• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I made progress on PTC beginners program for quite a while as I was cutting a little bit, mostly maintenance though. IMO if you are at a beginner level it's more of a mental thing.

I made progress on PTC beginners program for quite a while as I was cutting a little bit, mostly maintenance though. IMO if you are at a beginner level it's more of a mental thing.

I have a question about squats. I am doing squats with dumb bells at the moment, and I imagine at some stage its gonna get hard with the dumbells getting really heavy to grip with my hands. There is no squat rack in my gym and I'm waiting 3 months before my membership runs out so that I can find a gym that does have one...

Is there any harm in me moving onto the smith machine for squats? I heard its bad for the back, but between using that or sticking with dum bells, I am not sure what to do?

I have a question about squats. I am doing squats with dumb bells at the moment, and I imagine at some stage its gonna get hard with the dumbells getting really heavy to grip with my hands. There is no squat rack in my gym and I'm waiting 3 months before my membership runs out so that I can find a gym that does have one...

Is there any harm in me moving onto the smith machine for squats? I heard its bad for the back, but between using that or sticking with dum bells, I am not sure what to do?

bulgarian splt squats.. google them.

bulgarian splt squats.. google them.

Clean and press a barbell over your shoulders, the weight may be light but you can do sets of 20 with minimal break, then GTFO of that place. :(

Clean and press a barbell over your shoulders, the weight may be light but you can do sets of 20 with minimal break, then GTFO of that place. :(

This program looks fantastic and I am training with something very similar (2-3x a week full body workouts) and getting great results, training from a body building perspective, not a power lifting one.

The only issue is I have 3 bad lower discs in my back, they aren't that bad that I can't do day to day things, but they are bad enough that even body weight squats and deadlifts cause quite bad pain and I do get pain from various exercises if I am not careful.

I am currently doing some recovery exercises but I believe it will simply be time before it heals.

The question I have is what is the next best thing if I can't squat or deadlift.

I do heavy DB lunges as they keep a neutral spine and really hit my legs hard, leg press is ok at moderate weights, anything decent and lower back hurts.

Are there any other exercises I could be doing?

This program looks fantastic and I am training with something very similar (2-3x a week full body workouts) and getting great results, training from a body building perspective, not a power lifting one.

The only issue is I have 3 bad lower discs in my back, they aren't that bad that I can't do day to day things, but they are bad enough that even body weight squats and deadlifts cause quite bad pain and I do get pain from various exercises if I am not careful.

I am currently doing some recovery exercises but I believe it will simply be time before it heals.

The question I have is what is the next best thing if I can't squat or deadlift.

I do heavy DB lunges as they keep a neutral spine and really hit my legs hard, leg press is ok at moderate weights, anything decent and lower back hurts.

Try front squats and trap bar deadlifts might help. Leg press well if you do it back sure you don't round your lower back to get 'deep enough'/lower it enough. That's about it as far as I know, just rest it up and get it healed and then worry about leg training.

Try front squats and trap bar deadlifts might help. Leg press well if you do it back sure you don't round your lower back to get 'deep enough'/lower it enough. That's about it as far as I know, just rest it up and get it healed and then worry about leg training.

Bulgarian Split Squats are your best alternative. The options provided by Dan are not good for back problems.

Bulgarian Split Squats are your best alternative. The options provided by Dan are not good for back problems.

dandexter said:

I have 3 herniated discs, squats are 100% out of the picture. Front, back whatever will all put a bending moment on my lower back, there is no way I could do these with any sort of intensity.

Hex bar deadlifts would be better, but once again put too much force on my lower back. This injury isn't something that is magically going to get better soon, it could be at least a year before I can squat again and I want to continue building my legs in this time.

The reason I am liking lunges is because you do not bend forward at all.. ever. The way you hold the dumbells makes it pretty much impossible to lean over, they balance each other out.

I can go up to 45kg DBs for 8 reps per leg without any lower back discomfort what so ever. Even body weight squats cause my lower back to hurt.

I find I can do leg press as well, as long as I don't go too low and make a concious effort to arch my lower back.

These look lke a lunge just with your leg on a chair, looks more stable and like it could be more effective.

I will certainly try these with heavy DBs next workout.

Thanks.

dandexter said:

I have 3 herniated discs, squats are 100% out of the picture. Front, back whatever will all put a bending moment on my lower back, there is no way I could do these with any sort of intensity.

Hex bar deadlifts would be better, but once again put too much force on my lower back. This injury isn't something that is magically going to get better soon, it could be at least a year before I can squat again and I want to continue building my legs in this time.

The reason I am liking lunges is because you do not bend forward at all.. ever. The way you hold the dumbells makes it pretty much impossible to lean over, they balance each other out.

I can go up to 45kg DBs for 8 reps per leg without any lower back discomfort what so ever. Even body weight squats cause my lower back to hurt.

I find I can do leg press as well, as long as I don't go too low and make a concious effort to arch my lower back.

These look lke a lunge just with your leg on a chair, looks more stable and like it could be more effective.

I will certainly try these with heavy DBs next workout.

Thanks.