• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The "Lets flog a dead horse and talk about bench ROM" thread

Well forum readers can say all they want because they are experts after all, but you take it to the IPF GM and I bet they'll they'll laugh you out of the room.

Probably right but just like the average gym goer will laugh at what can pass for a bench these days.

Probably right but just like the average gym goer will laugh at what can pass for a bench these days.

Well luckily I and most other competitive powerlifters don't give a flying fuck what the average gym goer thinks about our benches. We bench within our rules and gain competitive advantage where we can.

Again, I am just asking people if it would be hard to judge. Like I said, it would be no harder than judging a squat.

I think most people with common sense would agree with that.

Given bench has a pause, unlike squat, it would be much easier.

Last edited:
Yeah why would anyone want their sport to be better.

Strong isn't strong in powerlifting anymore.

Big totals are high squats and contorted benches.

Yeah why would anyone want their sport to be better.

Strong isn't strong in powerlifting anymore.

Big totals are high squats and contorted benches.

Whatever you might think about powerlifting as a whole the IPF is as legit as they come. Deep squats and very strictly judged benches. Strong is still strong in powerlifting but powerlifting isn't just strong.

To be fair to us retarded lay people who dare to have an opinion about powerlifting, this noble sport which generates so much interest, I don't actually think you can actually dismiss an idea until it is considered.

Who is to say that most powerlifters would not agree that someone needs to be done about bench press and the almost non-existant range of motion by some.

Just because you say this and that on behalf of the IPF elite, does not actually mean that it is true.

A sport that mocks ideas for change, no matter how flawed or logical they may be, is a sport holding itself back.

As we know, powerlifting has changed n recent years, so who knows what will be the case in 10 or 20 years.

Whatever you might think about powerlifting as a whole the IPF is as legit as they come. Deep squats and very strictly judged benches. Strong is still strong in powerlifting but powerlifting isn't just strong.

No one is judging the IPF. The debate is merely about bench press ad how it can be improved from an aesthetic point of view and to promote consistency for lifters whether tall or short.

You have got n your high horse basically because we chose to challenge the status quo, or at least discuss it.

I don't see what is retarded about what has been said.

Last edited:
To be fair to us retarded lay people who dare to have an opinion about powerlifting, this noble sport which generates so much interest, I don't actually think you can actually dismiss an idea until it is considered.

Its been considered, and dismissed. Move on dude.

Who is to say that most powerlifters would not agree that someone needs to be done about bench press and the almost non-existant range of motion by some.

Just because you say this and that on behalf of the IPF elite, does not actually mean that it is true.

Well I think the fact that the majority of the IPF GM outvoted it gives it some credibility. And I'm not speaking on behalf of all the IPF elite but I know of many who agree with me.

A sport that mocks ideas for change, no matter how flawed or logical they may be, is a sport holding itself back.

A sport that mocks stupid ideas because they're stupid is just a sport.

As we know, powerlifting has changed n recent years, so who knows what will be the case in 10 or 20 years.

True, but I'd put money on it that there won't be a minimum bench press stroke rule.

No one is judging the IPF. The debate is merely about bench press ad how it can be improved from an aesthetic point of view and to promote consistency for lifters whether tall or short.

You have got n your high horse basically because we chose to challenge the status quo, or at least discuss it.

Come on man, this is a forum, you can't discuss stuff like this here...

I think it's valid discussion. Some people just don't like change.

yeah, I reckon powerlifting will still be an unknown sport in 20 years too. But, like what you said, what has that got to do with anything.

I stand by saying it would be all too easy to judge and would improve the appeal of the sport.

As it stands, most would laugh at 5 inch movements. I cant speak for powerlifters, but would doubt that the majority would not support ideas that promote consistency, as long as they are feasible.

Last edited:

I'm on my high horse because you've brought the same stupid argument up again.

You like an academic challenge. Go to a few actual PL specific forums filled with competitive lifters (and hopefully a few elite level lifters) and bring this idea up and see what the response is. You can say all you want on this forum because there are too few powerlifters and enough gym rats who have no clue about or no investment in powerlifting and they'll back you up because they're ignorant, or jealous, or whatever, and this might make you think your idea has some validity for the sport of powerlifting but you're just flogging a (many times over) dead horse.

yeah, I reckon powerlifting will still be an unknown sport in 20 years too. But, like what you said, what has that got to do with anything.

I stand by saying it would be all too easy to judge and would improve the appeal of the sport.

As it stands, most would laugh at 5 inch movements. I cant speak for powerlifters, but would doubt that the majority would not support ideas that promote consistency, as long as they are feasible.

A lot of people do laugh at them, incredulously, but they're few and far between and they're within the rules. You really only see them amongs the women and super-light men.

I'm on my high horse because you've brought the same stupid argument up again.

You like an academic challenge. Go to a few actual PL specific forums filled with competitive lifters (and hopefully a few elite level lifters) and bring this idea up and see what the response is. You can say all you want on this forum because there are too few powerlifters and enough gym rats who have no clue about or no investment in powerlifting and they'll back you up because they're ignorant, or jealous, or whatever, and this might make you think your idea has some validity for the sport of powerlifting but you're just flogging a (many times over) dead horse.

No, but I will write to IPF with idea, just to see if I get the same sort of response as you have offered.

I would very much doubt it, although I am sure it will be dismissed.

Come on man, this is a forum, you can't discuss stuff like this here...

I think it's valid discussion. Some people just don't like change.

It might have been a valid discussion the first couple of times it was brought up years ago before it was voted out a few times. Now its just bullshit.

No, but I will write to IPF with idea, just to see if I get the same sort of response as you have offered.

I would very much doubt it, although I am sure it will be dismissed.

The reply will be politer I'm sure, if you get one that is, but I'm sure it will just reference the last GM where it was voted out.

It might have been a valid discussion the first couple of times it was brought up years ago before it was voted out a few times. Now its just bullshit.

So it keeps getting brough up over and over and over and over and over and over again, but nothing changes...weird, cause that sort of sounds like a problem that needs addressing and changing

The reply will be politer I'm sure, if you get one that is, but I'm sure it will just reference the last GM where it was voted out.

I am sure you are right. But I will waste more of my life writing a brief email out of curiosity and a belief in my own retarded ideas.

Bottom line should be encouraging consistency for all lifters in terms of technique opportunity.

But, as suggested, I also think aesthetics of sport important.

You adjust technique to fit your levers. And fuck aesthetics, its all about the weight lifted within the given rules.