• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The "Lets flog a dead horse and talk about bench ROM" thread

well that is a point that needs to be considered.

All I am suggesting is that short guys need to give no consideration to markings, because they are short.

Tall guys do however.

This guarantees that short guys have greater choice in terms of techniques used.

In squat and deadlift, no disadvantage in terms of where to hold bar.

I said it had been brought up more than once by someone but each time it gets voted down because its a stupid rule change.

yes, I know this. Just saying it is an issue that may come up again in future; and why not. I don't think it is a good look for sport. That is my humble opinion.

The fact is has been discussed does not mean that rule changes will not occur in future.

well that is a point that needs to be considered.

All I am suggesting is that short guys need to give no consideration to markings, because they are short.

Tall guys do however.

This guarantees that short guys have greater choice in terms of techniques used.

In squat and deadlift, no disadvantage in terms of where to hold bar.

But then short armed guys get fucked over in the deadlift. Do you want to make long armed guys pull from a deficit? Or let short armed guys pull from blocks? And what about squat levers? Should we make adjustments for that too?

This whole argument is fucking retarded.

But then short armed guys get fucked over in the deadlift. Do you want to make long armed guys pull from a deficit? Or let short armed guys pull from blocks? And what about squat levers? Should we make adjustments for that too?

This whole argument is fucking retarded.

No, I don't think it is retarded. What is retarded is how some of these lifts look. A

I hear the deadlift argument too.

But I am not talking about that. I am suggesting there should be no markings for any lifts. At least my idea is consistent for all lifts.

For a 2m guy to do a lift like the 17 year old in clip, the width of markings may have to be 10cm wider each side.

I wont argue about it, but do feel that such realities will always complicate powerlifting's wider appeal.

How about this.
and I think I'm ok bringing this up lol.

1. In the flat bench press, be it straight bar, plate loaded or machine, is the prime mover the pectoralis major or the triceps?
2. At full extension in a flat bench press is the pectoralis major fully contracted?
3. What anatomical plane does the flat bench press occur in?

contorting the torso in an extreme manner, as in that vid, does this change the emphasis?

remember some tall guys also have relatively shorter arms which may mean they are still better benchers than deadlifters. And vice versa.

The argument should be more about bench press.

to be honest, I reckon judging the elbow in line with the wrist would be so easy to judge.

You would have to be blind to miss it.

This would still allow different styles, elbows wide and elbows tucked in.

More importantly, it would get rid of these comical lifts.

No, I don't think it is retarded. What is retarded is how some of these lifts look. A

I hear the deadlift argument too.

But I am not talking about that. I am suggesting there should be no markings for any lifts. At least my idea is consistent for all lifts.

For a 2m guy to do a lift like the 17 year old in clip, the width of markings may have to be 10cm wider each side.

And BAM, finger amputations galore!

Its a safety rule, not a stick it to the tall guys rule. Trying to argue against it because it inadvertently favours a shorter armed lifter IS FUCKING RETARDED.

And you do realise that super wide benchers (like myself) do put themselves at a disadvantage by going so wide. It inhibits our lockout power greatly. If we don't get the speed off the chest we're doomed. Closer grip benchers can grind out lifts with tricep power.

Strong is strong

Yeagh, I remember this guy telling me he did 3 plates for reps behind his neck. Only trouble was there was a guy behind him lifting also.

Strong is indeed strong, but some lifts just don't impress me.

I am picky on that one. Those 2 inch reps in gyms, either powerlifting style or bare movements from the chest, just don't excite me.

to be honest, I reckon judging the elbow in line with the wrist would be so easy to judge.

You would have to be blind to miss it.

This would still allow different styles, elbows wide and elbows tucked in.

More importantly, it would get rid of these comical lifts.

Woohoo, more things for the ref to have to watch for! Yay! Should we start bringing protractors to comps to measure the angles?

Its a safety rule, not a stick it to the tall guys rule. Trying to argue against it because it inadvertently favours a shorter armed lifter IS FUCKING RETARDED.

And you do realise that super wide benchers (like myself) do put themselves at a disadvantage by going so wide. It inhibits our lockout power greatly. If we don't get the speed off the chest we're doomed. Closer grip benchers can grind out lifts with tricep power.

So safety is a consideration?
cool

only offering an opinion Ben about why rules are severely unfair for taller lifters.

But how hard would it be to have benches with wider stands or narrow ones. I used to train on narrow stands for bench press for years.

Wherever there is a will, there is a way.

There could also be a compromise by expanding markings, and designing benches to accommodate wider lifts.

As for gyms, most weight trainers are sensible enough to do better form with closer width which actually activates the pecs and so on.

Woohoo, more things for the ref to have to watch for! Yay! Should we start bringing protractors to comps to measure the angles?

Come on ben, how would it be any different from judging squats, especially wit a lot of big people in your way.

No need for protractors, just people with a good eye and commitment to consistency.

I volunteer if need be.

now looking at my suggestion, elbow in line with some part of wrist wen bar on chest, I ask forum readers to go and judge my lift and the short person's lift.

I really don't think it would be that hard.

Come on ben, how would it be any different from judging squats, especially wit a lot of big people in your way.

No need for protractors, just people with a good eye and commitment to consistency.

I volunteer if need be.

Considering all the other things we already have to look for it would stupid. If I'm looking at their elbows I might miss a double movement on the chest. Head, chest, ass, feet and bar are already more than enough to have to watch believe me.

now looking at my suggestion, elbow in line with some part of wrist wen bar on chest, I ask forum readers to go and judge my lift and the short person's lift.

I really don't think it would be that hard.

Well forum readers can say all they want because they are experts after all, but you take it to the IPF GM and I bet they'll they'll laugh you out of the room.