• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Overhead press thread

Well done Bazza, 100kg military press is impressive.

I am spewing i never did the exercise when at my peak years ago, although i did 6 reps on 95kg behind neck.

My best pressing though was when i was just 80kg (1981 or 1982) and cleaned 80kg, put it behind my neck, sat down on edge of bench with no back support, and did 87.5kg.

We should put a thread for video lifts of miitary press for forum members. Perhaps you could lead when you go for 105kg next time.

Your 95kg BTN press for reps is way more impressive.

This PB has confirmed my love for BTN presses. After 2 failed build ups and attempts at 100kg I dropped normal presses for BTN.

After a month of BTN presses hit this press PB from the front without doing them in that time.

i find pressing out in front really difficult and barely get 100kg. All the benching i have done makes me throw it too far out in front (same problem with jerks). No problems behind the neck - did 140 standing press behind the neck some years ago with a little cheat at the start and still easily rep 90 seated behind the neck.

I suck at OHP... Not sure why I've had such a drop in this lift..

Tried a 1 rm and stopped at 70kg as I was pretty much at my limit... My bodyweight is 105kg...

In early 2012 i was doing 3x5 of 75kg at 122kg bodyweight...

Today I struggle to do a triple at 60kg... I really should divert more attention to this lift...

I note my bench press strength has not diminished with the weight loss... Will see what I can do over the next 12 weeks to turn my OHP around...

115kg bodyweight here. I strict pressed 80kg for a triple on Saturday. Best I've done is 95kg for a grindy single last year. I think I'd be good for ~90kg at the moment.

I stopped strict pressing for a while, to focus on push pressing, and it went down a lot, so more strict pressing seems to help me the most ;)

Bazza that is right, push press more to do with leg drive and skill, albeit that upper body strength here more relevant than with jerk.

I used to do 4 by 5 reps on push press on 100kg weighing just 80kg, and squatting just 132.5kg for a single.

Now i am older, and perhaps still stronger, i struggle to get 100kg, as my clip on other thread indicates.

Great exercise for indication of power though. One of greatest shot putters ever (Brian Oldfield) rated it number one exercise.

Interesting thread.

I've decided to include some form of OHP on my upper power day.

My shoulders are just crap - I really need wider shoulders.

I started with push pressing this morning, but after reading this, I think I'll go with strict overhead pressing instead. Undecided as to whether I'll do it in front or behind the neck. Or seated or standing for that matter, although probably standing.

I've almost exclusively done dumbell shoulder press in the past (and will continue to do so on my shoulder hypertrophy day). I've gotten up to sets of 5 with the 42.5kg dumbbells.

But when it comes to strict overhead pressing, I'm weak as piss. Probably struggle with 60kgs :(

Great exercise for indication of power though. One of greatest shot putters ever (Brian Oldfield) rated it number one exercise.

Magnus Samuelsson also rates it as a top exercise for 'power'.

Interesting thread.

I've decided to include some form of OHP on my upper power day.

My shoulders are just crap - I really need wider shoulders.

If you're referring to side / rear delts this article indicates it's not the best exercise for them - it mainly targets the front delts. They get some work, of course. I have pretty small side delts, and 85kg overhead press should make that otherwise... but it doesn't.

I agree push press is a awesome exercise in its own right, like people have said great for power. Just not great for direct carryover to the press.

I think OHP is great exercise for bigger shoulders, well its works for me anyway. I'm not really a huge fan of most of Bret Conreras stuff.

If you're referring to side / rear delts this article indicates it's not the best exercise for them - it mainly targets the front delts. They get some work, of course. I have pretty small side delts, and 85kg overhead press should make that otherwise... but it doesn't.

Hmm interesting.

Yes, I am referring to side / rear delts, as Bazza was mentioning width. Maybe that just works for him then?

Shoulder width has never been my strength, but my front delts are fairly sizeable.

I feel like shoulder width is something I am sorely lacking, yet side delts don't seem to really response very well (e.g. to lateral raises). Although I love doing them, and can definitely feel it hitting the side head, they are still way out of proportion.

Massive delts: a press, upright row (wider grip) and a major back rowing exercise.

Get strong at all three, using good form, and you will have good delts.

I find even Arnold Press, with its twisting motion, still not great for rear delts, so look to pulling exercises to work rear delts more.

Of course, isolations exercises more specific to delts, but i am referring to complex movements.

Hmm interesting.

Yes, I am referring to side / rear delts, as Bazza was mentioning width. Maybe that just works for him then?

Shoulder width has never been my strength, but my front delts are fairly sizeable.

I feel like shoulder width is something I am sorely lacking, yet side delts don't seem to really response very well (e.g. to lateral raises). Although I love doing them, and can definitely feel it hitting the side head, they are still way out of proportion.

Hi p

When you say shoulder width, am I right in thinking you would like to increase the size of you medial delt?

I beleive any movement whether that is a pressing movement or pulling will involve all three heads to a degree.

What I beleive is the fundamental difference is bone structure in that some people's shoulder just look naturally broad, having said that, I think it is still possible to improve the size of all three heads but very difficult to isolate the medial as three work together.

One option is to Pre-exhaust the medial with flys then quickly go to a pressing movement.

You do this because not only do the delts recover very quickly, they fatigue quickly also.

The delts will fatigue long before the triceps.

But having said all that, as I mentioned the delts all receive stimulus and all grow as a result so it might appear that there is no change but intact your shoulder has grown considerably.

What I have noticed over the years though is that the lateral delt has developed considerably due to pulling as I beleive that in most people the rear delt is not pronounced due to under development as a result of more focus on pushing than pulling, poor programming, wrong choices.

The standing press, is the most efficiant builder of the shoulder girdle.

Last edited: