• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
12km @ 6.50/km

Intentionally went slower today preparing for tomorrows big 32km run. This week and next week are the peak of the training cycle then everything starts to taper off.

Being a larger fellow I'm obviously slower but the runs aren't that hard for the majority. A lot of my smaller mates who are runners say they still hit the wall around the 30km mark. I'm trying to find the right balance of food before the run and when to take the gels on the run. Last week I took a gel every 7kms but the last one didn't seem to do much. Despite the advice I get from other runners, being larger would naturally mean I need more than the average person. Tomorrow I'll take one every 6km and see how it goes.

The other drama is it's magpie season, and a few attacks have happened along the route I run.

32km @ 6.56/km

BW: 103.4kg
So I've just hit the peak of the training cycle. Well have to do this same run next week as well but for me this was a huge mental and physical victory. I'm only another 10km's from a marathon.
I adjusted the gels and took them at 6km intervals and felt great and the wall never came and kept it at bay. I took 2 gels within the last 10km's and they got me home. Still was very sore and tired at the end but came home stronger than previous weeks.

The sorest part were my feet as I've got new old shoes. I had been running in Mizuno 11's from the last year and upgraded to the 12's and they were the ones giving me greif a couple weeks ago so I bought another pair of 11's. Being new shoes they'll take abit of time to feel comfortable.

Anyway burtn over 4000 calories that run so I deserve a decent serving of nachos tonight.

16km @ 6:15/km

Was meant to run 20km today but had only 1 gel so I stretched it out to 10km before I took it then my legs went empty at about 15km.

Longer hopefully. I run first thing in the morning about 5.30am so like to fuel up the night before the long runs.
Alot of the journey has been an experiment to find what works. Last night I ate a normal dinner with minimal carbs and really struggled today plus probably didn't hydrate enough and lack of gels on the run.

Ran 28km yesterday but meant to do 32km again but fell short. Ran outta juice. I made the error of trying to go a little faster earlier in the run and it caught up with me by the end and I was cocky going into it because I had completed the run a week before. Felt great for about 20km again.

I'm over all this running though, never enjoyed it to begin with and I think the mental battle is the hardest thing to fight. I start the taper now though so hopefully in 5 weeks I'm feeling fresh and strong.

Maybe take some time off running or do it less often. I know that when I've gotten into running, it gets to a point where I just don't want to do it again for a very long time. The last few years I've done the local 12km charity run, but won't be doing it this time around as running is my least favourite type of exercise. So maybe give it a break before you totally go off it.

All good. Muscle pretty much seized up so have a few physio sessions to get it stretched out again. Hopefully miss only a week.

I have underestimated the value of stretching.

I had a small tear in my soleus earlier this year which took more than 12 weeks of physio and recovery to get right. Despite the advice of the physio I tried to come back too early too quickly for a run I wanted to do and basically made it worse. My advice for what its worth is to listen to the physio and even when you think it feels great after a couple of days of rest and some stretching take it real easy for the first one or two runs. The good thing is you are in your taper now so all the hard work is done and now you can just focus on getting to the start line as fresh as possible. Good luck with it.