• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned

Personally, I think food isn't the reason. I think the reason is as simple as I was training the lifts with a higher frequency and a higher volume, with a higher percentage of them being first lifts.

I've been talking to Glenn Pendlay about a reasonable plan as he trains a lot of his athletes to daily maxes on squats and presses and I've come up with a decent progression in frequency and volume, as well as what exercises will be best for my overall goals

Personally, I think food isn't the reason. I think the reason is as simple as I was training the lifts with a higher frequency and a higher volume, with a higher percentage of them being first lifts.
Food isn't the reason you are still 65kg? Frequency/volume or any other rubbish you can scheme up having nothing to do with that fact you are 65kg, you are 65kg because you haven't eaten enough since you joined in July, plain and simple.

Just eat more, whats so hard to understand?

I've been talking to Glenn Pendlay about a reasonable plan as he trains a lot of his athletes to daily maxes on squats and presses
You are not an athlete, none of what Glenn Pendlay does with his actual athletes applies to you, you should just go back onto the beginner program and do some hard work for a change, stick to it for 6-12 months, rather than focusing on form, doing all these bullshit smolov sheiko rubbish or doing speed deads and all this shit like you constantly do

Last edited:
Food isn't the reason you are still 65kg? Frequency/volume or any other rubbish you can scheme up having nothing to do with that fact you are 65kg, you are 65kg because you haven't eaten enough since you joined in July, plain and simple.

Just eat more, whats so hard to understand?

You are not an athlete, none of what Glenn Pendlay does with his actual athletes applies to you, you should just go back onto the beginner program and do some hard work for a change, stick to it for 6-12 months, rather than focusing on form, doing all these bullshit smolov sheiko rubbish or doing speed deads and all this shit like you constantly do

I was talking about strength, not mass. I'm not saying that my training is the reason that I am 65kg (if that was the case, I'd gain weight but it would be fat) I'm saying that I gained more strength on sheiko than any other time because of the higher frequency and volume.

>implying im not an athlete
>implying I haven't competed at a national level in cycling
>implying becoming an 'athlete' suddenly changes the rules of strength training
>implying setting a 1RM daily isn't hard work
>implying since following pendlays advice on training to the letter, my squat hasn't almost doubled
>implying you know better than pendlay
>implying you're not anally anguished

my squat has doubled also. i think a lot of peoples squats would have doubled since when they started..

Well the most I have squatted was 140kg low bar when I did sheiko. After a 2 month break and beating my self up racing I could barely squat 70kg. Did Starting Strength then 5/3/1 and it barely increased my squat at all, I think I hit 82.5kg. Consulted Pendlay and less than 3 months later I'm killing 110kg high bar full depth olympic squats and made a full depth front squat of 92.5kg like it was nothing so I think my progress following Pendlay is good, certainly a lot better than if I had just stuck to 5/3/1 or any of the 'beginner' routines posted here

So I maintain that what most internet "experts" say about what is best is mostly rubbish. The beginner 'strength' routine here has you doing 3x8-10 reps for example...
I'm going to just push the limits of what I can do, ignoring what the internet says I can and can't do and add some kilos to my total again

its not the program.. its how you progress on the program. Im sure you could do well on other programs, you just think you can't and therefore don't progress.

I think you need to do what you think will work for you. No amount of doing something that annoys you or bores you will ever work. If you are happy to train the way you are training now, I say stick to it Oni, and see where it takes you. After all, if you are training the way that makes you work hard and feel strong, something must be working right? If it doesn't work in the long run you can always go back to another type of training. Everyone has different things that work for them, I have been on the 3x8 training for ages now and I have stuffed around with some lower rep work for the last couple of weeks without changing my program, just my reps. I must say it has bought a whole new world of hurt and I feel strong, I think lower reps works for me so I will be changing up my program to a strength based program for 2012. You must lift in the way that motivates you to train, but also understand what it is you want from your training also. I think you got an idea Oni, and its doing something for you, so stick to it for 6 months and see where it takes you mate.
Good luck

Graeme

It must have been an awfully high 140, if after 8 weeks you couldn't squat 70. Something seriously wrong their.

So I maintain that what most internet "experts" say about what is best is mostly rubbish. The beginner 'strength' routine here has you doing 3x8-10 reps for example...
I'm going to just push the limits of what I can do, ignoring what the internet says I can and can't do and add some kilos to my total again

Ok i agree with some of what you have been saying. Overtraining is highly overblown. I have squatted everyday before as well as done max deadlifts 3+ times a week and it worked well especially the deadlifts.

But for a 65kg bloke to say most of the internet experts are rubbish and using a 110kg squat as evidence is a bit much.

its not the program.. its how you progress on the program. Im sure you could do well on other programs, you just think you can't and therefore don't progress.

Yeah I agree that there is a psychological aspect involved

I think you need to do what you think will work for you. No amount of doing something that annoys you or bores you will ever work. If you are happy to train the way you are training now, I say stick to it Oni, and see where it takes you. After all, if you are training the way that makes you work hard and feel strong, something must be working right? If it doesn't work in the long run you can always go back to another type of training. Everyone has different things that work for them, I have been on the 3x8 training for ages now and I have stuffed around with some lower rep work for the last couple of weeks without changing my program, just my reps. I must say it has bought a whole new world of hurt and I feel strong, I think lower reps works for me so I will be changing up my program to a strength based program for 2012. You must lift in the way that motivates you to train, but also understand what it is you want from your training also. I think you got an idea Oni, and its doing something for you, so stick to it for 6 months and see where it takes you mate.
Good luck

Graeme

Thanks man, progress is good now and that's motivating me more than anything, even my bench is progressing lol

Ok i agree with some of what you have been saying. Overtraining is highly overblown. I have squatted everyday before as well as done max deadlifts 3+ times a week and it worked well especially the deadlifts.

But for a 65kg bloke to say most of the internet experts are rubbish and using a 110kg squat as evidence is a bit much.

How did the deadlifts 3x a week go? What is your squat:deadlift ratio and how long did it take to adapt? The reason I ask is that my deadlift is pretty high compared to my squat and when I was doing heavy sets of 5's and 3's it would often make me very tired for the next week, but is this something that I just need to push through and eventually I'll adapt to? I currently do speed pulls once a week just to maintain the groove and am using squats as my main deadlift builder but I think being able to do max pulls several times a week would be awesome

>implying im not an athlete - YOU AREN'T!

>implying I haven't competed at a national level in cycling - This isn't cycling.

>implying becoming an 'athlete' suddenly changes the rules of strength training - Beginners do beginner program's, elite athlete's do advanced program's, you are not slid so you should do a beginner program.

>implying setting a 1RM daily isn't hard work - I was talking about your bullshit weak training up to this point, not your future plans.

>implying since following pendlays advice on training to the letter, my squat hasn't almost doubled - LOL! 45-90kg, Mr Pendlay must be proud.

I give up on you Oni, good luck in 2012.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that can see common sense.

Oni, I don't think what your about to try and do is going to be beneficial.

Do a beginners program, and eat some damn food.

Last edited:
Beginners program failed to increase my lifts whatsoever, I'll stick with what Pendlay is getting me to do, despite what internet "experts" say

Oni, they not "experts", they are EXPERTS, and they are given this title for a reason.

The reason you failed to progress (and still lift as much as one of my 60kg females who has been lifting for less than a year) has nothing to do with a program.

Best of luck.

Oni, they not "experts", they are EXPERTS, and they are given this title for a reason.

The reason you failed to progress (and still lift as much as one of my 60kg females who has been lifting for less than a year) has nothing to do with a program.

Best of luck.

If it had nothing to do with the program then changing programs wouldn't have done anything

Oni all youve been doing is building your lifts back up to where they were previously why dont you just do what you did then (if it was sheiko then bloody do sheiko) then worry about changing routines and piss off doing speed deadlifts to "keep the groove" your a bees dick off a 200kg deadlift at 65kg FFS why stall at 190kg???

If you are that adamant what you have planned will work just do it and prove people wrong with your results or be humbled by the fact you were wrong.

At present you are kind of just insulting some pretty knowledgeable people on here by pissing on convention and labeling them Internet experts.

Just from what I've read fuzzy and moreso Scott have done amazing things with their bodies strength wise. Scotty is crazy strong and not formally trained just mad keen. The results he has gained from his body and now those he trains is astounding. I guess what I'm saying is their is no harm in going down the proven road.

There are people who follow trails and people who are trailblazers, just don't waste your time on a road not worth traveling and if you do be man enough to be humble if that road leads you back to the start.