• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I got a question. Is this supposed to be so bloody tiring? Takes me 1.5 hrs to do which is a little longer than I'm used to. I'm finding it hard to grip the bar at the end for deadlifts. My back can take it but my hands don't wanna hold on. How much rest should I be taking in between sets?

on a side note: i have never done this much leg work before - are my pants supposed to be getting tight? I gotta go buy some new work ones before I suffocate in them...

I got a question. Is this supposed to be so bloody tiring? Takes me 1.5 hrs to do which is a little longer than I'm used to. I'm finding it hard to grip the bar at the end for deadlifts. My back can take it but my hands don't wanna hold on. How much rest should I be taking in between sets?

on a side note: i have never done this much leg work before - are my pants supposed to be getting tight? I gotta go buy some new work ones before I suffocate in them...

Thats why it works so well because it gives your body such a massive workout.

Thats why it works so well because it gives your body such a massive workout.

Yes to all. You can vary rest periods to whatever you want you just need to keep it consistent and expect less performance than a 3 minute rest. I do believe Markos (the programs creator) doesn't like resting over 60 seconds himself, if I remember him correctly.

Yes to all. You can vary rest periods to whatever you want you just need to keep it consistent and expect less performance than a 3 minute rest. I do believe Markos (the programs creator) doesn't like resting over 60 seconds himself, if I remember him correctly.

The program is especially challenging at first, I made a decision to try reduce the time spent from around 80-90min (inc warmups) down to around 60min, you can do so by dropping the weight down one or two steps and decreasing your rest time, then just maintain that as you increase the weight again.

I have now settled on 2min rest between sets for squats, bench, press and SLDLs and 1min rest for rows and curls, I either use a timer or take a glance at the clock in order to stick with it.

A side benefit is my conditioning has improved and the 10 rep squats are not as challenging in the last few reps anymore.

The program is especially challenging at first, I made a decision to try reduce the time spent from around 80-90min (inc warmups) down to around 60min, you can do so by dropping the weight down one or two steps and decreasing your rest time, then just maintain that as you increase the weight again.

I have now settled on 2min rest between sets for squats, bench, press and SLDLs and 1min rest for rows and curls, I either use a timer or take a glance at the clock in order to stick with it.

A side benefit is my conditioning has improved and the 10 rep squats are not as challenging in the last few reps anymore.

Ok Thanks guys. I've been doing it for a few weeks now. Maybe a few more and I'll get used to it. I hate shopping for clothes...

Ok Thanks guys. I've been doing it for a few weeks now. Maybe a few more and I'll get used to it. I hate shopping for clothes...

How quickly should I be adding weight? I figure the first few weeks is just conditioning of some unused muscles so I've jumped 30kgs but I'm starting to plateau now?
5 kg a fortnight? or per week?

How quickly should I be adding weight? I figure the first few weeks is just conditioning of some unused muscles so I've jumped 30kgs but I'm starting to plateau now?

This is just my experience with this...
I started this program squatting 35kgs and deadlifting 50kgs... lol!!
I am now past all the beginner (100/140/180) lifts, i stayed linear the whole way, I added roughly 5-10kgs per workout for Squat/Deads, about 2.5-5kg per week for bench, and I think this is the way to go...

but there are guys here with much more experience than me, they will have the definite answer!

This is just my experience with this...
I started this program squatting 35kgs and deadlifting 50kgs... lol!!
I am now past all the beginner (100/140/180) lifts, i stayed linear the whole way, I added roughly 5-10kgs per workout for Squat/Deads, about 2.5-5kg per week for bench, and I think this is the way to go...

but there are guys here with much more experience than me, they will have the definite answer!

Start with 5kg a session for squats/deads and 2.5kg for bench/other lifts

When each starts to stall make the jump every second session, then 3rd etc.

When that starts to fail back off then work back up over 3-4 weeks
eg Miss 105kg on squats
week 1 = 85kg
week 2 = 95kg
week 3 = 105kg (hopefully you get it)
week 4 = 90
week 5 = 100
week 6 = 110 = 5kgPB for 3x10

on the 2nd and 3rd days of the week you can probably get away with using a % (say 80) of the first days weight

Start with 5kg a session for squats/deads and 2.5kg for bench/other lifts

When each starts to stall make the jump every second session, then 3rd etc.

When that starts to fail back off then work back up over 3-4 weeks
eg Miss 105kg on squats
week 1 = 85kg
week 2 = 95kg
week 3 = 105kg (hopefully you get it)
week 4 = 90
week 5 = 100
week 6 = 110 = 5kgPB for 3x10

on the 2nd and 3rd days of the week you can probably get away with using a % (say 80) of the first days weight

Hi everyone,

I'm coming off a long absence due to injury (back & shoulders) and was recommended to start with this program.

I have a couple of noob questions and I apologize in advance if it has been covered but I did skim the thread but unable to find the answers I was seeking.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

- I have seen it mentioned a number of times about "deep breath squats" and wondering what exactly it is and does it apply to this program?

- Do I do the exercises in the order above, what is the desired rest period between sets and should I be concentrating on correct form first before I begin to add additional weight?

- Is it better to work out in the morning or night (my goal is to increase strength & gain fitness)

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Hi everyone,

I'm coming off a long absence due to injury (back & shoulders) and was recommended to start with this program.

I have a couple of noob questions and I apologize in advance if it has been covered but I did skim the thread but unable to find the answers I was seeking.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

- I have seen it mentioned a number of times about "deep breath squats" and wondering what exactly it is and does it apply to this program?

- Do I do the exercises in the order above, what is the desired rest period between sets and should I be concentrating on correct form first before I begin to add additional weight?

- Is it better to work out in the morning or night (my goal is to increase strength & gain fitness)

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

1. it means that between each rep on squats you take a couple of big deep breaths, essentially turning a set into 10 singles rather than a set of 10 without re-racking the bar. long term it means you will be able to lift more weight for a set of 10 than if you tried doing all 10 reps in 10 seconds

2. do them in the order above, rest is just however much you need/want, add 2.5kg every time you make all 3 sets

3. doesn't matter do whatever is most convenient

1. it means that between each rep on squats you take a couple of big deep breaths, essentially turning a set into 10 singles rather than a set of 10 without re-racking the bar. long term it means you will be able to lift more weight for a set of 10 than if you tried doing all 10 reps in 10 seconds

2. do them in the order above, rest is just however much you need/want, add 2.5kg every time you make all 3 sets

3. doesn't matter do whatever is most convenient