• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
I have a problem at the moment where I am extremely time poor due to work and personal commitments, this time poor aspect will hopefully end early next year some time.

I have not been training for a few weeks now and feel worse for it, so was thinking today that may be I should just hit up the "big 4" AKA Squat/Bench/Dead Lift/Military Press once a week, hit them hard and fast 10-15 minutes and I am done, total training time for the week about 1-1.5hrs.

I know it's not ideal but should be better than no training at all.

I got the idea from 5/3/1, I wont be using the 5/3/1 template though, I would probably be looking at doing 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps and then a few lower rep heavy sets and call it a day.

The days when I do have an extra bit of time I might throw in some bro curls or whatever. I will still be going for a walk or mountain bike ride with the dogs (must do this for their sake) a few times a week and would also throw in some push ups and ab work when I feel like it.

QUOTE:

Assistance Work #3: I’m Not Doing Jack Shit
This is my favorite. I don’t recommend it, but it’s useful for non-beginners who have limited timeto train. The I’m Not Doing Jack Shit program entails walking into the weight room, doing the biglift for the day (bench, squat, military or deadlift), and then walking out. I’ve done this plenty oftimes, especially when I’ve trained in commercial gyms.
There are some advantages to this. You’ll be supremely focused on one thing: getting your setsdone and breaking a PR. You won’t be worried about your assistance work, whether a machineis going to be available, or how much good mornings suck. I’ve made this deal with myself manytimes before I’ve trained: If I do X weight for X amount of reps, I’m leaving.
I do this fairly often, and I’m sure it seems odd. I recently went to a commercial gym, warmedup, did my working sets and set a huge PR. I sat there for a little while, then decided to leave.As I was walking out, I looked around at the other people training, and I wondered whetheranyone else had set a personal record that day. For my part, I know I walked out of there betterthan I did when I walked in.

No looking to make any massive progress, but just keeping up some training whilst being time poor, hopefully by then my new home gym will be build and I will be ready to hit up some serious lifting.

Not sure what replies I am expecting but please add any sensible suggestions or ideas.

I still need to sleep 7-8 hrs, been running myself short on sleep and paid for it by getting crook the last few days, only just getting better now.

Generally get home from work and go straight to bed, keep in mind I get home from work between 10pm and 3am most work days. I also work a minimum of 10hr days, that's 10hrs at work, then there is travel, getting ready for work, shower, etc when you get home.

Plus family and kids to look after, distance education for my daughter (no high schools here) add 8 hrs sleep, time to eat and shower plus other commitments leaves no spare time.

Last edited:
If I read correctky, you want to do just one exercise each workout, Why not do all four each session, for one working set each.
I reckon it would be far more productive

Give it a try, if you are progressing and not feeling sore it's working for you.

the other alternative is one lif a day

for myself a 25 to 30 minute full body workout every two days does the trick

for myself a 25 to 30 minute full body workout every two days does the trick

I could make the time for this.

Would love to see your basic routine, not sure how you can fit full body into 25-30 minutes.

I could make the time for this.

Would love to see your basic routine, not sure how you can fit full body into 25-30 minutes.

Squat – 1×15-20 reps
Seated Shoulder Press – 1×8-12 reps
Pullups/Chins – 1×8-12 reps
Bench Press- 1×8-12 reps
One Arm Rows – 1×8-15 reps
Dips – 1×8-12 reps
Barbell Curls – 1×8-12 reps
Deadlift – 1×8-15 reps

At first you may think you want to do an extra set or sets of each, the trick is to work to fatigue and move quickly between exercises.

the trick is to progress each exercise and to slowly increase your intensity of work, I think to start you need to find weight that will comfortably get you to the target rep's, and biuld over time.

two days is a good amount of time to recover, but initially you could do this every day up until your work gets harder or your progress slows.

So, minimum is 8 reps, keep the adage of weight until you reach 12, the add 5 kg, go back down to 8, up to 12, then add 5kg and repeat.

you need to keep records to track your progress.

for example;

...................10/9...12/9...15/9... 18/9.......
bench press. 90x8. 90x9. 90x10. 90x11. 90x12. 95x8. And so-on

I still need to sleep 7-8 hrs, been running myself short on sleep and paid for it by getting crook the last few days, only just getting better now.

Generally get home from work and go straight to bed, keep in mind I get home from work between 10pm and 3am most work days. I also work a minimum of 10hr days, that's 10hrs at work, then there is travel, getting ready for work, shower, etc when you get home.

Plus family and kids to look after, distance education for my daughter (no high schools here) add 8 hrs sleep, time to eat and shower plus other commitments leaves no spare time.

10 hours work
8 hours sleep

Even if you had an hour or two travel that leaves plenty of time. Better time management is probably the answer.

Extremely Limited Training Time
Hey Big Man, I hope you and your family are well.

This is the time to bring out that training methodology I call The Power of Less. It's a time to take advantage of what I also call SR, that stands for Summit Reps. Basically, once you've reached the mountain top (the summit), you want to stay there for an extended period of time in order to fully take in and be elated by the incredible view you're able to see from such a magnificent height.

I won't bore you with intricate details here, suffice to say the following: look at what you've been doing before, and begin the SR by doing less for more. I'll give you an example to illustrate my point.

Say you've been doing biceps curls for 5 sets of 10 reps, resting 60 to 120 seconds between sets. If I was to break those reps down into effective and activation reps, I would end up with about 30% effective and 70% activation. Your aim now (performing the SR method) would be to curtail / minimise on the activation and throw all your focus onto the effective reps instead. After all, once you're standing on the Summit, you would not want to climb back down the mountain, only to climb back up again. Once there, stay there.

So this: 5x10, becomes this: 10, 4, 3, 3, 2. With a rest of 15 seconds (instead of 60 to 120 seconds) between sets, you've not only saved yourself a tremendous amount of time, but you've also kept the essence of each and every set, whilst discarding the rest (those activation reps leading you to your effective SR).

So now grab yourself a piece of paper and begin to write down all that you were doing, and the time it took you to complete those exercises. For the SR, I'd only pick one exercise per body part and do that before moving on to the next exercise. I'll leave it here for now and welcome any question/s you may have for me. All the best Mick.

10 hours work
8 hours sleep

Even if you had an hour or two travel that leaves plenty of time. Better time management is probably the answer.

Haha if life were that simple.

I still have to prepare meals, eat, look after 2 dogs, a horse, two kids, daughters distance education schooling, clean, mow lawns, maintain a household, go shopping, after school sports, homework with kids, fuck the missus, build fences, finish building my car to get registered so that I have a car to drive once I move from here in a few months and lose my company car, get new new house ready and landscaped before we move in, get my home gym build, and thats just off the top of my head....

Squat – 1×15-20 reps
Seated Shoulder Press – 1×8-12 reps
Pullups/Chins – 1×8-12 reps
Bench Press- 1×8-12 reps
One Arm Rows – 1×8-15 reps
Dips – 1×8-12 reps
Barbell Curls – 1×8-12 reps
Deadlift – 1×8-15 reps

At first you may think you want to do an extra set or sets of each, the trick is to work to fatigue and move quickly between exercises.

the trick is to progress each exercise and to slowly increase your intensity of work, I think to start you need to find weight that will comfortably get you to the target rep's, and biuld over time.

two days is a good amount of time to recover, but initially you could do this every day up until your work gets harder or your progress slows.

I really like this, and I will definitely be giving this or something very similar a run soon.

Started with just one exercise yesterday:

I did five sets of BB Squats, 20, 20, 12, 10, and 6 reps with escalating weights, legs are fried.

Did similar with BB Bench Press today, I might hit up Dead Lifts and DB Curls tomorrow and do some ab work as I will have more time starting work at 3pm.

Now going out for a 30 minute bike ride with the dogs while my Devil Wings are cooking in the Weber Kettle, cooked with real Charcoal and Hickory wood chips soaked in water overnight for maximum smoke.:cool:

Haha if life were that simple.

I still have to prepare meals, eat, look after 2 dogs, a horse, two kids, daughters distance education schooling, clean, mow lawns, maintain a household, go shopping, after school sports, homework with kids, fuck the missus, build fences, finish building my car to get registered so that I have a car to drive once I move from here in a few months and lose my company car, get new new house ready and landscaped before we move in, get my home gym build, and thats just off the top of my head....
I think you need to sack the wife

Now going out for a 30 minute bike ride with the dogs while my Devil Wings are cooking in the Weber Kettle, cooked with real Charcoal and Hickory wood chips soaked in water overnight for maximum smoke.:cool:

I hate it when they use fake charcoal