• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sugar & Milk in your eating plan.

k_21

Guys,

I'm curious to know the following.

My eating habbits have improved
200% since starting my gym routine
about 8 weeks ago. I'm not 100%
happy with it just yet due to skipping,
meals, eating the wrong thing etc.

Anyway my questions are I've been
consuming 'skinny milk' and avoiding
sugars where ever I can. Eg: only have
2 coffees with sugar during the day at
MOST!

Do you guys still have sugar and milk
on your list? or cut them out completely?

Thanks
Devante.

Sugars pre/post workout for the insulin hit, milk maybe post workout or if I was eating above maintenance and needed to take it a lot of calories. Other than that I keep them out completely.

At home, first coffee of the day I take with 2 x brown sugar.
Rest of the day at work, I take coffee with sugarine tablets.
I don't drink milk.

Brown sugar is the same as white it just contains molasis ( i dno how to spell it)

This is a hard topic, what do you mean by sugars..

Yes i consume sugars daily , lactose, fructose and glucose In the form of dairy fruit and dextrose post workout...

There is never a time to add refined bad products to your NORMAL daily diet.

Thats what people have to under stand. If you want to be healthy and look good you cant eat shit that everyone else eats.

Not many people are able to make that sacrafice so they turn back to their old ways of bad health and looking like shit.

Health is for life, there will never be a day where you say ok i got where i am i dont have to train anymore or eat properly anymore. It doesnt work like that .

Do not worry about all the science stuff, keep it simple. Food has got two basic things: energy and nutrition (vitamins, minerals, etc). Some food has got a lot of energy, some a lot of nutrition, some more one than the other.

Sugar and milk are just foods like any other, they are not inherently good or bad. What matters is that you get plenty of nutrition with the energy you consume. 500 calories of milk is a lot better for you than 500 calories of coke.

So in that respect pure sugar is not awesome, it gives you energy and nothing else. A spoonful in your tea in the morning isn't going to matter, it's stuff like lemonade (usually 10% by weight sugar, so if you have 1lt lemonade you are having a cup of sugar) that's going to knock you back in your goals.

The total energy going in matters, and the nutrition you have matters. So eat a wide variety of nutritious food - fruit, vegies, nuts, beans, meat, fish and dairy - and not so much high-energy-low-nutrition food - lemonade, McDs, chocky, booze, etc.

Strawberry milk is like crack to me, I drink a lot of it.

I am, however, not bothering myself with my diet beyond 'eat stuff'.

If you can cut out sugar and milk indefinitely, and it is relevant to your goals, go for it. If it is not a dietary change that will stick, I would just enjoy your coffee :)

Sorry to side track - but what is the deal with tea. I have about 3-4 cups of white tea a day, is there something specifically wrong with tea? I did a search but turned up a blank but seemed to have picked up that it is bad somehow. Cheers.

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm pretty good with NOT drinking
soft drinks of any kind. More green
tea and water.

Just wanted to know if I stopped
milk and sugar my "spare tire" would
come off sooner!!???

A lot of the old 'spare tyre' syndrome is due to insulin resistance couples with too many calories. To decrease your insulin resistance you can exercise, increase muscle mass (ding two down for you) and reduce sugar intake. This will lead to a reduction in insulin resistance and eventually no spare tyre. It can take a while to get to the level you should be at so you may have a little fat on your abs (mainly lower) for a little longer than normal compared to the rest of your body but it will drop down. Also reducing sugar levels reduces calories which reduces body fat which is another way of it contributing to your smaller and eventually non-existent spare tyre. I have the same problem, screwed up my insulin sensitivity through lots of white processed carbs and cordial during my teens, fixed it a bit during early 20's then screwed it again over the last 2 years so I have more trouble dropping the stomach fat.

Nothing wrong with tea Rev, unless it has high caffeine levels or added sugar. Usually it won't and is a much better choice than coffee.

Sorry to side track - but what is the deal with tea. I have about 3-4 cups of white tea a day, is there something specifically wrong with tea? I did a search but turned up a blank but seemed to have picked up that it is bad somehow. Cheers.

Caffeine bad,

Im waiting for my new book to arrive,

Caffeine blues

Do a google on it...

From what i have read it takes 23 cups of water to remove the acidic effects of coffee on the body. Im not sure what tea is exactly...

Its not just sugar is sugar caffeine is caffeine tea is tea. You have to look much deeper...

Green tea is very acidic forming to the body. You have to out weight that with the benefits of l-thenanine and antioxidents. Vitamin C is an anti oxident and i use non caffinated teas containing antioxidants personally.

You can also supplement L-thenanine itself.

So you are getting all the helath benefits of green tea without the bad stuff.

Caffeine is a toxin just like nicotine. They are both natural defensive mechanisms for plants to ward of predators.

Rooibos tea is a great alternative.

Some people have this mentality of "1 cup a day wont kill you' well it isnt about killing you. It is about the search for optimal physical and mental health.

Smoking a pack a day might not kill you it doesnt mean it is a good thing to do and people need to avoid this kind of mentality.

A lot of the old 'spare tyre' syndrome is due to insulin resistance couples with too many calories. To decrease your insulin resistance you can exercise, increase muscle mass (ding two down for you) and reduce sugar intake. This will lead to a reduction in insulin resistance and eventually no spare tyre. It can take a while to get to the level you should be at so you may have a little fat on your abs (mainly lower) for a little longer than normal compared to the rest of your body but it will drop down. Also reducing sugar levels reduces calories which reduces body fat which is another way of it contributing to your smaller and eventually non-existent spare tyre. I have the same problem, screwed up my insulin sensitivity through lots of white processed carbs and cordial during my teens, fixed it a bit during early 20's then screwed it again over the last 2 years so I have more trouble dropping the stomach fat.

Caffeine can cause insulin resistance in healthy people...

Caffeine Can Decrease Insulin Sensitivity in Humans ? Diabetes Care

... Ontop of what i said above this is another reason to avoid caffeine!

Im in the same boat as you... expect i never had proper hormone levels so you can only imagine what i looked like!

Asians drink tea every day and they aren't usually fat. Green tea is awesome!! Try some oolong. Don't add milk. Flavour it with a squeeze of lemon and a bit of honey.

Asians drink tea every day and they aren't usually fat. Green tea is awesome!! Try some oolong. Don't add milk. Flavour it with a squeeze of lemon and a bit of honey.

i didnt say anything about fat?

I knew a girl who ate mcdonalds for lunch everyday and had one of the fitest bodies you have ever seen...

I assume eating mcdonalds is therefore good because she isnt fat!

I saw those people on tv using the ab king pro they werent fat so im guessing that works as well..

Last edited:
My brother in-law eats like shit and he isn't fat. He has also always been skinny and now works as a landscaper. He is also asian. You have to look at the whole picture as to why people are thin and some are not. I have seen some people downing crap all the time and are still thin but if I were to eat lollies all the time I get fat. Do not judge something just because others can do it, especially in regards to fat loss/gain.

Noobs was also referring to caffeine and its negative affects on health besides just fat gain.

I wasn't replying to anything from you N00bs. Just my general opinion that tea is good for you.

Edit: I personally believe the Asian and Mediterranean diet to be some of the best in the world. I could go on and on and on about tea, but i thought i'd keep it short and sweet lol.

Last edited:
Caffeine can cause insulin resistance in healthy people..
n00bs you remind me of when medical students get to around 2nd-3rd year and start diagnosing themselves with all sorts of rare and obscure diseases.

Your nutrition course is making you crazy. Relax. Have a cup of coffee and an iced vovo.

Hahahah Kyle! I was going to say that. Self diagnosis is a bitch. N00bs is consumed in this course of his. I hope he makes it out alive.

:p

(no offence N00bs, it's good to enjoy what you do)

Last edited:
Thanks, I have now googled, current science seems to be most of the benefits of tea are blunted by milk...black tea seemed to be recommended.

And yet milk is good for building muscle.

Perhaps if it's not in the same cup... but then it'll be in your stomach together... hmmm what about if it's in the duodenum, is that okay...

Oh no, what to do?

Wow, study A says food X is essential and good for you, study B says food Y is essential and good for you, add it all up and you exceed your caloric requirements and turn fat which is also bad for you, and...

Oh dear. It's almost as if we should all just avoid the obvious crap foods like McDs, not worry too much about these other things and just eat a varied diet or something.