• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Overhead press thread

best miitary press in recent times (last 15 months) for 4 reps 80kg, arnold press 4 on 66kg (2 x 33kg dumbells).

I reckon i would get even more on normal dumbell presses.

What?
I am asking what weight people dumbbell OHP compared to what they barbell press.

All I used to do was db presses in my get swole days I could rep 35kg dbs for 5 but could only get a couple reps at bb ohp for 60kg. Now I can hit 80kg on the bb but only get 1 rep for 30kg dbs.

I think their really different exercisrs but compliment eachother.

yes, every excercise has a unique feel.

However, the only one i am really interested in improving again is overhead press, after a power clean.

The rest are just variations.

Last edited:
Yeah... You fellas lit my fire....

I'm going to try and improve my OHP over the next 12 weeks... Something I haven't really concentrated on before...

Would dumbell OHP help get barbell press numbers up, or am I wasting my time and effort with DB's and just stick with BB? Just not sure how I can overcome my plateau with this exercise!

You don't need arbitrary numbers just lift the fuckers, and report back.

Do you think I am not lifting? and in the mean time I am just interested in numbers the other people are putting on dumbbells compared to a barbell.

I

Would dumbell OHP help get barbell press numbers up, or am I wasting my time and effort with DB's and just stick with BB? Just not sure how I can overcome my plateau with this exercise!

Hepburn press course

Press 3 times a week.

Take a weight, lets use 50 kg and perform 3 reps, 5 sets.

Keep the same weight but add one more set each workout until you have done 10 sets with the 50 kg.

This will take you 2 weeks or 6 workouts.

Now drop back to 5 sets, 3 reps, but add 2.5 kg.

Continue the addage of 2.5 kg's every seventh workout.

A great course if you are stuck on a weight.

Jungman this would be your answer....

After my PL comp in 2 weeks, I'm thinking of doing a program that emphasises OHP (and, consequently, upper body as a whole) more for 10 weeks before peaking for the next competition. I'm thinking a light press/heavy bench day at the start of the week, and a heavy press/light bench day at the end of the week. Something like this:

Heavy Bench/Light Press
Bench Press 2x5, 1x10
CGBP 2x10
Incline BP 2x10
OHP 3x10
A butt-load of pull ups and rows

Heavy Press/Light Bench
OHP 3x5
Push Press 2x5
DB Press 2x8-12
Bench Press 3x10
A butt-load of pull ups and rows

Any thoughts?

In terms of upper body bench/military related sets now I'm doing
Bench: 5 sets
Incline bench: 3-4 sets
Dips: 3-4 sets
Military press: 5 sets
Shoulder side laterals (mainly front delts): 3 sets
Skull crushers: 3 sets

(2x a week)
To give you some indication of volume. Gonna up it as soon as I come off a diet, too. About 15-20 sets for back/biceps on another day...

Last edited:
I thought I'll add for a large part of my training career I rarely did ohp, and it was weak as piss. Bringing my ohp up closer to where it should be broke my very frustrating bench plateau.

From that I learn that if you have a glaring weakness in a particular lift, bringing it up will tend to have carry-over into somewhat similar lifts.

Would there be any pros or cons to doing OHP almost exclusively with dumbbells?

Good question.

Shoulder stability in a pressing moment is the make or break.

The bicep is often neglected in that it plays a critical role.

If you "goose neck" your arm and then feel the bicep with the opposite hand you'll notice it feels flaccid, by rotating your hand the biceps (that cross over the shoulder) contract.

So if you have some Contrainindications as to why you cannot press with a barbell, dumb bells could be an answer.

I think a barbell designed with hands facing and a spacing of about 700mm would be the perfect pressing tool.

The Arnold press is probably the best method to use and I would only use one dumbbell at a time, standing up holding onto something with the other hand.

Last edited: