.5 kg. The only thing changing is the increase will now happen weekly rather than per session.

You can do this by editing the Calculator by following these steps:

1. Make sure you set your "Test Weight" (like I mentioned in the yellow box up the top of the Calculator) to the weight you last completed with good form. Even if it was a bit slower, as long as it was successful and you weren't shaking like a dog shitting peach seeds

2. Look at the calculator and locate the exercise you are struggling on in the workout list. You will see that on the first session it will have the weight that you have just entered in to the "Test Weight" field in your working set.

3. Click on the cell next to this, it will be session 2: Which is in Column F and depending on which exercise you are adjusting the Row will be 21 for squat all the way down to Row 47 for Bent Row!

4. Once you have the cell highlighted, if you look up towards the top of the Calculator, there is a Formula Bar (It looks like a web browser address bar) Once you see this bar you will notice there is a value inside of it. This value needs to be edited so it will not add on the extra weight per workout. You will notice it will say a sum of =E21+$I$8 if you are in the correct field for Squat for example. The =E21 is representing the Row this specific cell is on, so we need to keep that there but the next part of the value says +$I$8.

You need to remove this so the cell simply reads =E21 if you were in the Squat field. This value +$I$8 if it is in the field, will add on 5 kg of weight for Deadlift or 2.5 kg for the other exercises. If you look up at the very top of the Calculator, you can see the area that says "kg Increase", well whatever is set in this appropriate field for each exercise will reflect how much weight the +$I$8 code should be entering in each field.

Just remove +$I$8 from the address bar and press enter and the cell you have selected will not add on the weight it represents. It's pretty simple yes? Obviously we don't want to do this for every cell because you will be doing the same weight forever. Only ever change the Wednesday and Friday Sessions! If you screw with Monday, you will not only ruin the code but you will not progress as no weight will ever be added for the beginning of each week lol :) - A quick note because Deadlift has a different weight increase value, the code will be different but very similar, it will be +$I$10. That is what you need to remove for Deadlift! You should have by now figured that out anyway, but just in case :D

If you are still confused then please burn your computer, or PM me ;)

Good luck everybody, I hope you enjoy it :D - The FIXED file is attached below, it's a zip file so remember to extract it ;):p

Attachments

• PTC Beginners Program Fixed.zip
    15.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Man i had to split this program into two sessions.

Tomorrow i will be gunning for just the one session of all six.

Thanks for the program.

There are plenty out there, but this is the only one I found that is well laid out and makes sense.

Would be good if the first post could be updated to mention that they are all work sets though and warm ups are separate.

I didn't need to walk today anyway :)

This will probably sound daft...

I stopped weight training Aug this year; a) for a break, b) my sitting job is affecting lwr back & c) gym FEES!

In the process of getting my own gear and acclimitising my self back into physical workouts, started 5kg weighted walking 30-40 mins 6 days per week and next week I'm adding sprints 6 days per week, small sesh after walks, and I plan to throw in some bw work up to 6 days depending on time, how I feel etc.

When I finally do get my own set up which may end up being around Oct - Nov (ish), would it be smarter to start with the beg prog on 1st page? My wife who is untrained will start under the tutilage of coach Barnicle.... She's seen the results and has the bug! I of course am happy to oblige ;p

Thanks all.

Last edited:
First post; being a novice in strength training and jumping from program to program, I was seeing results, but nothing spectacular.
I found this thread a few months back and decided to move away from the shitty program I was on at the time (lots of tricep/bicep extensions, more machine work then free weights, zero leg work, typical beginner)

Well in the past few months, I've seen more gains in strength and size then in the last year of weight training. I've gone from avoiding legs like the plague, to falling in love with the squat. I'm hitting PB's every session, feel like vomiting after every workout, and I love it

If you are a beginner, DO THIS PROGRAM

First post; being a novice in strength training and jumping from program to program, I was seeing results, but nothing spectacular.
I found this thread a few months back and decided to move away from the shitty program I was on at the time (lots of tricep/bicep extensions, more machine work then free weights, zero leg work, typical beginner)

Well in the past few months, I've seen more gains in strength and size then in the last year of weight training. I've gone from avoiding legs like the plague, to falling in love with the squat. I'm hitting PB's every session, feel like vomiting after every workout, and I love it

Good on ya, knackers.

Great stuff.