• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Strength work during preseason and football, will there still be gains with the amount of card we do?

What diet changes should be made?

Strength work during preseason and football, will there still be gains with the amount of card we do?

Yes you will need cardo. Try do hiit such as sprints, hill sprints ect. maybe once a week then when season is about 2 months away do it twice a week.

For the diet part, have a post workout drink or food. Then have a large dinner.

Yes you will need cardo. Try do hiit such as sprints, hill sprints ect. maybe once a week then when season is about 2 months away do it twice a week.

For the diet part, have a post workout drink or food. Then have a large dinner.

Check my footballers thread, they lift 6 days a week, footy training 6 hours a week, all the boys put on 1-2kg in 3 weeks

Check my footballers thread, they lift 6 days a week, footy training 6 hours a week, all the boys put on 1-2kg in 3 weeks

Ive noticed with my benching the top half of the lift sucks. Cause my triceps are weak. Should i do dips at the end of my workout or alternate curls with dips every workout?

Ive noticed with my benching the top half of the lift sucks. Cause my triceps are weak. Should i do dips at the end of my workout or alternate curls with dips every workout?

I just did this, well I should say attempted this program and it killed me.

I got about half through before having to stop, I was breathing so heavily I couldn't drink my water, my lifts were pitifully weak towards the end, I started feeling light headed and I started feeling sicker and sicker to the point I had to sit down and concentrate on not throwing up.

I waited a fair amount of time between sets, maybe 1-3min depending on the lift. Each lift I failed on my second last or last rep on the third set.

My question is did I do something wrong, or as an amateur is it expected to not complete the entire routine your first time around? Am I just weak and need to it suck up? Be honest.

Should I finished off what I didn't do today tomorrow? I still need to do the military press, deadlifts and bicep curls.

Also, can I throw pull ups in there? One of my goals has always been to be able to do 15 BW pulls up in a single set and I'm about halfway there. Will this routine strengthen my lats significantly on its own?

Thanks for any advice, and thanks PTC for the workout. I live in Mt Eliza so I may swing by in the near future.

For the record I'm 182cm and around 64kg.

Last edited:

I got about half through before having to stop, I was breathing so heavily I couldn't drink my water, my lifts were pitifully weak towards the end, I started feeling light headed and I started feeling sicker and sicker to the point I had to sit down and concentrate on not throwing up.

I waited a fair amount of time between sets, maybe 1-3min depending on the lift. Each lift I failed on my second last or last rep on the third set.

My question is did I do something wrong, or as an amateur is it expected to not complete the entire routine your first time around? Am I just weak and need to it suck up? Be honest.

Should I finished off what I didn't do today tomorrow? I still need to do the military press, deadlifts and bicep curls.

Also, can I throw pull ups in there? One of my goals has always been to be able to do 15 BW pulls up in a single set and I'm about halfway there. Will this routine strengthen my lats significantly on its own?

Thanks for any advice, and thanks PTC for the workout. I live in Mt Eliza so I may swing by in the near future.

For the record I'm 182cm and around 64kg.

It sounds like you have atrociously poor cardiovascular fitness. And/or you started with the weights too high.

Strip all the plates off the bar and start with just the 20kg bar. Doesn't matter if you start too low, so long as you progressively add weight to it. It does matter if you start too high.

Also, can I throw pull ups in there?
You weren't able to complete the workout as written, but you want to add stuff? What, so you can take three days to complete it instead of two?

Pick a routine, stick to it, add weight when you can. Consistent effort over time gets results, endless questions and adding or changing exercises gets you exactly what most people in gyms get, nothing.

It sounds like you have atrociously poor cardiovascular fitness. And/or you started with the weights too high.

Strip all the plates off the bar and start with just the 20kg bar. Doesn't matter if you start too low, so long as you progressively add weight to it. It does matter if you start too high.

Also, can I throw pull ups in there?
You weren't able to complete the workout as written, but you want to add stuff? What, so you can take three days to complete it instead of two?

Pick a routine, stick to it, add weight when you can. Consistent effort over time gets results, endless questions and adding or changing exercises gets you exactly what most people in gyms get, nothing.

The cardio fitness sounds about right. Being so skinny I've always focused on lifting. I'm assuming these squats (or even working up to set of 20 breathing squats) will be enough to get my fitness up, or should I go for a run occasionally too? Actually. I will go for a run, this workout was a real eye opener.

I started off light too. I went for a 5min job to get my heart rate up, then start my bench and squat workouts with just the bar, then worked my way up 5kg at a time till I reached my 3 working sets.

Thanks for the advice.

The cardio fitness sounds about right. Being so skinny I've always focused on lifting. I'm assuming these squats (or even working up to set of 20 breathing squats) will be enough to get my fitness up, or should I go for a run occasionally too? Actually. I will go for a run, this workout was a real eye opener.

I started off light too. I went for a 5min job to get my heart rate up, then start my bench and squat workouts with just the bar, then worked my way up 5kg at a time till I reached my 3 working sets.

Thanks for the advice.

This workout may involve recruitment of more muscles more times than your previous workout. Perhaps your "working" sets will need to be lower in weight than you had previously. Do what Kyle said.

PTC seems to get good results with some of his guys when they lift heavy about 3 times a week and they do other difficult stuff (kettlebell complexes, sprints, sandbag and keg lifting etc) to focus on strength endurance on another 2-3 days a week.

I'll also suggest you try Hight Intensity Intervals with your running instead of just going for a jog.

This workout may involve recruitment of more muscles more times than your previous workout. Perhaps your "working" sets will need to be lower in weight than you had previously. Do what Kyle said.

PTC seems to get good results with some of his guys when they lift heavy about 3 times a week and they do other difficult stuff (kettlebell complexes, sprints, sandbag and keg lifting etc) to focus on strength endurance on another 2-3 days a week.

I'll also suggest you try Hight Intensity Intervals with your running instead of just going for a jog.

why would you recommend HIIT to a 6' tall 64kg guy who "nearly" made it through a beginners program?

It was his first go.
all he has to do is do "better" at the next time he goes at it.
what he also needs to do is eat..

Kez - just keep at it.
try to go ONE better next time.

what weight did you end up using for your work set?

why would you recommend HIIT to a 6' tall 64kg guy who "nearly" made it through a beginners program?

It was his first go.
all he has to do is do "better" at the next time he goes at it.
what he also needs to do is eat..

Kez - just keep at it.
try to go ONE better next time.

what weight did you end up using for your work set?