• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Overhead press thread

95kg bodyweight.

Strict Overhead Pressing 95kg for 5x5... Have been stuck for a couple of weeks though.

Am hoping to drop to 5x3 for awhile and get to 100kg 5x5.

Massive delts: a press, upright row (wider grip) and a major back rowing exercise.

Get strong at all three, using good form, and you will have good delts.

I find even Arnold Press, with its twisting motion, still not great for rear delts, so look to pulling exercises to work rear delts more.

Of course, isolations exercises more specific to delts, but i am referring to complex movements.

Also interesting.

Cheers

Hi p

When you say shoulder width, am I right in thinking you would like to increase the size of you medial delt?

I beleive any movement whether that is a pressing movement or pulling will involve all three heads to a degree.

What I beleive is the fundamental difference is bone structure in that some people's shoulder just look naturally broad, having said that, I think it is still possible to improve the size of all three heads but very difficult to isolate the medial as three work together.

One option is to Pre-exhaust the medial with flys then quickly go to a pressing movement.

You do this because not only do the delts recover very quickly, they fatigue quickly also.

The delts will fatigue long before the triceps.

But having said all that, as I mentioned the delts all receive stimulus and all grow as a result so it might appear that there is no change but intact your shoulder has grown considerably.

What I have noticed over the years though is that the lateral delt has developed considerably due to pulling as I beleive that in most people the rear delt is not pronounced due to under development as a result of more focus on pushing than pulling, poor programming, wrong choices.

The standing press, is the most efficiant builder of the shoulder girdle.

Yes I am talking about increasing the size of my medial delt (I love that look when the arms go up, and the shoulders curve outwards). I assume there is nothing you can do to make your overall frame wider.

It is possible that my front delts just overshadow the side and rear delts, hence giving a narrow-shouldered appearance.

In any case, I am going to try some of the things you have suggested above, as well as what Spartacus suggested.

Just to clarify, are you talking about supersetting the lateral raises with overhead pressing?

Last edited:
I'd do overhead press every day if I could! Love it! Best strict press is 125kg, pp 150kg and with slight power jerk is 170kg

Also interesting.

Cheers

Yes I am talking about increasing the size of my medial delt (I love that look when the arms go up, and the shoulders curve outwards). I assume there is nothing you can do to make your overall frame wider.

It is possible that my front delts just overshadow the side and rear delts, hence giving a narrow-shouldered appearance.

In any case, I am going to try some of the things you have suggested above, as well as what Spartacus suggested.

Just to clarify, are you talking about supersetting the lateral raises with overhead pressing?

Good question, I'm referring to a concept of Pre-fatigue.
Whereas in this case you do one set only, use a given weight and do a number of rep's to fatigue, your medial delt should be burning, you cease the set when you are unable to lift it.

Then, and this is crucial... Without any rest do presses to fatigue, your triceps have fresh strength, your pecs have fresh strength, enabling you to still further work the medial delt.

Two sets max with the press, the second set, have someone reduce the weight on the bar and go to fatigue.

But normally one set of prssing is sufficient to stimulate growth

The trick is no rest and have it set-up before you proceed.

Yes, sorry, I meant lateral raises.

Have a few practice runs.

Good question, I'm referring to a concept of Pre-fatigue.
Whereas in this case you do one set only, use a given weight and do a number of rep's to fatigue, your medial delt should be burning, you cease the set when you are unable to lift it.

Then, and this is crucial... Without any rest do presses to fatigue, your triceps have fresh strength, your pecs have fresh strength, enabling you to still further work the medial delt.

Two sets max with the press, the second set, have someone reduce the weight on the bar and go to fatigue.

But normally one set of prssing is sufficient to stimulate growth

The trick is no rest and have it set-up before you proceed.

Yes, sorry, I meant lateral raises.

Have a few practice runs.

Hmm, might give this a go.

So what would you suggest for a full shoulder workout then?

I'm finding that my workouts are a bit too long at the moment and I'm struggling to fit everything in.

yes, there is enough there forme to put your 150 and 170 up, but hope you can post a barbell military press and push press just to inspire the masses.

Last edited:
Hmm, might give this a go.

So what would you suggest for a full shoulder workout then?

I'm finding that my workouts are a bit too long at the moment and I'm struggling to fit everything in.

What works for me are abbreviated ones, I respond better to full body workouts pistachio.

But I believe that if you have a variation of a pull and a push throughout the week, you'll have things covered.

I still think one needs to incorporate a combination of either, a squat, deadlift or leg press with upper body each work out, three times a week, then that really ensures growth throughout the body.

Bloody awesome. Any tips for a big overhead press.

What got my overhead up was following the 5/3/1 template. Big gains, works for some, not for others. So you need to try a few different things. Tricep work is really inportant too. Floor presses, board presses, sling shot anything to overload the tricep.

Right now Im just doing strict pressing but alternating each week between log and seated barbell press, mixing it up to trigger more growth

When you strict press the bar is racked on the front of the shoulders at the start and locked out behind the head like a jerk would be

So a press in the squat rack?

What part is strict?

My interpretation is.

1. Military press

Legs (feet) together and Knees locked, at attention, hence military.

2. Standing press

Feet roughly shoulder width apart slight bend and knee

3. Push press

Same as standing press, but with a push from the hip

4. Seated press

Same as 2 but sitting down

Real men pick the bar up from the ground and use the squat rack for curling