• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The "Lets flog a dead horse and talk about bench ROM" thread

I was going to link you a clip and say "I can show you better". But I can't. I just burst out laughing.

maybe there could be a rule where elbow, at bottom of lift when bar touching chest, is either lined up with some part of wrist or closer towards the body.

It would be no harder to judge than squat depth; probably easier as front judge would have clear view.

Last edited:
maybe there could be a rule where elbow, at bottom of lift when bar touching chest, is either lined up with some part of wrist or closer towards the body.

I don't know the solution but I would think that even the most die hard powerlifter thinks that is a joke, maybe not? It's not an easy one to fix but surely a few ideas need to be thrown around?

yes it is a hard one.

But at moment rules penalise tall lifters who cannot do ultra-wide stance like shorter lifters do, with later lifters hardly do any press.

As you can see from my lift, I am not far away from ring on bar which must be touched, yet short lifters can do a much greater width spacing in accordance to rules. and I am only 186cm tall what about 2.00m lifters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0YhiJSBbEM

I don't know the solution but I would think that even the most die hard powerlifter thinks that is a joke, maybe not? It's not an easy one to fix but surely a few ideas need to be thrown around?

Most die hard powerlifters think its a bench press. Some might suggest its more technique than strength but its still a bench press. Ideas have been thrown around for years and each time they've been voted down because they're stupid ideas. Learn to live with it guys.

I reckon what is stupid is the movement in clip (not me but the short guy).

Would be laughed out of town by most viewers, except maybe powerlifters.

having a set spacing, which does not take account of height between a dwarf and someone above average height, is not a good rule.

But, hey, no sport has perfect rules.

the other way would be to remove markings.

At least then all lifters could do this ultra short movement, not just short people.

How about this.
and I think I'm ok bringing this up lol.

1. In the flat bench press, be it straight bar, plate loaded or machine, is the prime mover the pectoralis major or the triceps?
2. At full extension in a flat bench press is the pectoralis major fully contracted?
3. What anatomical plane does the flat bench press occur in?

contorting the torso in an extreme manner, as in that vid, does this change the emphasis?

Most die hard powerlifters think its a bench press. Some might suggest its more technique than strength but its still a bench press. Ideas have been thrown around for years and each time they've been voted down because they're stupid ideas. Learn to live with it guys.

Lol. Its fucked. That's what it is.