• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

OHP from rack vs clean from floor

Semillon

Has anyone else noticed that if they clean the bar from the floor prior to overhead presses rather than just lifting it out from the rack at chest height, you are able to press more weight / the same weight feels easier?

I am trying to work out why on earth this would be the case for me - my guess at the moment is cleaning the bar gets me into a better starting position?

my guess at the moment is cleaning the bar gets me into a better starting position?

activating more of the back prior to pressing? creating more of a systemic response, test, endorphins etc prior to pressing???

I just find the energy you use to clean it saps energy for the press. Plus the bar is often not in the ideal position or grip.

Sounds like youre not using your lats as a shelf when pressing and cleaning the bar cues this

No momentum at play, I clean the bar, pause with it on my upper chest, then do 5 reps.

Ah ok. Thought you were going all at once. Good exercise though. Maybe it's in your head and you're more prepared for the weight??

when i OHP from the racks i feel like im gonna pass out, anyone else get this? feels really shit

Indirect stimulus? Priming the CNS, similar to depth jumps for squats/sprinters..?

I find this aswell, specifically for the lower end sets of 3 or less reps.

I find this too, I think it's cause I lean back more standing after I clean it for some reason.

When I'm free standing I can make my body look more like this:

o
\
/

Facing -> That way. (c) joe 2012 on image

Rack or floor, my push press is the same.
you just have to mess about with grip a tad more if you clean it.

Look into using the lats as a shelf. Just google it as it's hard to explain
Do a load of chin-ups first so they are activated and have a pump and it will be easier. The bar should be off the chest a few inches and set if you get it right

Maybe someone who actually trains people can explain it better lol. I think about pulling my shoulders down with my lats when I do it. I rarely strict press though and stick to push press variants where it's not as important

If your doing decent cleans, so that the topic even matters than have fun catching it a few inches off your chest, when I catch a clean it lands on my delts/uppsr chest, and can feel the bar flexing/ bouncing, no way I am holding that just in my hands with the wrist bent right back...

But yes engage the lats drive the elbows forward for momentum and then the delts and then tris take over,..just like a benchpresss

you don't catch it on that lats from the clean lol you drive it up with your knees a little and set it at the same time you adjust your grip

you don't catch it on that lats from the clean lol you drive it up with your knees a little and set it at the same time you adjust your grip

At no point did trofius say you catch it on your lats.
Also Oni have you had any training in proper olympic lifting technique??

And if the bar is sitting off the chest you need to work on your flexibility.