• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench press

Huh...again?

Yes of course - this is not what we are talking about - of course there will be small changes to a bench be it a "traditional" i.e everyday/gym goer or Powerlifting bench - we are talking about that and a close grip though.

Simple question - would you consider a powerlifting bench and "traditional" bench the same movement?

No worries. I'll make sure I bring my ruler to the gym. Wouldn't want my grip to be off by a mm and then unknowingly change to an exercise that I can't substitute. Lol.

What's the exact definition of a close grip bench. What's the exact definition of a normal bench.

What if you are stronger with a closer grip. Do they not allow that in powerlifting. lol. You can bench with a close grip in powerlifting. Looks like they consider it the same lift.

No worries. I'll make sure I bring my ruler to the gym. Wouldn't want my grip to be off by a mm and then unknowingly change to an exercise that I can't substitute. Lol.

What's the exact definition of a close grip bench. What's the exact definition of a normal bench.

What if you are stronger with a closer grip. Do they not allow that in powerlifting. lol. You can bench with a close grip in powerlifting. Looks like they consider it the same lift.

Again huh?

Yes they are similar movements (of course) - but they are designed to hit/focus on different muslce groups - right?

Close grip 6-10 inch hand width - "normal" bench - on the out rings or within 1-2 inches normally.

I understand what you are saying but they are designed to hit different muscles - of course they are variations of eachother but they are different.

At the end of the day how much do you bench?

I think the idea that different hand spacing is "designed to hit different muscles" is flawed thinking.

an extreme grip width whether it narrow or wide will add trouble to the wrist and not much else.

here it's all about basic levers.

A close grip bench (hands 12 inches apart or less) would be pointless in PL competition and would be a severe detriment to lifting the maximum possible weight. It would be virtually impossible to get a decent arch so the ROM would be greater and only limited engagement of the the upper back muscles.

I can't think of a single person that close grips in competition
Close(r) grips yes, but not 12" or less. Even Paul Carter. I remember posting a video of me benching with a similar grip width to Paul and Bazza going off on a rant on how it wasn't a close grip lol. Guess he changes his argument when it suits him.

Is there any rehab sholder excersises i could be doing? Ones that will strengthen the core of my sholder as apposdd to "canon ball delts"

Common theme here RE money priorities
Comprehensive insurance costs me $70 a month lol.

You could have afforded that if you were not on steroids or taking a sensible dose.

wow.. 8 pages.. go team.

Genics - I agree with old man silver.. you need to see a physio..

but if you want to know what they will say and suggest 99% of the time it will be..

"stop pressing movements or reduce to basically just the bar"
"do these rotator cuff movements with a band in all directions"
"Come back in 3 days"

you can google rotator cuff band exercises to see what I mean.

I would also suggest doing "cuban press"
start with a broom stick.
It's not en exercise that you want to be lifting heavy weights with.. more a movement pattern that you are trying to learn and get control of.

Max I used was an empty barbell after many many weeks