• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

OHP from rack vs clean from floor

The fuck has pressing got to do with olympic weightlifting technique
Jesus Christ
4Jk6t.png

Jesus Christ
4Jk6t.png

Not much... But getting the bar from the floor to your shoulders, pretty sure quite a bit, exhibit B has both poor wrist mobility, and his larger bicep impeefs the flexion of the arm do that the bar can rest on anterior delta, his upper and lower arm are in the same plan so thus also makes it difficult, hands z tad wider it would be easier.

ONI in your other post I agree about the slight bounce to get into a decent pressing position, at this time yes you get those wings locked in to support pressing motion.

Argueing on the internet is a bit like masterbating with a cheese gratter.... Slightly interesting, mostly painfull :)

Yeah
B, as it says though is just a guy with long forearms

That image is from Starting Strength btw

Jesus Christ
4Jk6t.png

It was a 2 part response.

1. to you giving olympic lifting advice since you don't know what you are talking about.

2. Your comment about the bar being a few inches of the chest if your flare your lats to press. This is where my pressing comment came from Dick!

The press has nothing to do with olympic lifting
If the bar is off your chest, for it to be held statically you need to be maximally tensing your lats. No matter what your proportions are to keep a position like that without fatiguing the pressing muscles you the lats are very heavily involved. Getting into that position will teach you to use the lats, if you have short forearms then by all means start with the bar on the chest but as you're getting into position you will get the best results pre-loading the lats. This means adjusting with by flicking the bar up then down onto your lats if you clean the bar to your shoulders or getting under the bar with it at throat level then loading the lats as you push up and unrack the bar

There are no if and buts with this, no arguments, it's how it is, it's how every pressing expert has ever described it and it is hands down the best way to press a barbell overhead

The press has nothing to do with olympic lifting
If the bar is off your chest, for it to be held statically you need to be maximally tensing your lats. No matter what your proportions are to keep a position like that without fatiguing the pressing muscles you the lats are very heavily involved. Getting into that position will teach you to use the lats, if you have short forearms then by all means start with the bar on the chest but as you're getting into position you will get the best results pre-loading the lats. This means adjusting with by flicking the bar up then down onto your lats if you clean the bar to your shoulders or getting under the bar with it at throat level then loading the lats as you push up and unrack the bar

There are no if and buts with this, no arguments, it's how it is, it's how every pressing expert has ever described it and it is hands down the best way to press a barbell overhead

What do you strict press & clean Oni?

I don't strict press but I have power clean and pressed 60kg at 65kg body weight with the form illustrated in Starting Strength v3

That is irrelevant anyway. If you look at how rip, starr, wendler, pstatouline, carter, (insert strength coach here) teaches it, they all explain this. You literally just have to pick up a copy of SS, 5/3/1 or PTTP and it is all explained. Saying that you don't need to pre-load the lats is like saying that triceps are not important in the bench press. No one would ever logically argue it otherwise and I honestly have no idea why this discussion is even happening

I don't strict press but I have power clean and pressed 60kg at 65kg body weight with the form illustrated in Starting Strength v3

So you are yet to power clean bodyweight & you can't even push press bodyweight, is that correct?

Your caught up in irrelevant technial jargon again and it isn't doing you any good because your press is weak.

If someone can't push press their bodyweight I think they are doing something very wrong in their training. I also think if you can't clean bodyweight (form aside) you are weak.

Last edited:
lol I push press well above my body weight, I clean far above it as well. I have no reason to demonstrate my strength in the strict press. So those statements are completely false that you're making.
Using the lats is basic advice, you do not need to be an olympic lifting coach or whatever ridiculous statement you choose to know how important it is.

It's literally like you saying a beginner is full of shit for saying you need to set up on your traps when you bench, or that you need to begin a deadlift by driving your quads into the ground. Nobody would dispute that, this is no different. It's basic technique in the press. If you think differently, you're simply a moron because I can't find a single article on the press that doesn't mention this technique. Even frat boys in the anytime fitness talk about sitting the bar on the lats as you press

lol I push press well above my body weight, I clean far above it as well. I have no reason to demonstrate my strength in the strict press. So those statements are completely false that you're making.
Using the lats is basic advice, you do not need to be an olympic lifting coach or whatever ridiculous statement you choose to know how important it is.

It's literally like you saying a beginner is full of shit for saying you need to set up on your traps when you bench, or that you need to begin a deadlift by driving your quads into the ground. Nobody would dispute that, this is no different. It's basic technique in the press. If you think differently, you're simply a moron because I can't find a single article on the press that doesn't mention this technique. Even frat boys in the anytime fitness talk about sitting the bar on the lats as you press

Your the one that posted the weights up there or are you just losing track of your bullshit again?

I don't believe that you can strict press 60kg @ 64kg bw and only bench 75kg. That would indicate strong tri's and back which would carry over to your bench.

I'm done arguing with you, you have won the internet Oni congratulations I concede.

A press isn't a push press you idiot
The only overhead pressing I do is push pressing these days, I push press the same as I bench from behind the neck and have one arm push pressed the 38kg bell above my head

ITT: People dispute basic pressing technique
Fluffy: Answer with a simple yes or no: Does using the lats as a shelf to load them vastly improve the amount of weight you can press?

A press isn't a push press you idiot
The only overhead pressing I do is push pressing these days, I push press the same as I bench from behind the neck and have one arm push pressed the 38kg bell above my head

ITT: People dispute basic pressing technique
Fluffy: Answer with a simple yes or no: Does using the lats as a shelf to load them vastly improve the amount of weight you can press?

I don't know what the fuck using lats as a shelf even means however I do know anyone pressing heavy (close to bodyweight and over) is using lats, tris, traps. If your not you wouldn't be getting that shit over head.

I have never disputed you use your lats pressing what was idiotic was when you said start the lift with the bar off your chest. Then when two posters called you on it you went into baffle and bullshit mode.

....This shit is getting old. Seems to be the same person involved in this horse shit 'discussions' each time. Just let shit go, doesn't seem that hard....
27682857.jpg

For optimal power from the bottom, the forearms need to be vertical from both the front and the side
This position depends entirely on limb lengths and is 100% individual. For the lats to be loaded, they need to be tight and the bar needs to rest on top of them. Nobody would ever dispute this

I like the overhead press because I just take the bar out of the rack, step back and press it overhead. If I fail, I just need to get stronger. Sure there is obviously correct technique but don't overcomplicate such a good simple exercise, just get it done.