• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Here is the newsletter about Shorty, it's a favourite of mine.

They was a pretty inspirational read, especially considering I weigh a very similar weight, with similar initial lifts. I'll read it again tomorrow before my next workout.

For the record, I made it through the entire routine this time, but I won't whore this thread up with my progress.

Last edited:
Here is the newsletter about Shorty, it's a favourite of mine.

They was a pretty inspirational read, especially considering I weigh a very similar weight, with similar initial lifts. I'll read it again tomorrow before my next workout.

For the record, I made it through the entire routine this time, but I won't whore this thread up with my progress.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

Progressively add weight each set or each week?

Let's use bench press for an example. Say week 1, for those 3 days i do flat bench press 3 x 8 with 65kg. This is a weight i know i'll have no probs starting on with 3 x 8, the following week should i up it afew kg's and so on ?

Also, would this program work if i was to do regular flat bench monday, dumbell press wednesday, incline dumbell press saturday?

Or could i do regular benchpress week1, flat dumbell press week 2, incline week 3?

I ask this because when i was regularly going gym i was working with dumbells before regular flatbench and my strength increased quite abit in all lifts.

I went from flat db pressing 60 pounds to 90 pounds, incline 55 -> 70-80 pounds and would max out regular flat bench at 90kg, all this without a spot untill i hit 90kg on my last set where i needed a little spot on regular benchpress. This was my chest workout, doing 3 x 8 for each exercise.
Since stopping for a year all my lifts have went downhill and i have lost 6kg, i would really like to get back to where i was so i'm looking for a nice strength program to try out..

Last edited:
Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

Progressively add weight each set or each week?

Let's use bench press for an example. Say week 1, for those 3 days i do flat bench press 3 x 8 with 65kg. This is a weight i know i'll have no probs starting on with 3 x 8, the following week should i up it afew kg's and so on ?

Also, would this program work if i was to do regular flat bench monday, dumbell press wednesday, incline dumbell press saturday?

Or could i do regular benchpress week1, flat dumbell press week 2, incline week 3?

I ask this because when i was regularly going gym i was working with dumbells before regular flatbench and my strength increased quite abit in all lifts.

I went from flat db pressing 60 pounds to 90 pounds, incline 55 -> 70-80 pounds and would max out regular flat bench at 90kg, all this without a spot untill i hit 90kg on my last set where i needed a little spot on regular benchpress. This was my chest workout, doing 3 x 8 for each exercise.
Since stopping for a year all my lifts have went downhill and i have lost 6kg, i would really like to get back to where i was so i'm looking for a nice strength program to try out..

Just use a bar mate, you can go up in smaller jumps. Add 2.5 kg (if you can manage it) or 1 kg every session. You don't need to do incline if you're doing overhead / military.

Just use a bar mate, you can go up in smaller jumps. Add 2.5 kg (if you can manage it) or 1 kg every session. You don't need to do incline if you're doing overhead / military.

rambo: All depends if you feel safe using a bar bell or not, personally i use dumbells just so i know if i have a drama i can toss them to the sides without a risk of injury. I find dumbells give a better range of motion and better stretch and are easier on the shoulders also if you are going to be pressing more than twice a week ( this is purely just personal preference and only a suggestion, you do whatever feels comfortable for you mate ). With this particular program if you eat enough you should be able to see an increase of 2.5kg ( or 4kg for a pair of DB`s ) around every 3-5 sessions if you are talking about that kind of weight ( 65kg or so ) once you get to 100kg it may slow down a bit depending on a lot of factors.

Just use flat bench for this program, doing standing military press as well as flat bench in the same routine pretty much covers what incline bench does and at lower weights you will gain more focusing on the major lifts ( bench, dead, squat and MP ) than you will by variations.

Last edited:
rambo: All depends if you feel safe using a bar bell or not, personally i use dumbells just so i know if i have a drama i can toss them to the sides without a risk of injury. I find dumbells give a better range of motion and better stretch and are easier on the shoulders also if you are going to be pressing more than twice a week ( this is purely just personal preference and only a suggestion, you do whatever feels comfortable for you mate ). With this particular program if you eat enough you should be able to see an increase of 2.5kg ( or 4kg for a pair of DB`s ) around every 3-5 sessions if you are talking about that kind of weight ( 65kg or so ) once you get to 100kg it may slow down a bit depending on a lot of factors.

Just use flat bench for this program, doing standing military press as well as flat bench in the same routine pretty much covers what incline bench does and at lower weights you will gain more focusing on the major lifts ( bench, dead, squat and MP ) than you will by variations.

Its a fallacy you get a better ROM with DB.

With a BB, the bar touches your chest, with DB, its the plates, unless your using puny weights with only 2-3 plates per side.

Any strong guy using a big DB cant get the DB wide enough apart to bring their hands down to the pec, the plate hits first.

Its a fallacy you get a better ROM with DB.

With a BB, the bar touches your chest, with DB, its the plates, unless your using puny weights with only 2-3 plates per side.

Any strong guy using a big DB cant get the DB wide enough apart to bring their hands down to the pec, the plate hits first.

Your right mate, maybe i used the wrong choice of words saying better "range of motion" what i meant ( not sure on the right word to describe it in a term ) is that using dumbells i find you dont get stuck in the same groove throughout the range of motion, it tends to be easier on the rotator cuffsi find, with the barbell you are locked in and your shoulders, elbows and wrists all follow through on the same path for nearly every person ( grip varying of course ) whereas with the dumbells if your flexibility isnt as great you can slightly alter things and also help strengthen the stabilizer muscles a bit more as well. I do both BB and DB so im not saying one is better, but personally using your program Markos i have found it a bit easier on my rotators using DB`s to press 3 times a week than the BB, thats purely personal preference though.

Your right mate, maybe i used the wrong choice of words saying better "range of motion" what i meant ( not sure on the right word to describe it in a term ) is that using dumbells i find you dont get stuck in the same groove throughout the range of motion, it tends to be easier on the rotator cuffsi find, with the barbell you are locked in and your shoulders, elbows and wrists all follow through on the same path for nearly every person ( grip varying of course ) whereas with the dumbells if your flexibility isnt as great you can slightly alter things and also help strengthen the stabilizer muscles a bit more as well. I do both BB and DB so im not saying one is better, but personally using your program Markos i have found it a bit easier on my rotators using DB`s to press 3 times a week than the BB, thats purely personal preference though.

I can get better ROM with a dumbbell, but generally I think its a good idea for beginners to stay away from them. A few reasons:

- In practical terms your average gym is only going to have dumbbells up to 50kg and increments of 5kg. This is going to present a big problem in the future for things like rows and presses, let alone squats and deadlifts like I've occasionally seen on here...
- If you do the beginner program with nothing but a barbell you need not let go of the barbell. Finish your squats, go and do your rows with a dumbbell and come back you'll likely have to wait 15 minutes for the bro curlers to finish with the barbell again.
- A lot of people get fed up with commercial gyms and end up lifting at home. Compared to the price of a fixed dumbbell set (most adjustables I've seen are shit) a rack, bench and barbell set are cheap as chips.

Sticking with a barbell is a good habit to get into imo.

I can get better ROM with a dumbbell, but generally I think its a good idea for beginners to stay away from them. A few reasons:

- In practical terms your average gym is only going to have dumbbells up to 50kg and increments of 5kg. This is going to present a big problem in the future for things like rows and presses, let alone squats and deadlifts like I've occasionally seen on here...
- If you do the beginner program with nothing but a barbell you need not let go of the barbell. Finish your squats, go and do your rows with a dumbbell and come back you'll likely have to wait 15 minutes for the bro curlers to finish with the barbell again.
- A lot of people get fed up with commercial gyms and end up lifting at home. Compared to the price of a fixed dumbbell set (most adjustables I've seen are shit) a rack, bench and barbell set are cheap as chips.

Sticking with a barbell is a good habit to get into imo.