• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench press

Genics, in that case pick the weight you would usually use to do sets of 5, then only do 3 reps. If you would normally do 3 sets of 5, then you should probably able to do 5-6 sets of 3. You end up doing the same amount of work, but it will be better quality as you will find it much easier to maintain proper form.

3x10, practice,but remember; Practice makes perfect; as long as you practice perfectly. Practicing mistakes makes for perfect mistakes.

Umm... mine are probably about 25-30kgs different. That's a very different exercise IMO.

So what. You are stronger at one grip.

So for every exercise every half cm grip difference is a non substitutable different exercise.

Saying you can't sub one for the other is ridiculous. Powerlifters, use what's stronger obviously but for the rest of us the difference in training effect won't be noticeable.

The squat, the dead-lift, the trap-bar, the leg-press are different exercises.

the grip width on on the bench press are variations of an exercise, that one uses to reduce the stroke of the movement.

the other person uses a grip width that increases the stroke of the movement.

this is the powerlifting section apparently, although you'd never fucking know half the time.

The bigger issue is that people actually give a fuck
Genics, I think pyramids would be good for you. Something like 5x50%, 4x60%, 2x3x70%, 2x2x80%, 4x2x85%, 2x2x80%, 4x75%, 6x70%, 8x60%, 10x50%

I love that workout, did it reverse grip with the bad shoulder and set a personal best bench press the first time I tried the exercise again post-injury. And that's something, considering my bench never really moves at all lol

So what. You are stronger at one grip.

So for every exercise every half cm grip difference is a non substitutable different exercise.

Saying you can't sub one for the other is ridiculous. Powerlifters, use what's stronger obviously but for the rest of us the difference in training effect won't be noticeable.

They use the same position - i.e laying on a bench pressing a barbell - doesn't make them the same - does that mean a seated barbell press is the same as a bench press but just seated? Does it mean that an incline db press is the same as a flat db press?

You stated you did a close grip bench instead of a normal bench press - did you mean to say you simply bring your hands in slightly abit more? if so ok.

But a close grip is a different exercise to a bench press.

Last edited:
They use the same position - i.e laying on a bench pressing a barbell - doesn't make them the same - does that mean a seated barbell press is the same as a bench press but just seated? Does it mean that an incline db press is the same as a flat db press?

You stated you did a close grip bench instead of a normal bench press - did you mean to say you simply bring your hands in slightly abit more? if so ok.

But a close grip is a different exercise to a bench press.

Get real mate.

So every cm my grip is different on the bench is a different exercise. Lol. Give me a break.

Why bring up incline. Lol. Trying to change the argument.

Get real mate.

So every cm my grip is different on the bench is a different exercise. Lol. Give me a break.

Why bring up incline. Lol. Trying to change the argument.

Huh? When did I say that every cm was a different exercise? I said Bench Press (traditional or powerlifting) is different to a close grip bench.

Would you then consider for example a Powerlifting Bench press the same movement as a traditional bench press?

Huh? When did I say that every cm was a different exercise? I said Bench Press (traditional or powerlifting) is different to a close grip bench.

Would you then consider for example a Powerlifting Bench press the same movement as a traditional bench press?

See, you don't even know what you are talking about.

So everyones "traditional" setup is exactly the same? Some people bench wider, some close. Its still the same exercise.

See, you don't even know what you are talking about.

So everyones "traditional" setup is exactly the same? Some people bench wider, some close. Its still the same exercise.

Huh...again?

Yes of course - this is not what we are talking about - of course there will be small changes to a bench be it a "traditional" i.e everyday/gym goer or Powerlifting bench - we are talking about that and a close grip though.

Simple question - would you consider a powerlifting bench and "traditional" bench the same movement?

Sumo and conventional deadlifts are different. Close and normal grip bench are different. They generally have biomechanical differences to have different training effects and can be used for different purposes. Sure some people bench with a very close grip and possibly this grip might be identical to what others might call close grip bench but they're still different exercises and are often programmed as such.

A powerlifting bench is a very different exercise to a "normal" bench. A close grip bench is hardly a bench at all if the hands are less than a foot apart - minimal pec and upper back involvement.