• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Funny you mention that. I get crippling lower back soreness straight after my set. But after i go and do a couple of other exercises its gone away.

I'm smart, aren't I.

Those erectors, climb up the spine like power lines on a pole.

They work at trying to maintain the curve in the spine, movements like side bends are very good, the trick is using a very heavy weight spending about 120 seconds under tension, which is around ten rep's.

I'm smart, aren't I.

Those erectors, climb up the spine like power lines on a pole.

They work at trying to maintain the curve in the spine, movements like side bends are very good, the trick is using a very heavy weight spending about 120 seconds under tension, which is around ten rep's.

My posture has been shit my whole life. I've always sat on my lower back with my ass off the chair.
I think what needs to happen is more core work as this will hold back in place better. I think as hamstrings get a bit better (2yr hiatus) then that creates less pull on the lower back if Im not mistaken.
But if you have any other suggestions I'm listening :)

Last edited:
Awesome thread! I just joined today and have already got heaps of useful info! Thanks :)

I have a question: I have trained for a little while and done quite a bit of squatting over the last couple of years. I've had a few injuries and essentially have chronic lower back pain. I have seen various people for this who all said similar things about flexibility etc. so I've obviously worked on my flexibility with no resultant improvement in my pain. I recently saw a new physio who was completely different and pointed to restricted range in my shoulders (!) and pointed out how my spine bends as it shouldn't. To eventually get to the point; he told me to only squat as low as I can without my spine rounding at the bottom - I have severe "butt-wink" I think it's called.

Now I've always squatted to below parallel so my question is whether there is any point in doing squats to quite noticeably above parallel. Now that the physio has pointed out the flawed movement it's pretty obvious to me so I won't be squatting to depth until I stop doing the butt-wink - if I can ever get rid of it. So should I squat to the depth I can, which is really nowhere near parallel, or not do squats at all?

Sorry for the lengthy question and thanks for any thoughts!

Plenty of people squat with buttwink. If you can squat to depth without pain then why wouldn't you?

Awesome thread! I just joined today and have already got heaps of useful info! Thanks :)

I have a question: I have trained for a little while and done quite a bit of squatting over the last couple of years. I've had a few injuries and essentially have chronic lower back pain. I have seen various people for this who all said similar things about flexibility etc. so I've obviously worked on my flexibility with no resultant improvement in my pain. I recently saw a new physio who was completely different and pointed to restricted range in my shoulders (!) and pointed out how my spine bends as it shouldn't. To eventually get to the point; he told me to only squat as low as I can without my spine rounding at the bottom - I have severe "butt-wink" I think it's called.

Now I've always squatted to below parallel so my question is whether there is any point in doing squats to quite noticeably above parallel. Now that the physio has pointed out the flawed movement it's pretty obvious to me so I won't be squatting to depth until I stop doing the butt-wink - if I can ever get rid of it. So should I squat to the depth I can, which is really nowhere near parallel, or not do squats at all?

Sorry for the lengthy question and thanks for any thoughts!
If you have severe buttwink you need to look to your hamstrings, hips and/or glutes and releasing tightness and increasing your mobility.
Until you have this sorted you are best to squat to a safe painless depth only as you are only causing more damage to the lower discs.
Google "mobility" on Youtube as not all buttwinks are caused by the same problem.
Your immobility is pulling your spine into a rounded unnatural curve "in the hole" of the squat, very common problem and so easily fixed!
I have always used a foam roller or rumble roller for myofascial release of the lower muscles and various mobility drills to better my squat.

Thank you both!

I do have a rumble roller that I use every day so I am working on curing the butt-wink. The physio I'm seeing is great and I'm confident that my spine and pain will get better - although I'm not so confident that I'll be squatting to depth for a while, if ever. The physio says that I have great hip and hamstring mobility so it's not that - although I haven't tested ankle mobility etc. I will certainly look that up on Youtube. I'm only lifting for my own satisfaction though so I guess it doesn't really matter if I have one exercise that's not for a full range of motion.

I will swallow my embarrassment (which I guess I do a lot in the gym anyway!) and do shallow squats for now - and hope to get back to proper depth in time.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
The "hip tuck" is due to the structure of the hip, and not necessarily flexibility issues.

my thoughts are, if you are unable to squat arse to grass, then you need to supplement with other exercises that work those structures, half squatting (just below the hip line) is not an efficient exercise for the hip, and in time for most will cause problems.

The "hip tuck" is due to the structure of the hip, and not necessarily flexibility issues.

my thoughts are, if you are unable to squat arse to grass, then you need to supplement with other exercises that work those structures, half squatting (just below the hip line) is not an efficient exercise for the hip, and in time for most will cause problems.

Thanks. I've been told (and shown) that my spine doesn't bend as it should and I'm working on correcting that. Flexibility appears to be fine. I am doing other leg exercises - with leg press replacing squat - and I don't seem to be getting the same issues.

I think I will periodically try a squat with very light weight - prob just the bar - to see how low I can get without compromising my spine. As and when I start to be able to get to a sensible depth I will start to add weight on.

Thanks everyone for your help!

This is from a bloke I used to follow when I was dumb and less stupid, about 20 years ago.

[h=2]The Tremendous Benefits Of 20-Rep Squats![/h]
This is a quote from Robert Sparkman, or 'Herk' concerning what 20 rep squats will achieve- to all of you who have doubts about it's effectiveness.

Greetings Everyone!

During the course of my training career, I have found the Squat to be the most productive of all movements for me! I absolutely LOVE to Squat! It is, without a doubt, my favorite of all exercises! Squats, in my opinion, are the most result producing and effective means of adding tremendous amounts of Muscle & Might to your Physique!

Squats, by themselves, can constitute a workout if they are performed properly using impeccable form and worked brutally hard, especially when performed 20-Rep style! With the proviso that your body structure will allow you to perform them! You have got to work up to a poundage of at least 150% (preferably more) of your bodyweight for no less than 20 agonizing, brutally heavy, excrutiatingly uncomfortable, massively demanding, stomach churning, mind numbing, gut wrenching, tear forming, sweat drenching, muscle screaming reps to achieve the kind of worthwhile results that will both amaze and astound you! They can literally transform a wreck of a person, a veritable "Bag of Bones" so to speak, into a human Gorilla! They are that good of a movement! As a matter of fact, the kinds of poundages I am working out with nowadays are the direct result of the solid foundation I built by devoting massive amounts of "Herkulean" effort on 20-Rep Squats!

If you are truly serious about realizing your inherant potential for size and strength gains, then you need to make a Gargantuan effort towards learning how to Squat! Not only properly, but hard and heavy as well!

High Rep Squats are a fantastic total body exercise and serve as a perfect example of just what a basic compound movement, properly performed and worked brutally hard, can accomplish for you:

1) Superb development of the entire leg structure (yes, even the calves get worked during the movement).

2) Tremendous development of the hip muscles.

3) Significant development and conditioning of the lower back muscles.

4) Great expansion of both the rib cage and shoulder girdle increasing the potential for substantial upper body gains.

5) Enormous conditioning effects of the whole cardio-respiratory system plus fantastic gains in bodily endurance.

6) Stimulates and strengthens the internal organs by the movement of the diaphragm due to the deep, heavy breathing.

7) Build a mighty strong and powerful body that exudes self-confidence, vibrant health, superb vitality, and an indestructible power-of-will.

8) Increases your feeling of physical prowess immensely and instills a feeling that you can whip your weight in mountain lions.

Quite a multitude of benefits from just one basic exercise... wouldn't you agree?

It is through the persistent application of effort that real physical training success is attained! Every single one of you has been BLESSED with the potential to vastly improve your physique. Weight training, no matter what your ultimate goals are, helps to better serve your body's needs and further enhances your capacity to enjoy life!

Being able to subject your body to the rigors of regular and consistant 20-Rep Squats is a GIFT we have been given by our creator! Learn to enjoy, cherish, and savor those opportunities! Revel in the tremendous sense of accomplishment in knowing that you are building your Body, Mind, and Spirit by pushing yourselves far beyond what most lifters are capable of or could tolerate even just a little! Dare to take a chance and set yourselves apart from the majority! Release the "Iron Warrior" that is lying dormant within you! When you go into "Battle" every few days or so, attack your 20-Reppers with a vengeance! Implement your plan of action and emerge...VICTORIOUS! You will not be defeated... EVER! You must never, never, never, never, never, never give up! The gym is your battlefield! Your domain, you OWN IT! You are the one In Charge, The Boss, The King/Queen, The Chief Honcho, The Big Cheese, The Top Dog, The Big Kahuna... you get the picture! So right now, this very minute, make up your mind to build a will as strong as your muscles and from this day forward make each and every workout... COUNT!

Twenty Rep Squats have worked for me and they, most certainly, can do the same for YOU! Thank you so very much for letting me share some of my thoughts and beliefs with all of you! It is greatly appreciated!

Take care, God Bless, keep the faith, and have an awesome day everyone! Be SAFE this Memorial Day and please... take a moment to remember all those who sacrificed so much for our freedom! Thank You! Many positive thoughts and prayers are being sent your way for continued success with your lifting and in your lives! Kindest regards all ways!

Strength And Honor,

H onesty
E xcellence
R espect
K indness

In hindsight, we are talking about the "full squat" ATG not the half squat that most do, which in my opinion is trouble waiting to happen.

My advice is that if you can't full squat safely, don't squat, none of this quarter squat like in this vid, or half squatting, leave that for competition day and training.

use the full squat in your workout, but only if you can do it right, start with just the bar.

No way those kunce broke parallel....with their monolift et al. ?

Ah, the good ole days :D PLers v BBers. Gooey trying to make Ausbb great again :p

Did you watch that video [MENTION=9251]Darkoz[/MENTION]; ?

It's like comparing chalk and diamonds
That second olympic squat in the video is probably the most impressive squat I've ever seen.

Hi there . im new in this site and getting way around here. its really hard for me to do squatting but this advice will be helpful for me to gain strength

THIS is all you need to see, full depth, no bouncing, no straps, worked hard.
As an aside this is how you protect your knee.
Bouncing out of the hole, and not going full depth in time will root your knees up eventually

Brutal. Although after rep 6 they were 14 singles. I prefer to see a reduced weight and less rest between reps. Fucks you up even more.